• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Interesting Point Made Post match by PB

PB might criticise the Bournemouth way of doing things but it kept them in the Premier league a lot longer than he managed to keep Hull there.

Nevertheless Brown does have a point. I've never seen us so woeful in attack. And Bournemouth, whilst difficult to play against, were as boring as ****.

PB might criticise the Bournemouth way of doing things but it kept them in the Premier league a lot longer than he managed to keep Hull there.

Nevertheless Brown does have a point. I've never seen us so woeful in attack. And Bournemouth, whilst difficult to play against, were as boring as ****.

I disagree on Bournemouth, they certainly weren’t ‘park the bus merchants’ in the Prem, I always thought they were pretty entertaining, not sure how you found them boring to watch?

They did arguably love to overplay from the back, maybe that’s where MM’s initial tippy tappy style came from, but they definitely weren’t overly defensive.

Edit: I’m not at all sure what Brown’s criticising but I’m guessing failing to commit enough players forward and relying too much on defence. If so, he’s criticising MM not the traditional Bournemouth style of play which he quickly abandoned.

Last edited:
go Phil ...

got to de-programme these players who have had the MM process rammed down their necks.
It’s a fair point actually, despite my post above.

He hasn’t got long to make a difference so maybe the sledgehammer to crack that nut IS exactly the way to go (classy or otherwise).

I suppose I prefer evolution to revolution but we don’t have time for that. I certainly won’t be complaining if he achieves what he’s trying to with it!

I always want us to have a likeable manager who is also doing a good job. MM had the likeable bit, but for much of his previous spell here PB managed the doing a good job part, and that’s what we need right now

It’s a fair point actually, despite my post above.

He hasn’t got long to make a difference so maybe the sledgehammer to crack that nut IS exactly the way to go (classy or otherwise).

I certainly won’t be complaining if he achieves what he’s trying to with it!

Agreed, he’s got to put his own stamp on things quickly to make any difference.

I'm not sure we can credit MM with how Bournemouth made the climb to the Prem.

The trouble with M M was he was a stats man. When we were playing at our very worst I remember his comments being according to the stats we were the better team. We were awful and football isn’t played on paper. Too much emphasis on stats and not enough old fashioned up and at em. These are desperate times and something needed to change. If it doesn’t work out with Phil Brown what have we lost nothing. Going down to the NL I really wouldn’t have had any confidence in Mark M to fight his way out it.

Phil brown will always do it he's way even if it's wrong. He knows exactly what is needed to keep us up and send hopefully col u down.

Er.....I think we all know what's needed to keep us up. Yesterday we were probably fortunate to get a point, but a friendlier goalpost could have won it for us. At least our players aren't head butting each other as they leave the pitch like Payne of Grimsby did (appropriately named, by the way).

Breaking news PB agrees with 10,000 posts on Shrimperzone.

I'm sure this comment will grow into another PB myth but how do you think PB has come to this conclusion in one Friday light training session......Ricky D, Fagan, and some senior players must obviously feel that way.

That aside it could be about just a few of 1000 different methods available to a manger. From players rest from the night before, prematch meal or statistically you score more goals in zone A of the penalty area so if you receive to ball in zone B and could shoot first time....Don't, instead have touch and pass it to someone in zone A......I have of course just made that up but its exactly what i have seen this season, so who knows?.

Agree with Andy and Hank. Its not a slagging of MM more the "new way" of coaching that needs to be changed and PB has no time to do it without upsetting a few.

Who on here hasn't said if we go down at least go down fighting......The fight starts on the training ground and you need to live and breath it all week. The players have to cross the white line with desire, confidence and a believe that they will win.....Win as a team and take that hidden energy from within a positive group.....Not hoping their pass completion rate will be 90%.

Phil brown like the jose mourinho of league 2...... you either love him or hate him.

When I first read that he had said that - I felt angry. Because I feel a sense of loyalty to MM. For various reasons. It’s been a really tough year with COVID and for our football team. So the sense of loyalty is there because I had no choice but to back a decent guy.

