• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue79

Banned
Another good result to put us further on our way.

Another two goals from Kane.

I know most on here would believe no-one will go in january.

But in your opinion do you there will be offers made then?

I don't see how we can avoid not receiving them the way we are progressing all of the time.

And if we have decent offers come in which are deemed acceptable it'll be interesting to see what our Board decide.

Sometimes the truth hurts. especially to those who view from too strong rose tinted glasses.

I believe Hall, Ferdinand especially are championship material or will prove to be soon and I believe both would progress personally even further on a bigger stage such as that with experience big-stage coaches guiding them. not to mention the hike in wages they'll get i=which Blues would not be able to match. Yes I'm sure they enjoy playing for Southend but there will be an element in them playing well to put them in the shop window in order to better themselves on that bigger stage.

I'll be staggered if no-one comes in for them after christmas and if they come knocking then , although I'll be criticized, then thats life.

As I say above I've been preparing forvthat moment as I feel its a reasonable assumption to make but for the rosetinted few it'll be harder to take should one or two go . some fans of all clubs our size need to find room for a little more realism.

This aside A lot has been mentioned about us recently on football rumours. Before Teesside accuses me No I don't believe much of whats been said on there and no I've not put any input into it.

Worth a read all the same.

Back to today well done again to Paul Sturrock and the team.

Problem is that fewteams under CCC level have any money. How many of our decent players would jump to Championship level ?

Hall owes the club a big debt sticking by him and doubt will move in January.

Most of the team will see that the club could be in League One again next year and unless they get very good offers will not move, and I doubt we will be looking to sell any of our performing players which could end up in us not being promoted.

As I mentioned on another thread I'm sure there'll have been West Ham scouts at the game again today with it being just down the road from them, Ferdinand may have just added another £50,000 to his fee.

I'd be sad to see him go for sure, but if we can get £500,000 + 25% sell on then we'd be mad to turn it down (and we wouldn't turn it down I'm sure). Hall on the other hand, I'd sell for nothing less than £1,000,000 + 25%, he's worth way too much to us right now.

It was stated on BBC ESSEX that will southend be able to keep hold of Timlin after january .Paul clarke stated that it wasnt that Timlin wouldnt jump at a move to southend its more his wage demands will be far to high for our wage cap .So we really cant afford to let Ferdinand move before the summer because we will lose our midfield core if both go .I cant see Paul Sturrock being happy if that happens . As for Ryan Hall i beleve he is commited to getting southend up .

The way I see it is that either we sell Ferdinand and use the money to keep Timlin and a decent amount put in the kitty, or if we keep hold of Ferdinand we lose Timlin.

In other words whose loss would be greater Timlins or Ferdinands? I had thought up till recently I would prefer to keep Timlin but Ferdinands goals are swinging me his way at the moment. Glad its not my call to make.

Who knows, both could leave and luggy may bring in two even better players. Hall going doesnt bare thinking about.:sad:

I think they'll all stay this year and try to claim a league 2 winners medal. It's not often a lower league player can achieve honors. They'll know that if they go to a Championship side then they'll spend a lot of time on the bench when they could be fighting for a title. When the season ends is when they'll move. It won't matter then because if we go up Luggy is astute enough to find good replacements.

I think the key to keeping Timlin is getting rid of fringe players like Crawford & Blair, as well as perhaps Coughlan becoming a coach & then losing his wage too from the calculation.

id let kane go if it meant getting timlin in, grant and timlin with sawyer waiting in the wings would be ok, losing hall however would be seriously bad, imo he is the best player in this division probably irreplaceable for a club like us.

We didnt lose anyone in 04/05. Did chesterfield lose any players last january when they were well ahead? No, its easy to say money walks but as long we are top and looking good for promotion then I dont see any players leaving. People saying they would sell Kane to get Timlin, sorry dont see that. 6 goals already for the lad and he is still only 19. Timlin is a very good player but lets not get silly with money and contracts. Lets not forget we have Lee Sawyer and JJ also on the bench, two good players who may yet have a big part to play in this season.

We didnt lose anyone in 04/05. Did chesterfield lose any players last january when they were well ahead? No, its easy to say money walks but as long we are top and looking good for promotion then I dont see any players leaving. People saying they would sell Kane to get Timlin, sorry dont see that. 6 goals already for the lad and he is still only 19. Timlin is a very good player but lets not get silly with money and contracts. Lets not forget we have Lee Sawyer and JJ also on the bench, two good players who may yet have a big part to play in this season.

