• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
We are so lucky nowadays. When I were a wee lad (You could buy a car for a pound, and still have change for some shiny shoes), You had to travel in some dodgy looking coach that would often get attacked (Once had a brick smash through the window just glancing my bonce) at the away ground or Trains that seemed to break down a lot. If they expected a lot of you they would role out the football special. These were old stock that they didn't mind so much getting trashed and smashed, as happened all the time in those wild days. Toilets at grounds were normally disgusting, some with no womens toilets. Half the adults seemed to smoke during games, especially the West Stand, some with nice or awful smelling pipe and tobacco that wafted across your face making you cough or giving you sore eyes. If you were unlucky like a mate of mine, a much bigger lad behind would p*ss in your pocket in a packed out North Bank, rather than try and squeeze through to the bog. We have much better coverage about games, players and our club from the local paper. We have the official site, and others on the internet, along with the great SUFC Database. We have this fantastic Shrimperzone site, where we can all share our views and vent our feelings. We can actually listen live for free on BBC Essex to any Southend game we can't make.
Having lived through a few decades, I for one, know how lucky I am to be able to listen to the match this afternoon and I really appreciate how much better things are today with all the things I mentioned.

But hey, I really miss those days. Despite all it's faults, it was very exciting, sometimes frightening but great fun and great comradery. Bunking in. The surge of a packed out North Bank. The songs, a massive knees up mother brown, the rivalry. Oh if only.

We are so lucky nowadays. When I were a wee lad (You could buy a car for a pound, and still have change for some shiny shoes), You had to travel in some dodgy looking coach that would often get attacked (Once had a brick smash through the window just glancing my bonce) at the away ground or Trains that seemed to break down a lot. If they expected a lot of you they would role out the football special. These were old stock that they didn't mind so much getting trashed and smashed, as happened all the time in those wild days. Toilets at grounds were normally disgusting, some with no womens toilets. Half the adults seemed to smoke during games, especially the West Stand, some with nice or awful smelling pipe and tobacco that wafted across your face making you cough or giving you sore eyes. If you were unlucky like a mate of mine, a much bigger lad behind would p*ss in your pocket in a packed out North Bank, rather than try and squeeze through to the bog. We have much better coverage about games, players and our club from the local paper. We have the official site, and others on the internet, along with the great SUFC Database. We have this fantastic Shrimperzone site, where we can all share our views and vent our feelings. We can actually listen live for free on BBC Essex to any Southend game we can't make.
Having lived through a few decades, I for one, know how lucky I am to be able to listen to the match this afternoon and I really appreciate how much better things are today with all the things I mentioned.

But hey, I really miss those days. Despite all it's faults, it was very exciting, sometimes frightening but great fun and great comradery.

Great days, great days! It was then we thought a foreign player was someone from Scotland or at a push Wales. We still had plenty of journeyman footballers but they always seemed to ply their trade honestly. Might be my imagination but the players were Ronseal, they always did what it said on the tin. I think even the supporters were more united and definitely more vocal. Games always seemed to have atmosphere unlike many of the non-events of today. Ah, the good old days indeed!

But hey, I really miss those days. Despite all it's faults, it was very exciting, sometimes frightening but great fun and great comradery. Bunking in. The surge of a packed out North Bank. The songs, a massive knees up mother brown, the rivalry. Oh if only.

Aye lad ... and Mars Bars were as big as loaves ... you try telling the kids of today that, they won't believe ya. But seriously, TSNB, I'm reminded of that little bit of tension that used to accompany some of the away travel - it does feel quite sanitised now though I'm still wary of wearing colours when travelling solo as I can't quite get out of the old habits.

Me too........Particularly the buzz from the tension at away games when you just knew it was about to kick off or finding yourself in the wrong area............Really miss the hostile atmospheres. Far to hygenic nowadays.

Aye lad ... and Mars Bars were as big as loaves ... you try telling the kids of today that, they won't believe ya. But seriously, TSNB, I'm reminded of that little bit of tension that used to accompany some of the away travel - it does feel quite sanitised now though I'm still wary of wearing colours when travelling solo as I can't quite get out of the old habits.
Mars Bars? I remember Curly Wurlies being at least a foot long, and Wagon Wheels? Don't get me started! I could hold my bladder back then, thankfully now, facilities are (mostly) a lot better.

