• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
Well, actually the title of the thread is misleading. It should say pathetic, slanderous Bradford article. Can't we pretend we're Americans for a minute and just sue these various people making accusations without evidence!?  

"Racist Southend Supporters claimed a point for the Shrimpers by pushing Ricketts into reacting and getting sent off. They will be laughing now and could be given the Freedom of the Town should they go up/stay up by the single point they got through racially abusing our keeper."

Staggering, absolutely staggering. Their Manager sets a good example for them after his comments clearly.

glare.gif

suspect.gif

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Pathetic! Don't they have anything better do like work down a mine or collect apples for their home-made cider!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ Dec. 13 2005,20:22)]No right of reply either. No surprise there then.
But you needn't worry:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]We are not against message boards like the one on The Official Bradford City website nor are we against Email lists like The Internet Bantams but we do not want BfB to move in that direction.

Aside from the various abuse issues involved and the administration that brings we believe that BfB should offer a more accountable, more thought out view on City.

News we have submitted is checked for accuracy and articles are by there very nature more considered than message board posts. We think this keeps BfB as a trustworthy and interesting publication.

The boy's a comedy genius.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Dec. 13 2005,21:15)]The author does have a contact email address though:

michael@boysfrombrazil.co.uk

WS
Good find Mike...

Can I plead with people not to respond in kind if they e-mail him? Give him a link to the SZ threads, and point out that there is a valid point of view that disagrees with his sweeping condemnation of all things SUFC - but don't just abuse him, show him we are better than that. Abuse will just confirm him in his parochial view!

Just sent this

>>Dear Sirs

I have just read your article about the FA "letting racism win" by failing to overturn Donavan Ricketts ban.  
It seems obvious from your article that you have first hand evidence of the racist abuse, as this is vital to both Southend United's and The Essex police investigation into this case. Please could you contact Southend United immediately, advising them of what you heard and your location in relationship to those fans which were responsible for the abuse.

Thank you for your assistance in the ongoing investigation.<<

I will wait to see if there is any response and then consider finding out how / what to do regarding defamation

MTS can you offer any guidance (I know its not property law but....)

Just sent him this.

I am writing to comment on your website article re the Donovan Ricketts sending off.

The tone of your article is highly derogatory and a generalisation against ALL Southend United supporters.
Yes, I can understand you feel hard done by in that the FA threw out the red-card appeal and writing this on Wednesday morning you probably now think it also cost Bradford City a place in R3 of the FA Cup after shipping 5 goals.  That does not however give you carte-blanche to criticise a club and it supporters known countrywide for its family & community values.

The whole episode is a sorry state of affairs for both clubs, particularly as it seems Todd & Ricketts are the only people crying "racism".  Yes, there was some level of abuse from behind the goal, we are well known for how we wind up all goalkeepers, be they white, black or pink & yellow like Mr Blobby.  It's all part & parcel of trying to create a hostile atmosphere for the away team.  It doesn't mean to say it was definitely racist.  From the stories I have heard, it seems he received far more comments on "self-abusing" than he did on his creed.  You may well argue, that a Southend United fan has been arrested, therefore must have been the perpetrator, a number of people who know this guy (a member of the Shrimpers Trust himself) can state categorically that no racist abuse was given & have contacted Southend police to inform them of this fact.  At the end of the day, it seems that after his own police caution, Ricketts has decided to single out one of the most notable Southend fans to try & defend his childish antics and divert attention from the fact his unprofessionalism left his team-mates to fight a 60 minute battle with a striker in goal.

The internet is a powerful tool so why feel the need to create slanderous tales not even worthy of gutter journalism?  Please feel free to offer your defence to your article on the message boards at www.shrimperzone.com.

That is an appalling article, and Mr. Wood has now received the following email from me:

- - - - - - - - -

<span style='color:blue'>Dear Mr. Wood,

I have just had seen your article entitled &quot;FA let the racists win&quot; on the Boy from Brazil column.

http://www.boyfrombrazil.co.uk/column.asp?name=wood_michael108

I am not sure I have ever had the misfortune to read a sloppier, more unbalanced, ill-informed article than yours. In my 15 years of supporting Southend United, I have never seen our club&#39;s name dragged through the mud in quite such an abhorrent way. Your actions do you, your website and the club you support an enormous disservice.

Before you indulge in this sort of amateurish slander in future, you may wish to apprise yourself of the facts - not least the deep-seated abhorrence of and opposition to racism that is found at our proud football club, Southend United FC. In particular, you would be well-advised to read the statements made by the Southend United Supporters&#39; Club Trust here:

http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/news/racism%20statement.shtml

as well as the statements issued by Southend United Football Club via its official website here:

http://www.southendunited.premiumtv.co.uk/page....00.html

Given that ours is a club with a proud history and tradition of black players, your article is a disgraceful slur against the good name of Southend United Football Club and its supporters. In fact, I am not sure I am overstepping the mark when I suggest that it is tantamount to defamation against the Club and the Supporters&#39; Trust; to that end, I will be drawing the article to their attention - so that they may be in a position to take whatever action they consider appropriate. They may in turn pass the matter to the FA as well.

Finally, should you wish to respond to these criticisms in public, please feel free to visit the leading independent Southend fans&#39; message-board - of which I am one of the owners and moderators - and make whatever response you consider appropriate in the circumstances, once you have considered the statements issued by the club and the Supporters&#39; Trust. That website is here:

http://www.shrimperzone.com/cgi-bin....=SF;f=1

We look forward to your considered response.

Yours sincerely
for and on behalf of
ShrimperZone.com

Matthew Walker</span>

Incidentally, I have also contacted the club (well, Scriv&#33;), the Trust (Paul Fitz) and the FA to let them know of the article and to our reaction to it.

Matt

Well here is my two penny worth.

Dear Sirs

I am responding to your article concerning the sending off of Donovan Ricketts during our game at Roots Hall last Saturday.

Your article is both imflammatory and a complete fabrication. You base the whole context of your piece on the word of Messrs Ricketts &amp; Todd, and on this basis I regret to advise you that you have been sadly misled.

Mr Ricketts is guilty of a total lack of professionalism in allowing himself to be wound up by the crowd and making two gestures towards them. He has also picked out the most noticeable supporter in the stand to make his despicable allegation of racist abuse. I regret that Colin Todd has also been dragged into this by accepting the word of Ricketts as being gospel.

I saw Ricketts make both gestures, and while i cannot be absolutely certain that no racist abuse took place, there are too many people of all walks of life who have stated categorically and with absolute certainty that there was no racial abuse.

If you have firm evidence of such abuse then please speak directly to our club or alternatively to Essex Police who i am sure will be interested to hear your evidence.

If not then please forward a public apology for your damaging, slanderous &amp; scurrilous attack on our club.

Thank you for your attention.

Back