• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Income Tax and Politics

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
During the election fever to date, not one of the major parties has made any mention about raising the basic rate of income tax for the next parliament. Paying tax is never popular no matter how much you earn, or don't earn. Even less so when an election beckons......................but in one of my reflective moments I did ask myself........

'If the current national deficit could be eradicated during the next five year parliament by raising income tax by, say, 3p in the pound coupled with a promise of no further cuts in public services'

Would I find that attractive??? I might just say 'yeah' I think.

What about you?

I would consider it, BUT ensuring that those who already earn bucketloads can't wiggle out of their own tax responsibilities with some creative accounting. Ordinary working people don't have that luxury and a lot would struggle with even that relatively small hike.

Each and every government will waste OUR money on their pet projects.If we were awash with spare cash those in power will spend it.

Friday evening I discovered an Essex council spend 1.9 million on taxi cabs taking children to and from school !,considering the term is based over 40 weeks that's nearly 50k a week !,Still its not there money to burn !

I would consider it, BUT ensuring that those who already earn bucketloads can't wiggle out of their own tax responsibilities with some creative accounting. Ordinary working people don't have that luxury and a lot would struggle with even that relatively small hike.

So you'd only *consider* your small percentage of a small amount being raised, but you're happy for those who already pay a much larger percentage of a larger amount paying more? Why don't you just **** off to Russia. Milton Keynes is even too good for you. Commie.

Each and every government will waste OUR money on their pet projects.If we were awash with spare cash those in power will spend it.

Friday evening I discovered an Essex council spend 1.9 million on taxi cabs taking children to and from school !,considering the term is based over 40 weeks that's nearly 50k a week !,Still its not there money to burn !

That's as maybe, but would you consider forking out more cash for tax if you were guaranteed that the deficit would be cut and public services wouldn't?

So you'd only *consider* your small percentage of a small amount being raised, but you're happy for those who already pay a much larger percentage of a larger amount paying more? Why don't you just **** off to Russia. Milton Keynes is even too good for you. Commie.

Trickle down economics doesn't work.

No I want them to pay their fair due.

Typical right wing Tory, resorting to baseless insults and name calling - much like the desperate Tory party themselves.

That's as maybe, but would you consider forking out more cash for tax if you were guaranteed that the deficit would be cut and public services wouldn't?

No is the simple answer.

We pay enough tax already.

Those in power always cut "public services" so nothing new there !,the deficit was created by public schoolboy idiots who have never ever lived in the real world,let them pay it.

No is the simple answer.

We pay enough tax already.

Those in power always cut "public services" so nothing new there !,the deficit was created by public schoolboy idiots who have never ever lived in the real world,let them pay it.

But that is the point, those responsible will never be made to square the books, we are, and will have to pay, indirectly through cuts in public services.

Those children are the most vulnerable in society and it is the councils responsibility to ensure their education, this means getting them to and from their schools, usually those that cater for special needs. The government has cut the ability for councils to provide their own modes of transport. If you want public services then pay more tax.

Income Tax receipts for 15-16 forecast £170.5b
Budget deficit 15-16 forecast £75b

Taking into account tax-free allowances my guess you would need to add 10p to income tax to clear deficit.

Some other facts on public spending:
Last Labour budget 2010 - forecast total expenditure 09-10 £674.1b
Last Coalition budget 2015 - forecast total expenditure 15-16 £742.6b

Despite all the hot air on one side anout the 'cuts' and the other about 'deficit reduction', public spending has only gone one way in the last 5 years and that is upwards.

Ironically, I suspect what George Osborne has actually done is more or less what Alistair Darling proposed to do.

There is so much outside of the control of the UK government that makes all the promises currently being made a wish-list at best and worst - continuing to pull the same confidence trick on a British public who are quite happy being deluded.
The truth is too scary and too painful to contemplate.

Can you name these services?

Crickey, this ain't a quiz show, but if you insist, Education and the NHS spring immediately to mind without including the deep cuts in the Civil Service. The reason I posted originally was to see whether folk would pay more tax in the 'right' circumstances. I think, indirectly you have made your position known.

Crickey, this ain't a quiz show, but if you insist, Education and the NHS spring immediately to mind without including the deep cuts in the Civil Service. The reason I posted originally was to see whether folk would pay more tax in the 'right' circumstances. I think, indirectly you have made your position known.

Those old chestnuts eh !

NHS waste billions on far too many managers and the ridiculous amounts they pay agency staff !,Both the NHS and the education system have both been over run with the soaring population.Must admit the CS I have little idea about but would imagine some of them are paid far too much.

NHS and Education are the two main areas along with Pensions that have been protected under the current government

Last Labour govt budget
NHS 98.0 billion
Education 49.6 billion

Last Coalition govt budget
NHS 111.8 billion
Education 53.5 billion

Everyone can have their own views but too many want their own facts!

Can you name these services?

Every police and fire service in Britain have been told that they will face a 20% cut if the Conservatives win as part of 30 billion in public spending cuts. However even if Labour win the cuts will mostly go ahead, conveniently blaming the last government by saying the process had all ready started. Cuts are nothing new they have happened ever year since the 1980's. They just use new terms, like 'modernisation' and that way any union etc arguing can be accused by the media of being dinosaurs.

You'll be pleased to know one area of policing that has always increased its budget is protection for MP's. Not just for current cabinet ministers or Blair. Even Thatcher's ministers from the early 1980's Still have armed chauffeurs in a state provided blast proof car to ferry them around. The theory is the IRA may still attack them.

Those old chestnuts eh !

NHS waste billions on far too many managers and the ridiculous amounts they pay agency staff !,Both the NHS and the education system have both been over run with the soaring population.Must admit the CS I have little idea about but would imagine some of them are paid far too much.

NHS and Education are the two main areas along with Pensions that have been protected under the current government

Last Labour govt budget
NHS 98.0 billion
Education 49.6 billion

NHS 111.8 billion
Education 53.5 billion

Everyone can have their own views but too many want their own facts!

That's what I absolutely love about ShrimperZone. You ask a straightforward, simple question and wait for directly related simple answers, and wait, and wait and wait. I'll know not to bother next time.

Last Labour govt budget
NHS 98.0 billion
Education 49.6 billion

NHS 111.8 billion
Education 53.5 billion

Everyone can have their own views but too many want their own facts![/QUOTE

Do we need trident ?
Overseas aid
EU costs
Wars abroad

To name just 4 which would save us all untold billions very year.

Every police and fire service in Britain have been told that they will face a 20% cut if the Conservatives win as part of 30 billion in public spending cuts. However even if Labour win the cuts will mostly go ahead, conveniently blaming the last government by saying the process had all ready started. Cuts are nothing new they have happened ever year since the 1980's. They just use new terms, like 'modernisation' and that way any union etc arguing can be accused by the media of being dinosaurs.

You'll be pleased to know one area of policing that has always increased its budget is protection for MP's. Not just for current cabinet ministers or Blair. Even Thatcher's ministers from the early 1980's Still have armed chauffeurs in a state provided blast proof car to ferry them around. The theory is the IRA may still attack them.

The police cannot even be bothered to investigate an alarm in Hatton Garden !

I think you'll find that the Tories, Labour and the Lib/Dems have already voted for the same cuts in the first two years of the next Parliament.

Back