• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In light of the recent crashes along Manners Way.....

Is it time for Speed Cameras down Manners Way

• Total voters

WestRoadShrimper

Teachers Pet
We all hate speed cameras put up for unnecessary reasons, but given there's been two rather nasty crashes down Manners Way recently (bearing in mind one was a fatality), is it time one or two were put up along there?

Option for 'Other' for things like traffic calming, flashing slow downs, etc...

Btw, I think 'other' as I reckon the flashing speed signs saying 'Slow Down' or the real fancy ones that display your speed have a greater impact on slowing drivers down.

There is already a flashing "30mph Slow Down" light really near the crash site in Manners Way. I hate speed cameras with a vengeance since 2001 when I was done by an un-marked van on the day of our FA Cup victory over Canvey down Daws Heath Road Thundersley.
Cameras outside schools , hospitals and proven accident back-spots are fine by me , but used as money gatherers on dual-carriage ways where it is easy to go a few mph over the limit are not good.

There is already a flashing "30mph Slow Down" light really near the crash site in Manners Way. I hate speed cameras with a vengeance since 2001 when I was done by an un-marked van on the day of our FA Cup victory over Canvey down Daws Heath Road Thundersley.
Cameras outside schools , hospitals and proven accident back-spots are fine by me , but used as money gatherers on dual-carriage ways where it is easy to go a few mph over the limit are not good.

Totally agree with your comments here mcnasty, manners way is by no means a dangerous road in any shape or form, oh and yes i have used the road for the last 15 years as a driver (for you lot who will doubt my judgement).

Its all to easy to slap a speed camera up where the unfortunate accidents were, and then within 3 months when everyone knows where they are, they just slow down a few hundred yards from it.

Make it 20mph outside schools and hospitals but please no more brainless cash i mean speed cameras.

So picture the hypothetical scene, drunk man walks home from pub crosses road without looking and gets hit and dies.

2 school kids are walking along with mp3's blaring out doing what youths do again they cross the road without taking much care as children aren't even taught green cross code at school anymore, again they die.

Now without seeming to be the most heartless person around which im not, dont you think car drivers are occassionally blamed for things out of their control?

Im not for speed cameras at all but i would love to see more traffic police and police on motorbikes doing patrols.

Manners way is not a dangerous road and people who use the road every day like myself will agree. If you have speed cameras down every street and 20mph spped limits and sleeping policemen and still people die on the roads what would be your next safety tip? im intrigued to know.

Oh no, I agree with everything you say there. I don't drive it regulary, but it's the way I go when I need the retail park.

It's just police/councils don't take into account what caused the accidents when identifying blackspots, they just count how many there've been. By that reasoning it becomes a blackspot, although I would agree with you that it shouldn't be - that's why I'd say use other things like the flashing signs (which apparently there is already).

All for traffic calming down there. Its a strange road as it is very wide and there are loads of parked cars there at certain times of day making it very difficult to see properly especially for cars pulling out of side roads.

Anything that can be put there to save lives is fine so long as its not just another opportunity to use a tragic loss of life as an excuse for increasing speed camera generated funds.

Plus two accidents (fatal or otherwise) does not mean there will be a speed camera appearing soon.....here is something from the bbc website:

"The most dangerous road was reckoned to be the A889 near Dalwhinnie in Perth and Kinross.
This 8.4 mile stretch of road had an accident rate of 875 fatal and serious accidents per 1bn vehicle kilometres between 1997 and 1999 - but has no speed cameras."

Sensible solutions which saves lives is the answer....not something which just generates cash or causes people to brake sharpely for 50 yards and then speed up again. Too busy are they watching for the speed camera flash they miss the young mother with her baby in a pram crossing the road or the car pulling out from a side road......then all we have is another statistic....and a very tragic loss.

Totally agree.

On the topic of speed cameras my future sister-in-law in Australia was done for speeding recently and because it was the school holidays the points on her license were doubled. It's something they do on all speeding offences during the holidays as with more kids about crossing roads etc they have more accidents then. Wonder if that would ever be considered over here?

Back