• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond. Are you?

I'm losing faith in Kevin Bond - Are you?

• Total voters
Surely It would be more odd to play two, recovering from serious injury, strikers in a meaningless cup competition.

In fact if he makes them play I would see that as more of a public punishment than some silly radio interview that neither player will be bothered about in the slightest.

Meaningless cup competition? Try telling that to Ron who would be delighted with further progress in this!

I think a lot of us have gone into this season a bit pessimistic tbh. And as I said, I think that stems from a mixture of an underwhelming pre-season, off the back of last years life & death season. Even petty things, like MTB’s day and the new kits, have failed to galvanise the fans and get them pumped up for this supposed fresh start of a new season.

There is this air of inevitability surrounding the club right now.

On any given match day, I would usually step inside Roots Hall, with quiet optimism & (delusional) ideas that just for a change, we might actually play like world beaters & win the game by a cricket score. (Of course, that’s normally put to bed relatively quickly).

I’ve got to admit, on Saturday, I didn’t. I went in there not only believing that we were probably not going to get anything from the game, but the entire spectacle had horror show written all over it. After just 12 minutes, my worst fears became reality. And sadly, most games seem to feel the same lately. For example, can anyone truly see us getting anything from Lincoln next week?

Now don’t get me wrong, there’s been plenty of times over the years where I’ve expected us to get FA out of a game, and I very rarely expect Blues to win, but this feels different atm. It feels like we’ve been defeated before a ball has been kicked. It’s as if we’re also-rans. Like we’re just here to make up the numbers. It’s never been like that before and I include our relegation seasons in that.

The only positive we’ve had really, is we’ve made some half decent signings (on paper at least).

Sadly, until the performances & results start to pick up, I think this lingering doom cloud will hang over us indefinitely

That is the the feeling I was talking about....
"Bond got it all wrong at Cov."
"Cant see us getting anything v Blackpool"
"Guaranteed to lose at Lincoln"
"Never win in the league cup"
"Bond was a mistake...Mark my word".

This was all before KO.......Sounds like Cox got the same impression as me.

Meaningless cup competition? Try telling that to Ron who would be delighted with further progress in this!

No manager is judged anymore on cup performances.....Fans made sure of that years ago. Even so you are right about Ron and it Looks like Goodship might not get his chance through injury.

Even when Millwall had that great cup run a few seasons back, their fans wanted Harris sacked for not being high enough in the league.....It was probably the lessons learnt in that cup run that finally made them Wembley winners a few months later

I do have a feeling of deja vu from the really bad old days when we were floundering in the bottom division. It is early days and I know we just need to string a few results together to put things right but I can't help feeling a bit down and not very optimistic. I hope and pray we turn this round. I can understand the pessimists feelings. COYBB
I have similar misgivings, and I think some of the players might have to, for Cox'y to say "it felt like last season" goes a long way to mitigate things.
I don't know the answer; but somethings need to change so the old failure is not kept repeating. Off the top of my head then;- build up from day before game, match day routine, pre match warm up, last minute briefing, get subs in dressing room at half time so they get updates, watch game from stands (someone!).

Our poor start does feel worse because of last year. This season I think most supporters would realistically settle for mid table as long as we saw some decent football from a hardworking team with some flair. The thought of watching another season at Roots Hall like last year is hard to contemplate and making a good start was more important than ever.

I have similar misgivings, and I think some of the players might have to, for Cox'y to say "it felt like last season" goes a long way to mitigate things.
I don't know the answer; but somethings need to change so the old failure is not kept repeating. Off the top of my head then;- build up from day before game, match day routine, pre match warm up, last minute briefing, get subs in dressing room at half time so they get updates, watch game from stands (someone!).
Most of all run a happy ship.

That is the the feeling I was talking about....
"Bond got it all wrong at Cov."
"Cant see us getting anything v Blackpool"
"Guaranteed to lose at Lincoln"
"Never win in the league cup"
"Bond was a mistake...Mark my word".

This was all before KO.......Sounds like Cox got the same impression as me.

Well, we don't exactly have a good record so this isn't a ridicilous statement.

Well I haven't lost faith in Bond. I just didn't have any to start with. I hope I am made to eat my words, but for the moment I did and still think it a strange appointment. Certainly a gamble. Personally think Ron should have said thank you but no thanks and looked for someone else.