I agree. These guys are getting to play virtually every week in the team and know that, if we get promoted, they will still probably be first choice. Why move to a championship team and warm the bench? As long as we are progressing we have a good chance of hanging on to these players. Even if we don't, we have decent strength in depth in midfield at the moment. Poor Sawyer must be wondering when he is going to get a chance, after being one of the major reasons why Wycombe got promoted from this league a few seasons back. We won without Leonard or Grant, both of whom are among the better midfielders in this division. Nil desperandum!

Another good result to put us further on our way.

Another two goals from Kane.

I know most on here would believe no-one will go in january.

But in your opinion do you there will be offers made then?

I don't see how we can avoid not receiving them the way we are progressing all of the time.

And if we have decent offers come in which are deemed acceptable it'll be interesting to see what our Board decide.

Sometimes the truth hurts. especially to those who view from too strong rose tinted glasses.

I believe Hall, Ferdinand especially are championship material or will prove to be soon and I believe both would progress personally even further on a bigger stage such as that with experience big-stage coaches guiding them. not to mention the hike in wages they'll get i=which Blues would not be able to match. Yes I'm sure they enjoy playing for Southend but there will be an element in them playing well to put them in the shop window in order to better themselves on that bigger stage.

I'll be staggered if no-one comes in for them after christmas and if they come knocking then , although I'll be criticized, then thats life.

As I say above I've been preparing forvthat moment as I feel its a reasonable assumption to make but for the rosetinted few it'll be harder to take should one or two go . some fans of all clubs our size need to find room for a little more realism.

This aside A lot has been mentioned about us recently on football rumours. Before Teesside accuses me No I don't believe much of whats been said on there and no I've not put any input into it.

Worth a read all the same.

Back to today well done again to Paul Sturrock and the team.

I'm not gonna worry about it - there's nothing I can do to influence player movements either way so I'll just enjoy our success while it lasts.

But Chesterfield have their new stadium & Wrong Martin is looking to pinch every penny he can to go to the FF fund. I wonder who then benefits from FF most!

Hall has a great delivery. But he has neither the pace nor physicality to compete in the CCC. He'll be great in L1, and the worry is a team at that level making a punt on him, because he offers a lot

At the end of the day our best players will probably move onwards and upwards with or without us. I'm confident that Luggy has the skills and contacts to make sure we have a great, competitive squad whoever leaves.

Southend losing their best players? It's part of life for clubs of our size and resources.

I agree with jamesmut and the view about why would players leave if they are only going to warm the bench. I understand that.

But the Club may still need a bit of extra money coming in. I suspect we're still perilous in that respect. maybe not as bad but still room for a little extra income.

But Jamesmut's view is spot on.

I agree with all the sentiments in this thread, on the surface it seems crazy for a player to leave just to warm the bench in a championship side, but the reality is, i love my job but if someone offered me 5-6 times the salary i'd be mad not to consider it. Hall and ferdinand are very young, and there ambitions will stretch far beyond league 2 & league one.

That said, I agree that they'd be fools to leave now. There's possible promotion.

I firmly beleive that Hall and Ferdinand will move to other clubs with bigger finances, to us 500k is a big deal, to some clubs, a worthwhile punt on young talent that wont dent their finances. As others have said, lets enjoy the moment, keep our fingers crossed that they finish what they have begun here, and come the close season let the chips fall as they may. One thing i'm confident about is that PS will be able to bring in replacements. As much as i was and always will be a Tilly fan, how refreshing is it to not be existing on the strength (or weakness) of loan players!!

I think the only reason any of the youngster would leave is if agents convince them to chase the big money.
I am always surprised that players jump ship at the first sign of more money but no guarantee of regular football.
Lee Barnard is one example of many who leave us. They keep the bench warm and play a bit part rather than staying at a club and becoming legends.
Money is the motivation and who can blame them.

I think the only reason any of the youngster would leave is if agents convince them to chase the big money.
I am always surprised that players jump ship at the first sign of more money but no guarantee of regular football.
Lee Barnard is one example of many who leave us. They keep the bench warm and play a bit part rather than staying at a club and becoming legends.
Money is the motivation and who can blame them.
Mildenhall was another, although I don't and never have, blamed any of the players from that season for choosing to leave. I think people thinking Hall owed us something for the club having stood by him and therefore wanting to stay, are sadly over-estimating how players in general feel. He'll go where he can make the most money, there's not a massive number of players that feel loyalty bound to clubs.

Let's be honest both players are currently playing week in week out. As things stand and I appreciate it's not a given both are on for potential winners medals.

Can't see they would want to go in January rather than wait till the summer. Both could move in the summer if they were desperate to move. And start at a new club in the summer with a full ore season with there new teams.

Luggy won't want to sell by any means and I hope we don't need the money. Can't see them moving on personally until the summer but even then unlikely for Hall.

Back