• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues4LifeDan

Manager
Just saw a snippet in the Daily Mirror stating that there is interest for Charlton's Joe Piggott from Millwall, Colchester and Oxford.
I remember the game at the Den when Harris stated how impressed he was with Joe in game.

My view on Pig,

Pig and Hunt with Jack behind will realise his potential .
Pig as the lone forward ain't going to work in a million year's.

Play to his strengths or let him go,simples!

My view on Pig,

Pig and Hunt with Jack behind will realise his potential .
Pig as the lone forward ain't going to work in a million year's.

Play to his strengths or let him go,simples!

Totally agree. Apart from yesterday, Mooney is a different player when he plays with Hunt (and Payne in behind). Pig would be the same. It takes a certain type to be an effective lone striker and none of ours fit that mould. Something for Brown to look at in January....

Cult hero though he may be, I don't think it would be the end of the world if Pigott tried his hand elsewhere and we tried a replacement.

99% sure Pigott won't be staying with us, either way. A fan shouted "send him back, Phil!" at the match yesterday and Brown turned and nodded in agreement... I think he's had enough chances to prove his worth now - though he'll go down in our history books for Wembley!

Have said all along there's a good player in there, he just needs some support alongside. If we'd have had the opportunity to see him and Hunt together for any decent spell, I rather think we'd all be clamouring for him to stay.

They're welcome to him as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, that goal at Wembley was probably the best moment of my life and I'll always be grateful to him for that, but would we have signed him if it hadn't been for that? For me he just doesn't have any defining attributes - he's not pacey and for someone quite tall he gets muscled off the ball too easily. And it's quite clear that he didn't want to come here in the summer. There are probably better players out there we could get on loan.

They're welcome to him as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, that goal at Wembley was probably the best moment of my life and I'll always be grateful to him for that, but would we have signed him if it hadn't been for that? For me he just doesn't have any defining attributes - he's not pacey and for someone quite tall he gets muscled off the ball too easily. And it's quite clear that he didn't want to come here in the summer. There are probably better players out there we could get on loan.

He has quick feet and is a goalscorer.

Big question is can Brown find better? Where can we get a targetman who can score goals? Any of those lurking in league 2???

Big question is can Brown find better? Where can we get a targetman who can score goals? Any of those lurking in league 2???

Don't joke about it. Jabo Ibhere has played for both Col Ewe and Orient. If he had an Irish passport he'd be a certainty to sign.

Otherwise there's only one other player in the Football League who's over 6 foot and has scored 12 goals this season.

Don't joke about it. Jabo Ibhere has played for both Col Ewe and Orient. If he had an Irish passport he'd be a certainty to sign.

Otherwise there's only one other player in the Football League who's over 6 foot and has scored 12 goals this season.

Corr Blimey, is there?

Couldn't agree more. That goal in May when we were seconds away from another, never-ending slog in league two was f****** magical but unfortunately for Pig, he seems league two quality at absolute best. I hope he proves me wrong as that goal will always give him legendary status with me but on seeing him numerous times this season, he just seems awkward when playing up-top and miles off the pace. So much so, that whenever Brown brings him on, normally with 10-15 mins to go, I groan to myself because its like watching someone on ice-skates play up-front, he's all over the place. Sometimes he tries, sometimes he doesn't, but he never wins the ball in the air for a 6ft plus striker, he's not strong and he certainly cant dribble. He does find space in the box but that space is so much more quickly closed down in league one. Think Joe and the club need to go their separate ways! With our position in the league, I'd like to think we can attract a good league 1 striker to the club this Jan either on loan or permanently.

if brown was going to sign him up again would he not be playing a lot more then he is the pig is surplus in my opinion get a fast hungry forward in. my personal opinion id would love to get ruben reid in from plymouth

Pig's stats whilst here which are very good.

Minutes available 4560
Minutes played 2881
Goals scored 12

Better than 1 in 3 full games.

99% sure Pigott won't be staying with us, either way. A fan shouted "send him back, Phil!" at the match yesterday and Brown turned and nodded in agreement... I think he's had enough chances to prove his worth now - though he'll go down in our history books for Wembley!

Like you I heard the shout and saw Phil's reaction.
I thought the shout was bonkers as the lad wasn't given a chance and getting the blame for the team being 3 nil down while he was on the bench and coming on to a poor/nil service task. I thought Phil was very lacking in motivation for his players all 2nd half and either showed zero loyalty at that moment or very shrewd business acumen to get the Pig at deflated payment; more likely the questionable man-management leadership.
It is interesting that more people seem to be blaming young Joe for the defeat than either Brown or any other person?:omg:

I'm not sure what good getting a different striker in instead of Pigott will do, if like Pigott he's going to spend most of his time on the bench.

Both Pigott & Mooney have scored all their goals when they have started games rather than coming on as a sub.
Pigott has 5 goals from 13 starts. (1 goal every 2.6 games)
Mooney 6 from 24 starts. (1 goal every 4 games)

Personally if I was Pigott I'd probably leave us in January for somewhere he'll actually get to play. As opposed to here where he doesn't get to play and still gets abused for not scoring.

Last edited:
Like you I heard the shout and saw Phil's reaction.
I thought the shout was bonkers as the lad wasn't given a chance and getting the blame for the team being 3 nil down while he was on the bench and coming on to a poor/nil service task. I thought Phil was very lacking in motivation for his players all 2nd half and either showed zero loyalty at that moment or very shrewd business acumen to get the Pig at deflated payment; more likely the questionable man-management leadership.
It is interesting that more people seem to be blaming young Joe for the defeat than either Brown or any other person?:omg:

I am not one of those, but I do think that he has had opportunities to impress before now and hasn't done so. I also accept though that our method of playing does not suit him either.

Back