• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrimpadmin

Following a build up of complaints over the last couple of months from Zone users, the owners of the board wish to publish a clear policy with regard to posting etiquette on ShrimperZone which focuses on the needs of the majority, and encourages input from the widest spectrum of users.

ShrimperZone has been (and hopefully always will be) a fan’s forum. Part of the board’s appeal is that it facilitates discussion about the mighty Shrimpers and just about every other subject under the sun - in a structured and easily accessible way. When you want to say something, it’s pretty clear where you go to say it – and if you want to find what other people think about something, then it’s pretty clear where you go to look for it. What we do not wish to see, however, is ShrimperZone become an internet chat room where people simply congregate to pass the time of day with their mates.

One fundamental rule of this site has always been to post according to the topic in question as designated by the thread title, and to keep the discussion around the main points of the thread. While certain threads may well go off-topic due to their nature (such as the “Live Chat” thread, and SZ Beer Club, End of Season Party and other "social" threads), it is important to ensure that this is the exception rather than the rule.

Up until recently, the board has been able to police itself on these matters but of late it has become a problem. Over a number of weeks, individuals on the board have raised concerns directly with the board’s owners and moderators, and this in turn has led us to take action in some cases.

To preserve the nature of the board, we need everyone posting to show the required levels of restraint and sensibility. Before posting, simply ask yourself:

“Am I adding something of value to this thread?"​

"Is it relevant to all users of the board rather than a select few?”​

Also consider whether it is really necessary to post on every thread, and after every reply just because a friend of yours has said something.

A short while ago, as something of a compromise, the board owners set-up the “Live Chat” thread to allow posters to chat about everything and anything, in an unstructured manner, and with no constraints on topic. While the “live chat” thread has proved popular, if the relaxed rules on that particular thread lead to a decline in standards on the rest of the board, then, at the owners’ discretion and without further warning, the thread will be permanently deleted.

To ensure that the board policy is maintained:
  • Where threads are taken off-topic, we will endeavour to post a reminder to keep the thread on-topic, although ANY Zoner can make the point to keep threads on track. We even have some lovely new icons for doing so.

:offtopic: :hijack:
  • Where reminders are ignored, posts will be deleted without further warning.
  • Where the same posters consistently take threads off-topic, no reminder will be given, and posts will be deleted without warning.
  • Where the same posters consistently fall foul of the rules, the mods will discuss banning them from the site in accordance with our existing banning procedure.
In short, diverting threads (and taking threads off-topic for banter with your mates) is not fun. From what more and more people are telling us, it spoils the Zone experience for the majority of users.

Thank you for your continuing support.

Hooray !

Also can we have life bans (and genetalia removed) for anyone who starts this punning rubbish. It really gets my goat !

i think the weathers pretty good ya know.

Hooray !

Also can we have life bans (and genetalia removed) for anyone who starts this punning rubbish. It really gets my goat !

Punning may annoy you, dodgy spelling sometimes does the same for me!
Also, remember at least 2 of the mods also like to partake in said punning.

Surely this whole thing is going a little bit over the top, we're all here for enjoyment (or at certain points to vent anger/frustration) after all?

I can understand it in the main SUFC board, but one of the whole principles of message boards is the debate & discussion that this encourages. For example take the Shannon Matthews thread, we've started off with a news story about latest developments in the story and this has now evolved in a technical discussion on how incriminating evidence can be discovered on PCs. A simple example but again shows how conversations develop. One of the joys of this board is seeing the directions threads go in, there have been some classics over the years.

As far as I'm concerned there seems to be other issues ongoing right now which need more attention rather than simple thread diversion!

Also people, why not adopt the if you don't like what's being posted in certain threads then don't read it/slate those who are participating? I got pretty bored, pretty quickly with the "Fun for a Sunday afternoon/Guess the SUFC player pic thread" so haven't bothered with it!

In now way is this a moan or a gripe at an admin post intended to warn people of the consequences, as I said above I just feel there might be other areas which need more urgent attention!

In now way is this a moan or a gripe at an admin post intended to warn people of the consequences, as I said above I just feel there might be other areas which need more urgent attention!

Such as Rich? PM us if you have an issue, we want to do all we can to make the site as good as it can be.

Hi mate,

Hopefully you don't mind me responding to some of those comments individually.

Surely this whole thing is going a little bit over the top, we're all here for enjoyment (or at certain points to vent anger/frustration) after all?

True that we're all here to enjoy ourselves, but since we've received a number of complaints and discussed people's concerns with a number of posters, we do not believe the rules to be over the top. Some posters we've discussed this with have advised that they now no longer go into the Pub section because of the way things are going, and that's absolutely the last thing we need to hear.

If you look at them, the rules aren't exactly draconian?

I can understand it in the main SUFC board, but one of the whole principles of message boards is the debate & discussion that this encourages. For example take the Shannon Matthews thread, we've started off with a news story about latest developments in the story and this has now evolved in a technical discussion on how incriminating evidence can be discovered on PCs. A simple example but again shows how conversations develop. One of the joys of this board is seeing the directions threads go in, there have been some classics over the years.

No one has any problems with that sort of stuff. The example you quote is a fine example of where a shift in focus can be interesting and worthwhile. The topic is also still broadly on track. There are plenty of other examples though where the topic-shift is unacceptable and amusing only to a small group of individuals.

