• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond - Are you?

• Total voters
I just think there’s so little out there. Even when Powell went, the bookies list was so uninspiring

The home form is abysmal. Crowds will decline. I know Barrett is inexperienced but so is Frank Lampard

I don’t just keep saying “Barrett” for next manager to be an arse. I do genuinely believe he will be our next manager. That could be next month or that could be in 2022 after Bond miraculously turns this around but I truly believe AB is next

Hard compare these two, FL has a second team of superstars warming the bench, many would walk into a premier league team, we barely have ones that would warm a Division two bench

If any one deserves a shot is God Kevin Maher, knows the players many have come through his system and did not do too bad a job whilst here

Many wanted the prophet Powell and look how that worked, how long would AB get if he failed to get us up the table, excuses not his team etc can only work for a while

Hard compare these two, FL has a second team of superstars warming the bench, many would walk into a premier league team, we barely have ones that would warm a Division two bench

If any one deserves a shot is God Kevin Maher, knows the players many have come through his system and did not do too bad a job whilst here

Many wanted the prophet Powell and look how that worked, how long would AB get if he failed to get us up the table, excuses not his team etc can only work for a while

Unfortunately I think that ship may have sailed for the moment. Maybe in a few years he’ll come back but can’t see it after leave to take up the job at Bristol Rovers.

I think that’s what little faith I had gone now.

Look, there’s a reason Bond has managed a combined total of 4 years in his 30-year post-playing career. It’s because he’s not a manager. He’s a good technical coach and has made a good career of coaching players at the top level. But his ideals are not suited to the League 1 footballer.

Paul Clarke put it perfectly on the radio last night. It’s an admirable philosophy but one which simply doesn’t work with his personnel. The qualities and technical attributes that you need in each position to play the way he wants to play are qualities and attributes which very, very few of our players possess. That even goes for most of the players he has signed, which I find even more bizarre. Good players in my eyes but largely-speaking, I don’t think he has gone out to acquire players who will fit into his system. He’s just got in what he can and tried to shoehorn them into his system. And these guys are not Premier League footballers, with good reason with all due respect, so they can’t be coached and moulded in the way that he’s used to with players at the top level. So everybody saying “it will come good, it will click in the end” are going on a wing and a prayer, because there is nothing I’m seeing which suggests that these players will ever settle in this system and with their instructions. So how long do we wait? If he is dead-set on playing this way then he should hold off on doing so until he has acquired the right kind of players for it. Until then, keep it simple and play a system and style which suits the players that you have and plays to their strengths. What he’s doing at the moment is accentuating the weaknesses of many of them, and Bond’s idealist view of coaching those weaknesses out of them doesn’t hold water with most players at this level. Time to be pragmatic instead. If he’s going to be pig-headed and continue to pursue this then I think we’ll have to accept that relegation is likely this season.

He’s out of his depth and needs to be put out of his misery before we fall even further behind. We missed the boat after Powell left - there were some good, young, dynamic managers available. I know that Darrell Clarke and Paul Hurst applied and I can’t get my head around why they were overlooked in favour of Bond. I do think Adam Barrett would be back in a flash and at the moment his passion for the club, his man management skills and his motivational skills are exactly what we need. After listening to what he has to say after our matches for the last couple of years, I wouldn’t say no to Paul Clark being involved either - I like the way he sees the game and he speaks an awful lot of sense.

Paul Clark would be an interesting choice as an interim manager to steady the ship should PB depart in the near future. He is very knowledgeable about the game, and was a very hard but disciplined player. He might just have a lot to offer in the current situation. But he is probably been out of the professional game too long be taken seriously by the Chairman.

Paul Clark would be an interesting choice as an interim manager to steady the ship should PB depart in the near future. He is very knowledgeable about the game, and was a very hard but disciplined player. He might just have a lot to offer in the current situation. But he is probably been out of the professional game too long be taken seriously by the Chairman.

That ship long went Kiwi Rob

Just listened to 6 mins of total nonsense in his post match interview.

The man is a moron, obviously a half decent coach but ZERO management skills, ZILCH.

4 league games... 3 different systems and 22 players used already. Bond hasn't got a clue.

Being of the opinion that around six games may be required to bed the squad in, everything I've seen, read or heard has now swung that opinion back - time to move on and get someone in who actually knows how to handle a L1 team.

I’m not saying that this would necessarily be bad or good. But you’ve got to have the aim to give 10 games at least to new managers.

In normal circumstances, I’d say that you’re right.

But we’re not getting beaten by bad luck, we’re being swept aside with ease.

The most concerning part is, we’re persisting with a system that clearly doesn’t work. Bond is so desperate for that clean sheet, that any idea of playing with an attacking intent, comes way down the priority list. Both Blackpool & Posh worked that out very quickly.

And even then, when we concede, do we change game plan? Do we throw caution to the wind? No, it’s the same old crabby passing, and slow tempo.

This is Bond’s team now, he’s made several signings, and yet still doesn’t know his best XI, or formation. Aside from the fact that we’re playing people out of position, we’re not even playing to their strengths either.

Never liked changing Gaffers at a drop of an hat,but Bondy baby you are making me very worried,i don't think your licence to thrill is working,time for you to be pushed in to the shark invested pool.
Them bloomin' cash rich sharks will invest in anything.

I’m not saying that this would necessarily be bad or good. But you’ve got to have the aim to give 10 games at least to new managers.

But the big point here is, why is everyone’s new manager selection policy always an ex player or somebody famous... I’m not saying this is you mate but it’s like people only know the names of ex players and famous players. With no understanding. Or am I being harsh?
I agree. Would prefer Maher be given the chance.

Sol Campbell - worked a miracle at Macclesfield.

Worked a miracle? He kept them up in the exact same circumstances everyone seems to think KB did with Southend....there just happened to be a worse team!!!

Honestly I despair

We've got some really good attacking players who are being stifled by Bond and in some cases not even picked.

Humphrys
Cox
Goodship
Ndukwu

All very dangerous under the right circumstances.

We don't need a clean sheet mentality we need to play to our strengths.

The real aggravating thing for me are the signings, they all seem pretty decent players. However, they do seem unable to play the way Bond wants, so why sign them in the first place ?

Some of the team selections are strange. When was the last time John White played full back. The team when announced convinced me we were going with 5 - 3 - 2 or 3 - 5 - 2. How wrong was I

I am not an advocate of triggereing managers after a short period of time but Ron needs to act pretty fast. I still believe we stayed up not because of a change of manager but because the players eventually wanted it badly.

Back