• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Instant bounce back or sustainable future

Which option from the below would you prefer for Southend going forwards?

• An immediate return to the FL funded by a significant Ron investment but nothing at the club changes

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • A longer stint in the NL that involves significant changes and restructuring to give fans more say

Votes: 47 66.2%

• Total voters

Texas Eslan

Striker
Morning All,
This may have already been discussed but given the upcoming protests I wanted to ask a question. Which of the below options would you see as more popular? Let’s assume there are only these two options.
  1. An immediate return to the FL funded by a significant Ron investment but nothing at the club changes in terms of how he is or;
  2. A longer stint in the NL that involves significant changes and restructuring to give fans more control.

Would giving fans more control necessarily lead to a better run club?
Fair question. My question was more around what the aim of the protest is (which is sustainability and a greater say) and not necessarily what happens down the line.

Fair question. My question was more around what the aim of the protest is (which is sustainability and a greater say) and not necessarily what happens down the line.

That's one of the problems with running things by committee.

Last edited:
Morning All,
This may have already been discussed but given the upcoming protests I wanted to ask a question. Which of the below options would you see as more popular? Let’s assume there are only these two options.
  1. An immediate return to the FL funded by a significant Ron investment but nothing at the club changes in terms of how he is or;
  2. A longer stint in the NL that involves significant changes and restructuring to give fans more control.
Answer 1 for me.
This would mean Ron is starting to get it right and the penny has dropped!

I guess what we really want is a better run club.

You might remember an experiment at Ebbsfleet when the team was selected by fans!
It was called MyFootballClub and lasted about five minutes when subscriptions were woefully short of the sustainable target.

I like the idea of fan or member ownership a la Barca, but running the club still has to be the province of a CEO and management staff. It can't be done by committee.

I'm not sure why changes can't come with an instant return?
Does it suggest there would be less money if fans had more say, and why?

In the first loaded choice, it says there would be no change. There certainly would be if we got an instant promotion.
Would a chastened Ron now spend more wisely? Surely, as stubborn as he is, he will be aware of his howlers, even if he refuses to acknowledge them.

But why?

Just because many fans believe Ron Martin is doing a terrible job doesn't mean they could do any better.
Well going by 50+1 model which comes with external investment. You would have more sustainable run football club and fans ie shrimper trust will have more of say how the football club is run.

With just ron, the football club just relying on 1 man to make the right decision and support the football club.

Last edited:
Have to go for it in the first season down while there's more money around, but equally be prepared to be able to cut back costs quickly if plan A fails. We can't be saddled with more unstainable debt if we don't manage the quick return.

In theory you would have a more of sustainable well run club, but you wouldn't get the so called wow signing anymore.

In theory nearly all fans think they know best when it comes to picking a team. The reality is it will never happen and I for one am pleased about that.

If it appears some don't even pick a keeper on the pre match thread :Think:

Back