• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Info Request for Swansea Matchday Programme ...

stevethejack

Hope you guys can help. I write for the Swansea City matchday programme about away games, how to get there, where to drink etc.

I have enough information on pubs, directions and admission prices, I'd like to ask your opinion on:

The best thing about your club?
The worst thing about your club?
What is your prediction for the game against the Swans?
Where do you think you'll finish in the league at the end of the season?

Your answer would be printed in the Swansea City matchday programme. Please avoid libellous or defamatory comments, and please give your name as it will be printed in the programme.

Thanks very much – be nice if you could do the play-offs and go up with us.

Hope you guys can help. I write for the Swansea City matchday programme about away games, how to get there, where to drink etc.

I have enough information on pubs, directions and admission prices, I'd like to ask your opinion on:

The best thing about your club?
The worst thing about your club?
What is your prediction for the game against the Swans?
Where do you think you'll finish in the league at the end of the season?

Your answer would be printed in the Swansea City matchday programme. Please avoid libellous or defamatory comments, and please give your name as it will be printed in the programme.

Thanks very much – be nice if you could do the play-offs and go up with us.

By the time you get to play us, hopefully the best thing will be looking forward to the new stadium! I suggest you bear that in mind when preparing your notes - the announcement is due within the next fortnight. Our club is and always has been, well represented in the local community and I believe we're up for an award for this. Worst thing? The fact that so many people who should support Southend in the area, put on the colours of London clubs, when we have in recent years played some really good football - as I'm sure Swansea fans can testify. Another worst would be the difficulty in attracting players to the club, what we get is down to our management team, so when we pull off a great one like Shaun Goater, that's down to Tilly, Brush and Ron Martin.

I'm going to be enjoying the game from an executive suite which we're hiring for my dad's 70th as a surprise (makes a change from our ST seats!), so I'm looking forward to a really entertaining game. I'm going for a 2-2 draw, and have already worked you out to be champions on the BBC predictor with 100 points! I have us finishing in 8th as it happens...but that could all be proved completely wrong.

Hope that's of some use to you!

Best thing about club - We actually play "football", instead of a long ball game
Worst thing about club - Stadium (saying that, hopefully that should be a thing of the past soon)
Prediction - Close game but im going for 1-1 with Barnard and Scotland scoring
Finish - 7th/8th

The best thing about Southend United:

The true commitment and passion of everyone involved with the club.

The worst thing about Southend United:

Our set-piece defending. Absolutely awful.

Prediction: Southend United VS Swansea City

2-2. The fact we are playing at Roots Hall, against the table toppers should weight each other out.

Finishing position

With our transfer window activity showing so much promise I am going to have to say 5th/6th.

Elliot Horne

Last edited:
The best thing about Southend United

The future is blue .The fact that it is a growing club and with a new ground on the way and effective management we could well be an established championship team in no time.

That the fans at the club are so fickle. At other clubs they are viciforous (jacks included) even in defeat. Even when we are winning sometimes its like a library. Although support has been very good in terms of numbers.

Hard to say really as southend swans games are rarely dull. Im going for 1-0 either way. Should be good entertainment.

Finishing position

A few months ago i would have said a play-off place was beyond us , but we have made numerous signings and barnard and walker both look class. If we can tighten up at the back and all the new players gel then 6th place is not unachievable.

Good luck for the rest of the season, although i doubt you will need it. Always had respect for the swans as they have for us.

Best thing: Definitely the upwards move to a new stadium.
Worst thing: Fickle support, but that's the same everywhere I guess.
Prediction: The best result I can hope for is a draw as you're Championship bound. 1-1.
Finishing position: Heart says 6th, head says outside playoffs 'cos we just can't defend.

Thanks for all your input. I've had to edit your comments a little (for space), but it's all pretty much in there. Below is what should appear in the matchday progeamme on Friday 7th March (v Millwall) and Tuesday 11th March (v Tranmere). Thanks again & good luck. Hopefully we'll all have something to celebrate, either on Good Friday, or later in the year.

Southend United Friday 21st March 2008 13:00

Address: Roots Hall, Victoria Avenue, Southend On Sea, Essex SS2 6NQ

Telephone Number: 01702 30 40 50

Web Site: www.southendunited.co.uk/

What’s It Like

Around 2,000 away fans are housed in what was the home end, the North Stand, which is a covered seated stand. The leg room and height distance between each row is pretty poor. Food in the away end is served from a 'Cafe' type shop, with tables and chairs. Bacon rolls, hot dogs, pies, cheeseburgers and CHIPS. The club has an initial allocation of 1,006 tickets in the Universal Cycles North Stand behind the goal priced at £20; £13 for senior citizens; £12 for full-time students (ID) and 17 - 20 year olds (ID); and £10 for 16 years and under. Family tickets are also available in the away family enclosure, priced at £20 for 1 adult and 1 child (16 and under). Tickets on the day are £2 more (£1 more for 16 years and under). Tickets for 17 - 20 year olds are only available in advance. All registered disabled supporters are eligible to receive concessionary tickets. Those with mobility allowance in the higher bracket are also entitled to a complimentary ticket for their accompanying carer. There are limited spaces available for wheelchair users, priced at £13 with a free carer. I’ve done a weekender in Southend and had a good laugh. There’s plenty of B&B’s around, but you need to book in advance, especially with it being Easter weekend, as Southend is one of the Londoners getaway hotspots. Swans fans and Southend fans have a very good relationship after our appreciation of their efforts to promotion in 2006, expect to be welcomed with open arms.

