• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Angell Delight

Life President
.....was fit enough to go straight back into the side on Friday (I know he isn't and won't but hypothetically speaking) I'd actually have still given us a slight glimmer of hope of gatecrashing the top 7. I think all the past 6 weeks has shown us is just how vital Bilel is to us (aswell as the fact that RM is unwilling to allow Sturrock to bring in loanees). Our record of points gained with Mohsni in the side to the amount achieved without him indicates that you could argue he is as vital to this team as Eastwood was to Tilson's.

With Mohsni in the X1 there is a far greater chance of a Southend goal winning the game instead of being enough for a point or nothing at all. Add to this the fact that he pretty much has everything - pace, aerial ability, strength and passion. Other players in the squad have already alluded to just how much of a boost it gives them to play alongside someone like Bilel and forwards must hate playing against a player like that. We've also missed him hugely in both penalty areas, this is the 1st season for a while now that I've felt confident of not conceding every time the opposition get a corner or dangerous set-piece from wide areas. This isn't the case without him, the 2 goals at Morecambe being prime examples. Add to this the fact he causes chaos at set-pieces of our own, and when we have a player like Ryan Hall who can deliver quality into the box regularly you begin to realise just how important Mohsni is to us in an attacking sense too.

I find it incredible that a player plucked from the Paris park leagues and who arrived not speaking a word of English can become so invaluable to a side like us in such a short space of time. Sturrock must take a large amount of credit for finding him through his scouting network. IMHO our season pretty much ended the day Harrold put Bilel out of action, if he'd remained fit I think we'd quite possibly be sitting in a play-off place right now.

Hereford and Stockport up next, my question would be this. IF we were to somehow take 6pts from our next two is it conceivable that Sturrock would think about throwing Bilel into the side for the last 8 games as a last throw of the dice? A potential back 4 of Clohessey/Mohsni/Coughlan/Barker looks as strong as any in the division - granted it would almost certainly still be too late with another 6 wins from 8 needed but we'd have nothing to lose at that point if the big man was fit......

Having said that I really don't see us picking up 2 wins from the next 2 anyway even against weak sides, we are conceding too many goals at the moment. Sturrock has done a superb job and I've seen enough to realise he's tactically astute but I do wish he'd stuck Morris back in a few weeks ago (note that I'm not blaming our problems on Rhys Evans I'm just stating a point that IMHO Morris is definitely a more solid goalkeeper).

Last edited:
No one man could possibly feel a greater weight of expectation on his shoulders if this were to be the case and I certainly don't think he should be rushed back. He's had trouble with that ankle on more than one occasion this season and personally I would much rather he were wrapped in cotton wool for now so we can start next season fresh and with some purpose. Coughlan and Barker are doing a perfectly adequate job at the back, it's midfield where the issues seem to be, and that's even with Sawyer back with all the expectations on his shoulders!

The goals have dried up a bit recently, I would like to see a stat which shows how many of our games have been settled by the odd goal!

I just hope we actually still have him next season. If we do I will be very happy indeed. As stated previously he is such an important player for the team not to mention he is great to watch.

.....was fit enough to go straight back into the side on Friday (I know he isn't and won't but hypothetically speaking) I'd actually have still given us a slight glimmer of hope of gatecrashing the top 7. I think all the past 6 weeks has shown us is just how vital Bilel is to us (aswell as the fact that RM is unwilling to allow Sturrock to bring in loanees). Our record of points gained with Mohsni in the side to the amount achieved without him indicates that you could argue he is as vital to this team as Eastwood was to Tilson's.

With Mohsni in the X1 there is a far greater chance of a Southend goal winning the game instead of being enough for a point or nothing at all. Add to this the fact that he pretty much has everything - pace, aerial ability, strength and passion. Other players in the squad have already alluded to just how much of a boost it gives them to play alongside someone like Bilel and forwards must hate playing against a player like that. We've also missed him hugely in both penalty areas, this is the 1st season for a while now that I've felt confident of not conceding every time the opposition get a corner or dangerous set-piece from wide areas. This isn't the case without him, the 2 goals at Morecambe being prime examples. Add to this the fact he causes chaos at set-pieces of our own, and when we have a player like Ryan Hall who can deliver quality into the box regularly you begin to realise just how important Mohsni is to us in an attacking sense too.

