• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Think he's got a future ,but at what level will be interesting.Will be a box player who feeds off other people's efforts.One weak part of his game is effort to often gives up when dispossessed and lightweight against strong defenders,but that will probably change with age

Drastic™;1817626 said:
Both Pigott & Mooney have scored all their goals when they have started games rather than coming on as a sub.
Pigott has 5 goals from 13 starts. (1 goal every 2.6 games)
Mooney 6 from 24 starts. (1 goal every 4 games)

Without the penalties, Mooney's record looks even less impressive.

For me that is the choice -Mooney OR Piggott: AND the Pig hasn't been given the run of games/starts that Mooney has had.
I am not sold on either as the answer to being a 15+ goals a season player for us BUT would prefer Pig to be given a forward role starting alongside Hunt; and have an opportunity, than being lambasted for being unhappy at warming the bench.

Whilst Hunt has been injured Mooney has been doing the job that Pigott should have. He has made it clear he does not want to be a target man. As we have seen in recent weeks if a player come's in and puts in the effort they keep the shirt. If Pigott is on the bench he has no one else to blame but himself.

Pig's stats whilst here which are very good.

Minutes available 4560
Minutes played 2881
Goals scored 12

Better than 1 in 3 full games.

Scored just 5 goals in 27 games this season though. He hasn't scored since the 10th of October.

He's scoreless in 615 minutes

I can almost certainly confirm he is not staying. Still wants to be part of Charlton. Not sure we want him either to be fair.

I think he's not too bad and would look to keep him. I certainly prefer him to mooney. The charlton one may have legs, with them likely to be in league 1 next season, he could do a job for them

Given the right coaching and opportunities to play, I think JP will become a very useful player, probably at Championship level. Sadly I feel he is unlikely to get the coaching or opportunities with us. If I were JP, at his age, I would refuse to stay and look elsewhere. Its a shame because, if played and played right, he could be very good for us but the club has demonstrated time and again that it currently has no idea with regard strikers. I feel for them. They have a very tough task, are made to look poor players and inevitably take the brunt of the blame.

I'm in the send him back camp. I just don't think he works hard enough, certainly not consistently. Don't doubt there is a player in there, but he doesn't look like the answer for us. Thanks for Wembley and good luck wherever u end up. My concern is more trusting PB to find the right striker. His record in this dept is pretty poor if we are being honest. The one thing we lack up front is pace. With a pacey striker alongside either hunt or Mooney we could be a real force.

The trouble is that he comes across as a bit of a sulker when not picked. One of those that needs to be loved, and needs a reassuring arm around.

Shame it hasn't worked out for him here after Wembley but he doesn't fit into the ethos of our squad. Like said above he needs to be loved, have a arm around the shoulder and Then you'd get the best out of him. Where As our squad has a spirit of battle hard, grab the shirt when it's offered and play for the shirt. Something piggott showed in the summer in a interview he didn't want to do at Southend.

There were a couple of evening games towards the end of last season where Pig looked pretty good up front with Jake Cassidy. Since then there has of course been the Wembley goal but not a lot else. Bottom line is his heart doesn't seem in it at Southend. He's not a grafter, not a target man and not really quick. I think he needs to realise that he won't make it in the Championship and league two is his natural level. Once he does this a reasonable player may emerge.

Some of you need to understand that when an experienced battle hardened warrior complains about how we play,then any young inexperienced player will hate the system and quickly lose interest.

Just saw a snippet in the Daily Mirror stating that there is interest for Charlton's Joe Piggott from Millwall, Colchester and Oxford.
I remember the game at the Den when Harris stated how impressed he was with Joe in game.

Can't see us being interested in him, we have strikers out on loan because we have too many already!

Whether he stays or goes will depend in part on how confident PB is that he has an upgrade lined up. Ultimately if he stays he is an reasonable squad player at this level and I believe will also improve.

My big worry is the things he might not be able to change- principally that he is not quick. He is also is not good in the air and his first touch is average (these can improve but in months not days).

His finishing is probably a strength but without pace he certainly needs to be playing up front with a partner who is going to create (that really means Hunt). In the ideal world he would have played 3-4 games up front with Noel before a final decision- probably not time for that now although I am sure they have been paired in practice often enough.

To be fair to him I wouldn't say he's any worse than the likes of Woodrow and he does ok.

Piggy is actually a lot stronger under pressure from opposing players than Mooney, in my opinion. He shields the ball well, and we all know how he can turn and shoot. Whether he stays or whether he goes, I'm eternally grateful to him for giving me one of my best ever moments in supporting the Blues.

Back