• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question In your honest opinion question 1 of 2

In your honest opinion Will Southend United fold in the next 12 months?

• Total voters
My problem is, I won't get too carried away. While Sainsbury's coming onboard does appear to be a life saver, i'm pointing out, it does have the potential to go pear-shaped, especially considering Sainsbury's main objective, i.e. they want us off of Roots Hall asap.

I'm not getting carried away either really, I'm just putting up a realistic outcome. It is possible that it could go pear shaped but also, it's pretty pear shaped at the moment. I think we can all agree that it doesn't actually look like Ron is trying to save us much at the moment. The thing that I see now is we will either have a new 22,000 seater stadium with success, or we will not be Southend United. I personally cannot see the second one becoming reality, because of Sainsburys heavy involvement, thats just my opinion though.

Also the easiest way for Sainsburys to be on site at Roots Hall is that we have a new football ground.

My problem is, I won't get too carried away. While Sainsbury's coming onboard does appear to be a life saver, i'm pointing out, it does have the potential to go pear-shaped, especially considering Sainsbury's main objective, i.e. they want us off of Roots Hall asap.

No one is disputing that. But a company the size of Sainsburys, competing in a fierce marketplace, has to be acutely aware of it's public perception. They won't want to be perceived as being the cause of our failure, which they will be (rightly or wrongly) portrayed if they pull the plug and then immediately bulldoze Roots Hall.

There's definitely a real danger of them having enough, particularly if they start getting grief for their involvement. Then once it's all calmed down they can come in and build their store, however the best outcome for them is for them to ease us into Fossetts Farm and have an amiable handover at Roots Hall.

I know I'm normally a cynical bugger, but I predict good news in the next few weeks, as well as a rebuttal to the Echo piece. Just a feeling.

Hmm, me thinks your slogan under your name suggests something ;-)

Folding the club might be the best option at least we can start again without Ron Martin. If he stays the club will have a slow lingering death.

I can't believe it's come to this. I know we've been living a charmed life now for a while but to think the end could be just around the corner really is a terrible thought. I'm past blaming people, if it wasn't Martin then it would be someone else, I just want my football club back.

Back