I find it incredible that a player plucked from the Paris park leagues and who arrived not speaking a word of English can become so invaluable to a side like us in such a short space of time. Sturrock must take a large amount of credit for finding him through his scouting network. IMHO our season pretty much ended the day Harrold put Bilel out of action, if he'd remained fit I think we'd quite possibly be sitting in a play-off place right now.

Hereford and Stockport up next, my question would be this. IF we were to somehow take 6pts from our next two is it conceivable that Sturrock would think about throwing Bilel into the side for the last 8 games as a last throw of the dice? A potential back 4 of Clohessey/Mohsni/Coughlan/Barker looks as strong as any in the division - granted it would almost certainly still be too late with another 6 wins from 8 needed but we'd have nothing to lose at that point if the big man was fit......

Having said that I really don't see us picking up 2 wins from the next 2 anyway even against weak sides, we are conceding too many goals at the moment. Sturrock has done a superb job and I've seen enough to realise he's tactically astute but I do wish he'd stuck Morris back in a few weeks ago (note that I'm not blaming our problems on Rhys Evans I'm just stating a point that IMHO Morris is definitely a more solid goalkeeper).

Just for the record, Harrold's challenge wasn't what caused the injury.

We need to get him back to near full fitness before putting him in the shop window for the summer. Does anyone seriously think he will be around next season. The 150k plus appearance/sell on fees will be badly needed for cash-flow.

We need to get him back to near full fitness before putting him in the shop window for the summer. Does anyone seriously think he will be around next season. The 150k plus appearance/sell on fees will be badly needed for cash-flow.

Agreed. But we were offered £250,000 in October/November. PS (note: PS) turned it down saying we would get more in the summer.

No one man could possibly feel a greater weight of expectation on his shoulders if this were to be the case and I certainly don't think he should be rushed back. He's had trouble with that ankle on more than one occasion this season and personally I would much rather he were wrapped in cotton wool for now so we can start next season fresh and with some purpose. Coughlan and Barker are doing a perfectly adequate job at the back, it's midfield where the issues seem to be, and that's even with Sawyer back with all the expectations on his shoulders!

I'm not saying they're not OK as a pairing at this level but we have no pace at centre-half and it's costing us! A fit Mohsni would allow Barker to go to left-back and to me that looks like a highly competent and complementary defence at this level. If the problems really were in midfield and not at the back then why are we conceding stupid goals when we've had (certainly for the past few games since Kane's return) a very similar midfield to the one when we were rock solid defensively before Mohsni's injury? To me the main problem lies at centre-half, we have no pace and we also miss the aerial ability and strength of Mohsni badly.

Anyone buying him, would be buying him on potential. He still needs seasoning so the most sensible course of action for all parties would be for us to sell him and loan him straight back. That way Mohsni gets a pay-rise; we get his wages paid, a transfer fee and the use of him for 6 months or maybe even a year; and the club who buys him gets a better player at the end of it. Everyone is then a winner.

We are poor at the Back and any addition that will add a bit more fight and pace to the team is a must , we are conceading too many goals and get cut open down the middle to easily and this needs to be worked on if we are to mount a serious push for Promotion , as someone stated in a previous thread we can't expect to score 3 goals nearly every game to win it ..............o and come from behind each time also !

We are poor at the Back and any addition that will add a bit more fight and pace to the team is a must , we are conceading too many goals and get cut open down the middle to easily and this needs to be worked on if we are to mount a serious push for Promotion , as someone stated in a previous thread we can't expect to score 3 goals nearly every game to win it ..............o and come from behind each time also !

Exactly, glad someone agrees with me.

Probably the best thing would be for Mohsni not to play again this season, that way other clubs would be cautious about buying a player that has been injured for a while and may not take the gamble on buying a player still to prove his fitness, that way he can stay with us.

I agree with most of this, but also think that our lack of goal scoring threat means that the opposition have no fear of pushing extra bodies forward. We also never have an outlet when defending set peices as we don't leave anybody in the centre of the pitch. This enables not only the opposition to send more players forward, but also they ball comes straight back for us to defend.

The reason I think we have been letting in so many goals, is because the only natural left midfeilder we have is actually playing on the right and both Grant and Sawyer tend to drift towards the middle, thus leaving our left back exposed.

I would play Mohsni up front when he comes back to put fear into the oppo's defense!

Back