• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Interesting ??

duncan bulgaria

Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Woman
Just been fotball training with my Sat side and our Prolific Centre foward who scored 54 goals last season was telling us that Southend phoned him up to play for them agaist GWR the other week .

Now don't get me wrong I rate my pal as a good player and at our level he is obviously a good player , but just womdering what the thoughts are regarding the fact that we are tapping up players from such a low standard .

Is it a good thing that we are looking at players that are local and taking such a avid interest or does it smell a bit of desperation that we should be phoning a player up 4 hrs before a pre season game and that we have not got any better players to be looking at .

Incidently he couldn't play as was such short notice and has not heard since but he would of looked better in training than Camano i'll give you a clue and would of probably roasted him a few times .

I'm Sorry, but what kind of idiot doesn't make time to play for a professional football club in a pre-season friendly?

I'm Sorry, but what kind of idiot doesn't make time to play for a professional football club in a pre-season friendly?

The kind of idiot that was at work at the time when he was phoned up , you know the kind of work that pays your bills and makes sure that your kids have food and clothes on their backs .

Maybe if the club had phoned him 4 days before then i'll think you'll find that he would have possibly made time to play Professional football in a pre season friendly ???

Last edited:
What a donut. Could of made the leap from playing as a hobby to playing for a living.

Don't see a problem with it from our point of view. If anything I think its a good thing that we are aware of players scoring a high quantity of goals in the local leagues. The lad obviously deserves some recognition and if we are playing our kitman in the pre-seasons then I can't see a problem in giving a local lad a chance aswell

This happened to someone I know a few years ago when Little was in charge. He'd always been a good footballer & been on the books for at least one decent level local non-league team I believe, his Sunday team had played against SUFC in a game at Boots & Laces & IIRC correctly he'd scored.

The Mighty Shrimps were short of a full squad (no surprise there!!) for the 1st friendly at Witham Town & Little asked my mate to bring his boots along as he might get a game. As it happened he wasn't needed but he did take his stuff with him.

Don't forget Paul Benson was playing for White Ensign in the Essex Intermediate (I think) when we trialled him in our reserves & then Daggers offered him a contract in the following close season.

Sometimes in life you have to take a chance.

He should have gone for it!!!

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest. There are plenty of good players that play Saturday/Sunday football that could go on to play football at a decent standard, there is one guy in my team that I reckon could get himself a Blue Square side.

At the end of the day, he could have played and been good enough and we would all have been praising Tilly and co for taking a chance.

I played uni football with a lad who had got a pro contract at Hull. he'd then given up footy and gone to uni and wasn't playing anything more than uni football on a wednesday and intra-mural league on a sunday. he scored a hattrick (from centre mid) at the Walker Stadium in the varsity match against De Montford Uni, and a couple of scouts from leicester got in touch with him... however he turned down a trial and now he isn't even playing saturdays or sundays, and is working as a solicitor!!!

mental!

I played uni football with a lad who had got a pro contract at Hull. he'd then given up footy and gone to uni and wasn't playing anything more than uni football on a wednesday and intra-mural league on a sunday. he scored a hattrick (from centre mid) at the Walker Stadium in the varsity match against De Montford Uni, and a couple of scouts from leicester got in touch with him... however he turned down a trial and now he isn't even playing saturdays or sundays, and is working as a solicitor!!!

mental!

In all fairness, some people don't have the mentality to cope with the rigorous training regimes and give up on football at an early age. I gave up on Football after 2 fairly awful managers which was a massive mistake on my part.

In an FA Document I read, that's the one thing the FA are attempting to stop, the masses of footballers who give up on the game at an early age. Spanish rates are half that of England's and it shows in the level of young talent the country produces.

In all fairness, some people don't have the mentality to cope with the rigorous training regimes and give up on football at an early age. I gave up on Football after 2 fairly awful managers which was a massive mistake on my part.

In an FA Document I read, that's the one thing the FA are attempting to stop, the masses of footballers who give up on the game at an early age. Spanish rates are half that of England's and it shows in the level of young talent the country produces.

yup, plus it was Hull and Leicester!

mental!

No offense, but what a ****

There are a number of such instances, a Southend related one is Paul Benson. A late starter in terms of professional football, and he's carved a decent career for himself at Dagenham.

Back