But then I realised I was annoyed because it felt like a personal attack. I had put faith into MM and I still think we could’ve stayed up with him. We will never know.

Because I had put so much faith into MM and the way we were approaching it was what made me angry. HE’S HAVING A GO AT MY MATE AND ME THERE.

But maybe PB is right. It’s two different mentalities at the end of the day (Yawn). A guy who backed us to defend and win at the death. A guy that backs us to be on the front foot.

Martin out.

Whether the training were good or bad the ego of "if i don't understand no one else will" shows the type of person Phil is. If you can stop us being relegated great but remember his reign was the reason we are in this mess

PB was one the best Managers we have had - look at his record and achievements! The reason we are in this mess is because of Ron and his subsequent appointments.

We are very lucky to have PB back albeit this should have been done a couple of months ago.

it is not rocket science
- if you are seriously lacking in an area - you do something to improve.

I am not PB biggest supporter and personally don’t like the bloke and the way he conducts himself but, let’s not forget how he fell from grace when he was here previously but, I do think we should allow the guy to do or say what he has to do to enable us to get out of the mess and also there has only ever been one person in the centre of all of this

PB was one the best Managers we have had - look at his record and achievements! The reason we are in this mess is because of Ron and his subsequent appointments.

We are very lucky to have PB back albeit this should have been done a couple of months ago.

his record managing other people players is not great and need the players which subscribe to his way of working. This is my biggest issue with Phil as it’s completely different approach to Mark, whether his style was right or wrong,you need a consistent psychology running through the club from top to bottom, want to change a manager, fair dos, but that got to work with the structure of the club and we have decided to go chalk and cheese with this one.

Would love us to stay up but I personally believe, maybe incorrectly, we now have less chance than we would have done. And I don’t subscribe to the immediate bounce from a change, unless the manager has lost the dressing room which does not appear to be the case unlike what happened to Phill last time.

I would rather have had Chris Powell back for 6 games, put Mark and team on sabbatical and told to come back in June.

whether Phil will be here if we go down or not is the second concern, then we will spend 2 months rehiring a manager,have no squad and then when we do get them no pre season training and probably no forwards...

we all have different opinions and that ok, I will openly state that Phil brown should be no where near the club, I dislike as a person and a manager and others think he is fantastic and if gets out of this messy fantastic and we can look forward to 3 more years of Phil but I will be just as critical as I have with how Ron runs the club about him.

May when the players win he will allow them to eat pizza, fish & chips and various other take aways he did on the bus home.

MM did things differently ergo his methods were wrong. Bordering on a formal fallacy with the premise accepted as true but the conclusion is false. His methods, whether or not so different, got us to be a tight unit that has fallen short of a few points to get to safety. The shortfall is likely down to personnel and/or selection. Nothing to do with training. I said weeks ago on here that his side reminds me very much of a PB team, tight but lacking goals. Training methods may differ but the result is the same.

Football success is about three things: ability, perspiration and belief. It's anyone's guess which one we lack but for me it's belief. We have seen some good moments from our players and at this level their ability and effort is a match for a lot of the opposing sides. The belief however is questionable and no player needs belief more than a striker.

Back when PB was here previously I must have asked for a forward coach to be employed a hundred times because it was clearly something Brown lacked. His club management record is a testimony to that. Is MM any different? I don't know but he constantly tinkered with the frontline, prevented any striker partnership from forming and crushed the forwards belief by selecting mids and defenders to play instead of them.

If things are to change it won't be by continually doing the same thing and expecting a different result. If we employ a sports psychologist then sack him/her. They clearly are not up to it. What goes on between the ears is a vital ingredient. Coaches and managers are guilty of mathematical fallacies. Check the stats we were the better team. Players and fans often transpose logic with magical thinking: putting the right boot on first, sporting a promotion season scarf or wearing the same cack crusted undercrackers for each game in a winning streak. Relying on some supernatural agent to bring about success is very flawed indeed. Players need to believe in their own ability and the role they are asked to undertake. Much of that belief comes from conditioning but also from the manager. It's there we have fallen short for a very long time.

Back