As far as I'm concerned there seems to be other issues ongoing right now which need more attention rather than simple thread diversion!

There may well be, but Mods have lives (honest, it's true!). The post above was a collective post from the owners of SZ, but it's a unanimous view prompted by complaints received.

If there are other things going on, please PM either Cricko, Matt the Shrimp, Uxbridge Shrimper, McNasty or myself and we'd be glad to look into the issues.

Also people, why not adopt the if you don't like what's being posted in certain threads then don't read it/slate those who are participating? I got pretty bored, pretty quickly with the "Fun for a Sunday afternoon/Guess the SUFC player pic thread" so haven't bothered with it!

It's not about that here. At least the 'Guess the SUFC player pic thread' is still a thread about guessing sufc players, not a debate on the finer points of international submarine warfare.

Please see comments above, and PM any of us if there are particular issues of concern. I see James has made the same offer, but any of the Mods would be keen to hear any specifics.

GlasgowSUFC said:
It's not so much the punning, rather that it immediately goes away from the thread. And then when you click into said thread it's a tad annoying to find it diverted into a pun-fest. (Hurriedly checks his spelling before hitting enter) :)

Following a build up of complaints over the last couple of months from Zone users, the owners of the board wish to publish a clear policy with regard to posting etiquette on ShrimperZone which focuses on the needs of the majority, and encourages input from the widest spectrum of users.

ShrimperZone has been (and hopefully always will be) a fan’s forum. Part of the board’s appeal is that it facilitates discussion about the mighty Shrimpers and just about every other subject under the sun - in a structured and easily accessible way. When you want to say something, it’s pretty clear where you go to say it – and if you want to find what other people think about something, then it’s pretty clear where you go to look for it. What we do not wish to see, however, is ShrimperZone become an internet chat room where people simply congregate to pass the time of day with their mates.

One fundamental rule of this site has always been to post according to the topic in question as designated by the thread title, and to keep the discussion around the main points of the thread. While certain threads may well go off-topic due to their nature (such as the “Live Chat” thread, and SZ Beer Club, End of Season Party and other "social" threads), it is important to ensure that this is the exception rather than the rule.

Up until recently, the board has been able to police itself on these matters but of late it has become a problem. Over a number of weeks, individuals on the board have raised concerns directly with the board’s owners and moderators, and this in turn has led us to take action in some cases.

To preserve the nature of the board, we need everyone posting to show the required levels of restraint and sensibility. Before posting, simply ask yourself:

“Am I adding something of value to this thread?"​

"Is it relevant to all users of the board rather than a select few?”​

Also consider whether it is really necessary to post on every thread, and after every reply just because a friend of yours has said something.

A short while ago, as something of a compromise, the board owners set-up the “Live Chat” thread to allow posters to chat about everything and anything, in an unstructured manner, and with no constraints on topic. While the “live chat” thread has proved popular, if the relaxed rules on that particular thread lead to a decline in standards on the rest of the board, then, at the owners’ discretion and without further warning, the thread will be permanently deleted.

To ensure that the board policy is maintained:
  • Where threads are taken off-topic, we will endeavour to post a reminder to keep the thread on-topic, although ANY Zoner can make the point to keep threads on track. We even have some lovely new icons for doing so.

:offtopic: :hijack:
  • Where reminders are ignored, posts will be deleted without further warning.
  • Where the same posters consistently take threads off-topic, no reminder will be given, and posts will be deleted without warning.
  • Where the same posters consistently fall foul of the rules, the mods will discuss banning them from the site in accordance with our existing banning procedure.
In short, diverting threads (and taking threads off-topic for banter with your mates) is not fun. From what more and more people are telling us, it spoils the Zone experience for the majority of users.

Thank you for your continuing support.

As per your above request, If is se ANY example of banter between friends on a thread that is not directly relevant to the thread or any attempt of the thread being diverted then i will be sending all mods a complaint via PM every single time as i feel that would be my duty as a fellow Zoner, we can not expect you to be able to watch over every post can we!!!!

Can i also suggest that if ANY one else sees the slightest bit of banter between friend that is not relevant to the thread it is on then they also PM the mods and complain.

One other suggestion is that....if not already done, you should change Paul's Avatar name....not really the message you are trying to send now is it??

Ow deep joy and what fun this board has now become.

Onwards and upwards so they say

Rich.....

But that is were you are wrong mate......when you are in a REAL "PUB" you never ever stray of the subject do you!!!!

I mean if you did the landlord would ban you from the pub....right????

I'm actually with Aberdeen on this. If someone is being an **** - like me 95% of the time, then yeah - by all means sort things out, but lighthearted banter is all good in my eyes - as long as it's entertaining, although as drummed into me by everyone on here, that's subjective blah blah.

I just don't see where the entertainment is going to come from, is every thread is going to be 'anyone like gardening?', or 'PC problem...'

All this being said, I don't really care as my download of REO Speedwagons greatest hits has just been completed.

Not yet. But he speaks highly of you, Tone.

:finger:

Excuse me.....is this not exactly the off subject banter that you are saying should be avoided.....

Don’t tell me, it is ok it is a mod.....ow no sorry in your opinion it is ok....

Silly me, what was i thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back