• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Injury worry rocks Blues

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Paul Sturrock fears Mark Phillips and Jean-Paul Kalala could both be facing long lay-offs after picking up injuries during Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Shrewsbury Town.

More...

Good job we have a week off then. Give these injuries some time to hopefully settle down and heal.

What worries me most is that Sturrock would of prefer to play against 11 rather than 10 :stunned:

What worries me most is that Sturrock would of prefer to play against 11 rather than 10 :stunned:

I would agree with that too!

you also see team with 10 men dig in and the work rate goes up, though you would think having one less player would make it easier for the other team

He doesn't quite say that, and he has a point. Often if you and the players feel you've suffered an injustice then you back your team more and they step up their performance too. They may switch their tactics so they are more happy to sit back and defend (although they didn't in this case), and therefore if they go a man down it can be difficult to gain any advantage from it. I think the fullbacks are really important when playing against 10 men, because you tend to find the mismatches when sending an extra player forward. I wasn't at the game but Clohessy is great at finding the space and supporting the attack, especially when Dicko holds the ball up. If Gilbert was able to offer this support on the left too then we may have had a bit more joy in attack.

you also see team with 10 men dig in and the work rate goes up, though you would think having one less player would make it easier for the other team

Whilst I agree with your point, why does it take losing a man for teams to up their work rate on the pitch?

Yep, playing against 10 men is never easy. Especially when it's a striker who's been sent off as they still have their two banks of four.

was walking the dog today where the first team were training and their were only 10 players training outside and that was including crawford and woodyard, surely we havnt got that many injuries or maybe the rest were doing training inside.

was walking the dog today where the first team were training and their were only 10 players training outside and that was including crawford and woodyard, surely we havnt got that many injuries or maybe the rest were doing training inside.

I think a few got an extra day off..I know Sampson said he wasn't going in today.

As well as the injuries I'm a bit worried about Ryan Hall - missed a couple of days training due to "personal issues" and a bug of some sort and then didn't start for us. We all know how important a player he is for us - here's hoping he doesn't join the list of casualties for whatever reason. We're going to need him fully fit (both mentally and physically) for the rest of the season.

He doesn't quite say that, and he has a point. Often if you and the players feel you've suffered an injustice then you back your team more and they step up their performance too. They may switch their tactics so they are more happy to sit back and defend (although they didn't in this case), and therefore if they go a man down it can be difficult to gain any advantage from it. I think the fullbacks are really important when playing against 10 men, because you tend to find the mismatches when sending an extra player forward. I wasn't at the game but Clohessy is great at finding the space and supporting the attack, especially when Dicko holds the ball up. If Gilbert was able to offer this support on the left too then we may have had a bit more joy in attack.

Whilst i agree with what you say and know its not easy to break down 10 men to be outplayed by them is another thing. Having done well previously this season when playing against 10 keeping the ball we failed to do that and continued to play direct to Dicko.

Its becoming a pattern that when Dickinson is marked by a decent center back who is commanding in the air we have a bad performance.

Whilst i agree with what you say and know its not easy to break down 10 men to be outplayed by them is another thing. Having done well previously this season when playing against 10 keeping the ball we failed to do that and continued to play direct to Dicko.

Its becoming a pattern that when Dickinson is marked by a decent center back who is commanding in the air we have a bad performance.
another reason why Dickinson should have been subbed

We don't have a Plan B....I think that is what causes a lot of people's frustration when things don't go so well, rather than the actual performances themselves.

Lets hope they're not out for too long, Phillips for me has been such an important player for us, Kalala too is good at what he does breaking up play and holding that midfield just in front of the defence. Was it around this time last season Anthony Grant scored his first goal for us and banged them in for fun consistently? We all know Granty's quality, had a bit of a dip recently but he will get back.

Losing Phillips for what could be a long layoff, is far more worrying to me than losing to away from home to one of the best sides in the division who are unbeaten at home.

Fingers crossed Phillips injury isn't as bad as they seem to think.

Lets hope they're not out for too long, Phillips for me has been such an important player for us, Kalala too is good at what he does breaking up play and holding that midfield just in front of the defence. Was it around this time last season Anthony Grant scored his first goal for us and banged them in for fun consistently? We all know Granty's quality, had a bit of a dip recently but he will get back.
No was the beginning of last season when Grant was on fire, but didn't last long and has struggled ever since. I've seen him come on and look good but when he starts it just doesn't seem to happen for him. I think it could be time for him to move on... And probably become top scorer at a new club, scoring the winner against us for his new club on his return to roots hall.

We don't have a Plan B....I think that is what causes a lot of people's frustration when things don't go so well, rather than the actual performances themselves.

Absolutely disagree. PS seems ordinarily to always be monitoring each game and certainly is prepared to change things. I remember when Ferdinand got subbed in the first half to change things. You cant possibly expect him to get every decision right all of the time, but who can disagree that, given our league position, he seems to get most things right. I actually think he really is a master tactician and who has better experience to get us out of this division.

Back