• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Insurance Renewal Quotes...

pickledseal

cowboy
This baffles me a little and wondered if anyone could shed any light on it...

I got my home contents renewal from Direct Line telling me that my premium had gone up from £32 to £55 (no claims, nothings changed etc). I then headed towards a couple of comparison websites and saw that £55 was not too bad, but there was a few lower. The lowest was AA for £38.

I called up Direct Line and they instantly, no hassle said, "Yeah I can do £37.80 for you".

Do enough people just not bother to check out prices and automatically renew?
Surely they risk losing some customers who just cancel and sign up with someone else?

Exactly the same to my old dear last week, although different companies I think. She promptly rang a rival, got it cheaper than the year before, and then rang the current company, who then reduced their original quote instantly, but it was too late for them.

its business sence im afraid.
So many people cant be bothered to look round etc, accept what the renewl is, and carry on. If they can get away with it, why not?
If you challenge it, you will more often than not get them to come down, but if they can make an extra dollar off you, of course they will.
Remember, time is money, and when it comes to insurance.. the more time you spend, the more money you will save

Direct line are total briefcasers.

I rang up to question my outrageour renewal, and the further incresed it!!

So I went elsewhere and saved £250

i work in buildings and contents/valuables insurance and its going that way for everyone. prices are going up and actually getting worse rather than better even with clients who have had no claims etc.

your best bet is to carry on looking online as you get bette discounts that way but don't be fooled into thinking you get that discount forever its usually only for the first 12 months then it drops off.

thing is don't go with just anyone, theres loads of companies offering next to nothing insurance but their product is rubbish. price looks good but when you actually look into it the amount thats not covered it actually turns out its very expensive because it barely covers you for anything so try to avoid those sort of companies.

i work in buildings and contents/valuables insurance and its going that way for everyone. prices are going up and actually getting worse rather than better even with clients who have had no claims etc.

your best bet is to carry on looking online as you get bette discounts that way but don't be fooled into thinking you get that discount forever its usually only for the first 12 months then it drops off.

thing is don't go with just anyone, theres loads of companies offering next to nothing insurance but their product is rubbish. price looks good but when you actually look into it the amount thats not covered it actually turns out its very expensive because it barely covers you for anything so try to avoid those sort of companies.

yup, just got my renewal, it's getting a bit steep this year, £650 !! absolute joke, but would rather have it and know that i'm covered than be with a £100 company that will argue any claims

I had similar with boiler insurance - renewal notice came in with a 15% increase in the monthly charge - rang them up and they offered to reduce to 5% increase - but I rejected that and told them I was looking for no increase - and they agreed to that.

To me its also a matter of service, and having had three claims (two contents , one buildings) in the past year, all have been dealt with in an exemplary fashion, I am rather pleased I stayed with the same company and did not chop and change every year. Especially when on each occasion I contacted the claims department they mentioned how long I had been a policy holder.

To me its also a matter of service, and having had three claims (two contents , one buildings) in the past year, all have been dealt with in an exemplary fashion, I am rather pleased I stayed with the same company and did not chop and change every year. Especially when on each occasion I contacted the claims department they mentioned how long I had been a policy holder.

thats exactly it, you need to make sure that if you make a claims that the claims team are good enough and they are not going to squirm out of paying. endless amount of insurers try this on.

as i've said you can always get cheaper but that doesn't mean a thing when you've got water pouring over everywhere and they tell you your not covered.

60% of claims are for accidental damage and over half of the companies out there don't cover this although they lead you to believe they do. best bet is to go with an all risk policy. more expensive but worth it in the long run.

Back