• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Inheritance Tax

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
I've been looking at Inheritance Tax on the HMRC website but can't find what I need to know, so now I'm consulting the all-knowing oracle that is SZ.

Anybody know what happens if you're inheriting from abroad (my dad lived in germany) - I'm sure the amount will be under the inheritance tax threshold.

Thanks in advance.

DS.

Is your Dad a German tax payer or does he pay tax in the UK?

Is it a cash amount he is giving you or an asset?

Cheers

I've been looking at Inheritance Tax on the HMRC website but can't find what I need to know, so now I'm consulting the all-knowing oracle that is SZ.

Anybody know what happens if you're inheriting from abroad (my dad lived in germany) - I'm sure the amount will be under the inheritance tax threshold.

Thanks in advance.

DS.

Inheritance tax is payable on the estate rather than by the individual inheriting, i.e. it's a tax on death rather than a tax on inheritance (calling it a death tax doesn't go down well with voters, hence the misleading name) so it doesn't matter where you are based, but rather where your father was 'domiciled' and where the assets are based.

If, as you expect, his entire estate was worth less than the inheritance tax threshold (can't remember what it is, but it's over a quarter of a mil) then there shouldn't be anything to worry about from an UK inheritance tax perspective anyway.

If, as you expect, his entire estate was worth less than the inheritance tax threshold (can't remember what it is, but it's over a quarter of a mil) then there shouldn't be anything to worry about from an UK inheritance tax perspective anyway.

IIRC raising the limit to £1,000,000 was one of Cameron's election bribes that he has (unsurprisingly) failed to deliver. There's quite a few broken promises from the election...

I also remember him saying he had no plans to raise VAT, but managed to do that in his emergency budget a few days after the election...I wonder where Mr. Clegg was when that was decided...

Back