• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question In game protests?

leeblue

Members⭐
While I fully support the current vocal and passionate demonstrations against Ron is there a case to maybe change tack and leave such protests for pre or post game especially with a new manager on the horizon. To be diplomatic it can't be overly helpful to have these going on during the game. With a new manager and a new direction and possibly a couple of new signings that aren't over thirty and way past it wouldn't it better, from a purely football point of view to unite behind said set up 100% during the game. I believe Stan said something similar this evening and IMO it's a valid point. Thoughts??.

I'm all for protests against our beloved chairman...but think these should be before or after the game or at half time...and certainly not on the pitch. That just creates more fines or possible deduction of points which we can ill afford.

Given there will be a new manager in place, and Ron has finally got a planning committee date, the time is right for a cooling off period in my view.

The point has been well and truly made, there have been lots of headlines and in my view something like this did have to happen to make the point.

However, it's now time to put the Ron stuff to one side. We have a massive part to play in lifting those players and this club, get behind the new manager and try and get this club united again. An agreement on the stadium will do more to hasten Ron's exit than fan protests ever will.

I truly believe a truce should be declared over a short time span as set out by Stan, to give us, the fans the time and space to consider what has been achieved and the management and players time to re-group under a new footballing team structure, start the season over, with time to improve and we all move forward together.

I truly believe a truce should be declared over a short time span as set out by Stan, to give the us fans the time and space to consider what has been achieved and the management and players time to re-group under a new footballing team structure, start the season over, with time to improve and we all move forward together.
It should, and it should be made publicly by supporters groups to show a united front.

Martin has stated he’s not going anywhere, however Brown has gone & Collymore now appears to be on board.

I believe the time is right for a pause in hostilities, let’s see if you can teach an old dog new tricks & whether Ron is willing or able to adapt by throwing his lot in with Stan to give the club half a chance.

Last edited:
That's where the problem is. Collymore has been bought in to appease the fans, I'm not quite sure who's playing who right now between them both.

Exactly this.

I'm not doubting Stans intentions or contacts etc but Ron is a master manipulator and is excellent at deflecting blame and using smoke and mirrors.

Brown fired and collymore in to help. It all deflects from him and the anger directed his way.

He is so good at that type of play. I'm not sure he would have accepted help had he not been under so much pressure.

I don't think Ron asked Stan to come in. Stan it would appear offered his services and advice initially for free. Ron would be foolish this time to ignore Stan or play him for a fool.

For the first time ever, I left the game early Saturday, quite simply I could not in any way agree with a pitch invasion during the game. I felt by staying that I would be agreeing with the action taken.

Surely, the Club if it wished could take action against the invaders. Would imagine they could be easily identifed from CCTV.

There are many ways of protesting, but a pitch invasion should NOT be one of them.

Exactly this.

I'm not doubting Stans intentions or contacts etc but Ron is a master manipulator and is excellent at deflecting blame and using smoke and mirrors.

Brown fired and collymore in to help. It all deflects from him and the anger directed his way.

He is so good at that type of play. I'm not sure he would have accepted help had he not been under so much pressure.
People moan Ron makes the same mistakes each time but when he changes the way he does something people still twist it against him. Give him this chance and see if he can finally let others help. I think the last few months he has changed a bit. Recruitment done early which fans wanted, brown out which fans wanted, bought a number of players who had league experience which fans wanted.
Let’s see how it goes with Stan for a while and see if things improve.

People moan Ron makes the same mistakes each time but when he changes the way he does something people still twist it against him. Give him this chance and see if he can finally let others help. I think the last few months he has changed a bit. Recruitment done early which fans wanted, brown out which fans wanted, bought a number of players who had league experience which fans wanted.
Let’s think of ways we can measure progress with Ron

eg
National League/PFA to confirm at Ron’s request that we’re up to date with wages/HMRC by Saturday
Appoint a manager within 2 weeks
Manager to have full staff (or first team coach, analyst) within 3 weeks
Sesoncard holders get their commemorative t-shirt with 4 weeks
Etc etc

If Ron doesnt meet a target the protests resume. We then keep holding his feet to the fire to drive through the change this club needs, to change the way he operates and the culture at the very top of this club by introducing a very real amount of accountability.