Southend utd v Aston Villa fa cup

Southend utd were top of division 4 and Aston Villa top of division 3 when the Aston Villa came on the pitch at the south end went towards Southend then all the Southend came on at the north bank and ran them back.You dont see things like that anymore.:omg:

The good old days?

I was only old enough to start going in our first season in the old division two and the memories from the and the following seasons (Deano's penalty against Charlton, fighting against leicester, sit-down protests during the Murphy era, an electric midweek atmosphere against West Ham, and our consolidation in the league on the last day against Luton) will stay with me forever. People talk about progress, but for me that really was football. Got a sniff of it when I was back for the match against Crawley on the North Bank.
I know in many ways it defies logic (we know it's all about the money nowadays) but I'm hoping we hold out at the old place for as long as possible. Roots Hall hasn't been the same since the old away stand in ´94, however, I don't think we'd come close in a ne, shiny, (in our case three-sided) identikit stadium. Just ask Bolton, Sunderland, Southampton, Millwall and the fans of just about any other club that has moved grounds over the years.

Mars Bars? I remember Curly Wurlies being at least a foot long, and Wagon Wheels? Don't get me started! I could hold my bladder back then, thankfully now, facilities are (mostly) a lot better.

Marie Osmond - now on tour with 'Wet Wet Wet.' :winking:

I rmember wagon wheels being so large, that i once used them as a spare wheel on my car, when i got a punture, that was all we had back then... honest

Me too........Particularly the buzz from the tension at away games when you just knew it was about to kick off or finding yourself in the wrong area............Really miss the hostile atmospheres. Far to hygenic nowadays.

The buzz and the tension was also at most of the bigger League and Cup games at home. Plus all the things that happened on the pitch, terraces or in the streets before and after. Aston Villa, Chelsea, Cardiff and QPR in the Cup and Millwall, Palace and Lincoln in the League I remember the most from my youth.

Bradford Park Avenue, Workington Town; Accrington Stanley the first time around.
Keith Weller playing in tights (or was that just my furtile young imagination).
One thing that hasn't changed is the condition of our pitch: it was a lush carpet even back in the seventies, or was that just at my height I was looking through the baize instead of across and over it.

I remember running battles going on at Layer Road and the coaches having bricks through the windows on the way out. Also remember being on open terrace at Exeter in the early 90's having to contend with lumps of brick being chucked onto the terrace from the street behind. Also Old Den and the warren of subways around it were hazardous to say the least. At home there were big rucks on the old South Bank with Watford and a few scuffles on the pitch. Derby County I think was the last I saw when they forced a gate open breaking the stewards ankle before attacking North Bank. Always remember Ginger Lee wading in!

Got to say that it was all an adrenaline rush when I was younger, but now in my mid 40's I am quite happy to know that I am unlikely to be chased or threatened when following the mighty blues!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by OldBlueLady

There must be an answer to that.......:unsure:

That was when we only had home grown players, now we've got Brazilians.

Ahhh the good old days!
Definately tension at away games and definately much more noise at games.
So many stories but a few of the games mentioned in previous posts...and many more!!!!

Moments in time!!

Southend utd were top of division 4 and Aston Villa top of division 3 when the Aston Villa came on the pitch at the south end went towards Southend then all the Southend came on at the north bank and ran them back.You dont see things like that anymore.:omg:

The good old days?

Am I thinking of something different when I think of Derby??

I remember running battles going on at Layer Road and the coaches having bricks through the windows on the way out. Also remember being on open terrace at Exeter in the early 90's having to contend with lumps of brick being chucked onto the terrace from the street behind. Also Old Den and the warren of subways around it were hazardous to say the least. At home there were big rucks on the old South Bank with Watford and a few scuffles on the pitch. Derby County I think was the last I saw when they forced a gate open breaking the stewards ankle before attacking North Bank. Always remember Ginger Lee wading in!Got to say that it was all an adrenaline rush when I was younger, but now in my mid 40's I am quite happy to know that I am unlikely to be chased or threatened when following the mighty blues!

Yes! :clap:

Ginger Lee - A well known name! Is he still around - last I heard was him and his son were getting chucked out of Oxford's ground for giving one of our own a slap!

Am I thinking of something different when I think of Derby??

The two big FA Cup games were away at Derby. Massive following, great atmosphere's and Southend United certainly turned up in force!!

Villa was at Roots Hall in the early 70's. 1971 I believe. Billy Best scored to give us a momentus 1-0 win!!

Back