Reading this ... if you replaced Chris Powell with the name Kevin bond you would have all been lauding him up! You lot have proper turned on the manager 2 games in !!! Last year some of you, even after 38 games still thought this Powell was the man to lead us

Not in the South Upper. We were all on our feet going absolutely mental at the joke of a challenge screaming for the player to be sent off. So much so, I lost my voice, which I guess for some around me was a blessing.
The thing is Webby, rigsby was exaggerating a bit to make his point. The West was on their feet and I know the South were. Maybe he was gauging the reaction of the East?

Reading this ... if you replaced Chris Powell with the name Kevin bond you would have all been lauding him up! You lot have proper turned on the manager 2 games in !!! Last year some of you, even after 38 games still thought this Powell was the man to lead us
I think the poll says otherwise and that is a better barometer of posters opinions. When folk on the Zone have the hump over something they post loud and clear, the vast majority (and we have over 6000 members) reserve judgement.

I wouldn't trust a player who was telling tales to the chairman 2 games into a season. Nor do we want a chairman that would listen.

When Sunderland players boasted how they went to their Chairman over Di Canio..... The leader and spokes person was none other than
that pillar of the community Adam Johnson
It's hardly telling tales Bond said it on the radio, really wouldn't surprise me if Ron asks some of the players for their opinion if we lose the next couple

The thing is Webby, rigsby was exaggerating a bit to make his point. The West was on their feet and I know the South were. Maybe he was gauging the reaction of the East?
Are they still even breathing in the East?

Got to be honest, I heard chants of 'off off off' in all the home stands

It's hardly telling tales Bond said it on the radio, really wouldn't surprise me if Ron asks some of the players for their opinion if we lose the next couple

No chance. He MAY go at Christmas if we're in the bottom 3. Ron isn't one for dumping managers unless it's critical.

No chance. He MAY go at Christmas if we're in the bottom 3. Ron isn't one for dumping managers unless it's critical.
I don't recall Ron ever employing a manager that's hung the players out to dry after the first two games of a season

Ron gave Wignall the heave ho early in November I think after a dreadful start. Famously, he didn't see the passion in Wignall's eyes. Weird thing is that Wignall signed some really important players for blues, some of whom-- Gower, Wilson, Jupp, Hunt-- played in successive promotions. Gower must rank as one of the best Southend signings ever.

Ron gave Wignall the heave ho early in November I think after a dreadful start. Famously, he didn't see the passion in Wignall's eyes. Weird thing is that Wignall signed some really important players for blues, some of whom-- Gower, Wilson, Jupp, Hunt-- played in successive promotions. Gower must rank as one of the best Southend signings ever.

Played against Gower once when he was at Spurs in the reserves....we couldn’t get near him....technically as good a player as I’ve seen close hand

Ron's sackings

Alvin Martin 26 March 1999
Alan Little 28 September 2000
Rob Newman 25 March 2003
Steve Wignall 03 November 2003
Steve Tilson 04 July 2010
Paul Sturrock 25 March 2013
Phil Brown 17 January 2018
Chris Powell 27 March 2019

Beware the end of March! We're playing Bolton at home 21st March and then Sunderland again at home 28th March.

So if Bond has been wrong in his team selections.

Well now you have actually seen SH play. Then who will be man enough to admit on here that not starting with Humphrys at Cov was the correct decision.....Not debatable 100% correct.

Whilst your all forensically analysing Bonds interview. Why don't you ask your self what Cox really means when he said it felt like last season. The look on on faces of one young family in the East said it all.......That's because on the shirt of one of them it said Daddy.

We had the worst home record in L1 last year with 2 games left at home. We got six points which is the only reason we can moan why any young player on full debut isn't good enough for L1 .......Two weeks running.

I don't do polls but I'll guess they haven't changed. The same people who didn't want Bond here in the first place won't want him after 2 games.

I was rather hoping after all the good that came from the Sunderland game. We the fans might realise we could make a difference if you actually are a supporter.....There's a clue in the name.

Sadly it would seem more people would rather be the first to slag Oxley than spot the clear foul in the first place. No wonder Humphrys went quiet after he gets a sneaky and sinister elbow in the face. They get away with it because they had quickly worked out at RH you can.

Even the clear red on Elvis ends up a 50/50 with the ref because the home fans had to be dragged to their feet to protest. Still on the plus side the targeting of Elvis by Blackpool fans makes a welcome change than when our own fans target him......I'm told at last there is an investigation under way about the Millwall game, including the police.

Not sure what you're trying to say here?

That you're not allowed to complain and moan? You're only a supporter if you cheer etc.

Back