Before people complain about the targets the actual targets are probably less important than establishing the idea of accountability and making him answer to what is happening (and too often not happening) at the club.

Let’s think of ways we can measure progress with Ron

eg
National League/PFA to confirm at Ron’s request that we’re up to date with wages/HMRC by Saturday
Appoint a manager within 2 weeks
Manager to have full staff (or first team coach, analyst) within 3 weeks
Sesoncard holders get their commemorative t-shirt with 4 weeks
Etc etc

If Ron doesnt meet a target the protests resume. We then keep holding his feet to the fire to drive through the change this club needs, to change the way he operates and the culture at the very top of this club by introducing a very real amount of accountability.
Agree with top 3 but the 4th one is really not a priority and we need to deal with the biggest issues first.

If the top 3 are done though I would be happy enough to see how things continue to go but the protests need to stop for now to allow change to have a chance to happen. I think Ron is realising that he needs to change too and letting Stan be part of the managerial appointment is a huge change for him to start with.

Whether you agree or disagree with the protests, I do believe they have had a decent influence on matters off the pitch.

Back end of last season the protests started (albeit pretty tame compared to the last week) but that resulted in a CEO being appointed and transfer business started early. Then somewhat of a lull in the off season.

Fast forward to the last week, protests turn up a huge notch, we’ve seen the management sacked, possibly more to follow. Southend Council have now given a firm date for final approval on FF. They are also feeling the heat as seen by the quotes from Cllr Ms Mulroney:

"People are disgruntled about how the club is doing at the moment but I would hope that doesn't cause problems.

"The process has to go through committee and we can't defer it because we have a crowd of angry people."

Add in what would appear greater and legitimate involvement from Stan at the club. Are things starting to turn? Has the penny dropped with Ron? We shall see…

But in my mind I have no doubt the scenes of last week and the back end of last season, whether you agree with them or not, have certainly given all parties involved a big kick up the arse. We’d all rather see pitch invasions under more happy circumstances. But I think those involved have certainly assisted in turning the screw. Perhaps this just had to happen? To that end I am pleased with what has followed thus far and I hope we start to see proper positive progression now on and off the pitch. If not, then the club cannot be surprised at what will inevitably follow. The warning signs have been made loud and clear.

Last edited:
Whether you agree or disagree with the protests, I do believe they have had a decent influence on matters off the pitch.

Back end of last season the protests started (albeit pretty tame compared to the last week) but that resulted in a CEO being appointed and transfer business started early. Then somewhat of a lull in the off season.

Fast forward to the last week, protests turn up a huge notch, we’ve seen the management sacked, possibly more to follow. Southend Council have now given a firm date for final approval on FF. They are also feeling the heat as seen by the quotes from Cllr Ms Mulroney:

"People are disgruntled about how the club is doing at the moment but I would hope that doesn't cause problems.

"The process has to go through committee and we can't defer it because we have a crowd of angry people."

Add in what would appear greater and legitimate involvement from Stan at the club. Are things starting to turn? Has the penny dropped with Ron? We shall see…

But in my mind I have no doubt the scenes of last week and the back end of last season, whether you agree with them or not, have certainly given all parties involved a big kick up the arse. We’d all rather see pitch invasions under more happy circumstances. But I think those involved have certainly assisted in turning the screw. Perhaps this just had to happen? To that end I am pleased with what has followed thus far and I hope we start to see proper positive progression now on and off the pitch. If not, then the club cannot be surprised at what will inevitably follow. The warning signs have been made loud and clear.
I agree, the protests got attention in local and national media. It does seem rather coincidental that all of a sudden the council want a meeting regarding FF, when in previous zoom calls Ron confirmed there were no firm dates. I agree the supporters should not be on the pitch, but doesn't a truce make it look like the problems have all gone away. Ron's last zoom call was embarrassing how he evaded questions and tried to justify the stadium etc. I appreciate Stan's passion and drive to help, but although he says the club is toxic he still seems to be backing Ron..which I find bizarre.

But there is one other thing the fans wanted...the main problem...and he is still there ?

Do you mean any protests? I haven't watched the Zoom thing.

Back