What the Shrimpers Fans Think

Old Blue Lady says “By the time you get to play us, hopefully the best thing will be looking forward to the new stadium! Our club is and always has been well represented in the local community and I believe we're up for an award for this. The worst thing is so many people who should support Southend in the area, put on the colours of London clubs, when we have in recent years played some really good football - as I'm sure Swansea fans can testify. Another worst would be the difficulty in attracting players to the club, what we get is down to our management team, so when we pull off a great one like Shaun Goater, that's down to Tilly, Brush and Ron Martin. I'm going to be enjoying the game from an executive suite which we're hiring for my dad's 70th as a surprise (makes a change from our Season Ticket seats!), so I'm looking forward to a really entertaining game. I'm going for a 2-2 draw, and have already worked you out to be champions on the BBC predictor with 100 points! I have us finishing in 8th as it happens...but that could all be proved completely wrong”. Elliott Horne says “The best thing about Southend United is the true commitment and passion of everyone involved with the club. The worst thing is our set-piece defending, absolutely awful. My prediction is a 2-2, the fact we are playing at Roots Hall, against the table toppers should weight each other out. With our transfer window activity showing so much promise I am going to have to say we’ll finish 5th or 6th. Tommy reckons “The best thing about Southend United is that the future is blue. It’s a growing club with a new ground on the way and effective management we could well be an established championship team in no time. The worst thing is the fans are so fickle. At other clubs they are vociferous (jacks included) even in defeat. Even when we are winning sometimes it’s like a library. Although support has been very good in terms of numbers. My prediction: against the Swans is hard to say really as our games are rarely dull. I’m going for 1-0 either way, it should be good entertainment. A few months ago I would have said a play-off place was beyond us, but we have made numerous signings and Barnard and Walker look class. If we can tighten up at the back and all the new players gel then 6th place is not unachievable. Good luck for the rest of the season, although I doubt you’ll need it. Always had respect for the Swans as they have for us”. Paul Cox says “The best thing is definitely the upwards move to a new stadium. The worst is the fickle support, but that's the same everywhere I guess. The best result I can hope for is a draw as you're Championship bound, 1-1. Our finishing position; Heart says 6th, head says outside playoffs 'cos we just can't defend. ‘Barrettisalegend’ says “The best thing about club is we actually play ‘football’, instead of a long ball game. The worst thing about club is the Stadium (saying that, hopefully that should be a thing of the past soon). My prediction is a close game, I’m going for 1-1 with Barnard and Scotland scoring. We’ll finish the season 7th or 8th.”

Pubs and Grub

At the ground, 'Shrimpers Bar' is members only. ‘The Spread Eagle’ (SS2 6NE) is normally home fans only but ‘The Blueboar Pub’ (SS2 6EL) welcomes away fans. They’re on the A127, just up from the car park entrance to the Main Stand. There’s a good fish & chip shop ‘The Fish House' (SS2 6LQ) across the road by the traffic lights. Further away is the ‘Bell Hotel’ (SS2 6RL), a Toby carvery pub which you pass on your way into Southend. The town centre is about 20 minutes walk and has Burger King and MacDonald's, as well as pubs offering food at tidy prices, try Yates's Wine Lodge (SS1 1NZ) or ‘The Last Post’ (SS1 1AS). Alcohol is not served to away fans at the ground.

Directions and Parking

Leave the M25 at Junction 29 and follow the A127 to Southend, towards the town centre, through the lights near to the ‘Bell Hotel’. At the next roundabout turn RIGHT, continuing on the A127 to the town centre. The ground is on the right just past traffic lights. Loads of street parking is available, if you arrive early enough. There’s a car park at the ground, behind the Main Stand (£5). By Train: A five-minute walk is Prittlewell station, served by trains from London Liverpool Street. If you come into Southend Central station, served by trains from London Fenchurch Street, its a 15 minute walk from the ground. The main bus station is close to Southend Central so it may be worth getting a bus up to the ground. If you are getting a bus from the town centre, they go along Victoria Avenue, to Roots Hall, including numbers. 7, 8, 9, 15, 16, 20, 25, and 33. Buses will leave Morriston X at 6.30am and the Quadrant at 6.45am Prices are £16, £19 for non members.

The best thing about Southend United:

The fans at away games

Our set-piece defending

2-1 Southend

Finishing position:

5th and Playoff winners

Just a few pointers about your pubs & grubs section mate...

You have forgotten to add The Golden Lion, which is THE away fans pub, its just up from the entrance to the ground, slightly closer than The Spread Eagle, on Victoria Avenue.

try Yates's Wine Lodge (SS1 1NZ) [/FONT]

There’s a car park at the ground, behind the Main Stand (£5)

Couple of things -

I think Yates's has shut down & is now a Spanish restuarant?

The car park at the ground is for car park ticket holders only, they do not take cash. There is as you say plenty of street parking or a car park at Southend High School for boys in Prittlewell Chase which is £5.

I look forward to your lot coming down, it'll be a good game whatever happens, even if its a 0-0 draw it will be tightly contested.

Back