• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

inconsistency

shrimperjon

President
29 bloody years, 29 bloody years ive supported our beloved team and in every year of those 29 we have been so inconsistent. What i mean is we always seem to raise our game in either games that we are not expected to do well in or the BIG games. This season for example, we have taken 4 points from both Col U and Orient, both local derbies that mean something and then take into account our performances against Chelsea and my point is made. Going back a few seasons wins at brum, preston etc and at home to man utd.

This season though we have struggled against the likes of yeovil and crewe. If we had played half as well last tuesday as we did saturday we would have beaten crewe and would now be only 9 points from the play offs. Why can we not produce week in week out?

Its hard at this level to really be consistent, remember only a few teams manage it every year, a few years ago it was us winning the league, we have had a lot of players come and go this season alone and that can not help matters, I think we only two or three decent signings from mounting a serious challenge next season and hopefully tilly will get the right ones in the summer

29 bloody years, 29 bloody years ive supported our beloved team and in every year of those 29 we have been so inconsistent. What i mean is we always seem to raise our game in either games that we are not expected to do well in or the BIG games. This season for example, we have taken 4 points from both Col U and Orient, both local derbies that mean something and then take into account our performances against Chelsea and my point is made. Going back a few seasons wins at brum, preston etc and at home to man utd.

This season though we have struggled against the likes of yeovil and crewe. If we had played half as well last tuesday as we did saturday we would have beaten crewe and would now be only 9 points from the play offs. Why can we not produce week in week out?

yeah ... we really raised our game at Donny, didn't we?

All things said and done, we won a mid-table match on Saturday ...... excellent as the result was.

Fair comments, but we were completey outplayed by Donny and they were head and shoulders above us on the day. Look back to the Bury, Swansea, Bristol City, Lincoln games etc where we did produce. Nice to see you looking on the positive side of my thread!

good post but thats football, if your 'consistent' home & away your likely to be a top top side, like leicester have been, they are too good for league one and at the moment id settle for staying in league one and just building on the side.

I do think having Laurent in the team is a massive boost, play him up front with any striker and we are likely to be a big threat

great point, why has it taken me 29 years to understand that we are actually very consistent. bring on inconsistency and a rise up the table!

Loads of teams struggle with this problem of beating smaller teams, look at Liverpool, arguably second best team in the country but they have lost points at home to Hull, West Sham, Man City, Everton, Stoke and Fulham but have also beaten Man Ure and Chelski at Anfield. While some might say that these teams just park the bus at Anfield and they don't do this at Roots Hall just look at Crewe and their 10-0-0 formation for the 60 minutes after they scored on Tuesday. At times I agree we have been inconsistent and we have been poor one week and amazing the next week but that's not out of the ordinary for a team at this level. Look at how much our team has chopped and changed this season, due to loans, injuries and more, can you really blame the players for their inconsistency? I don't think we have found our best XI and stuck with it at all this season, we haven't been able to, when we do for a short while when the team included HRK, Sawyer, Federici, JFC on loan we were in the upper reaches of the league and looking at the playoffs but when we got to Christmas and those players went and the injuries started coming we lost our stability and conseqeuently our consistency.

What manor15 said.

Bigger clubs in bigger matches tend to play an open game and that gives us a chance. In our latest Championship season we got a fair amount of success playing against teams who had a go. Cardiff, Birmingham, West Brom, Southampton, Preston and especially Manchester United. But it should be remembered that we also took a fair few hammerings against the bigger sides too (Birmingham at home and Derby away being two afternoons I can happily never think of again) as well.

In the games where teams came to Roots Hall looking for a point or who didn't throw everyone forward when they were at home we struggled because man for man our players were simply not as good as the opposition.

I suppose we're inconsistent but we're a mid-sized lower-league club and being inconsistent is what mid-sized lower-league Clubs consistently do.

Motivation is what i would say. It is so much easier to motivate yourself when you are playing top teams like Chelsea and Man Utd or in a local derby where pride is at stake than at games against teams like crewe, luton and telford. In most of those games we scored early.

Look on the plus side. I've been supporting for 36 years and we've consistently been inconsistent. When I started going the second tier was an impossible dream and we lived for the 3rd round of the FA Cup or 2nd round of league cup. (in those days we often made it that far :D ). To have made that level twice in my lifetime is fantastic. There are thousands that have gone before us and never had the luxury.

Back