• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

International eligbility

Shouldnt be a decision to be made, you play for the country of your nationality. The only exception is for parentage, not grandparentage.

He still will be English, born in England to English parents you are English. Fact. End Of.:smile:

You cant just change what nationality you are no matter how you feel. Even if he moved there when he was two and never learnt to speak English he would still be English. Even if he felt affiliated to France he still wouldn't be French so shouldn't be allowed to play for them.

Yes it would mean the likes of Sterling wouldnt play for us, but I personally would rather have a weaker team that was strong in National identity.

As soon as players can choose what team they play for just because they lived there a long time then the whole point of National sport becomes pointless.

England for the English.

Off to vote UKIP.

He's got a Japanese passport, doesn't that make him a Japanese national?

One in ten of the British Army are born overseas. Pretty ridiculous that you could go to war for a country but not be qualified to play sport for them.

He's got a Japanese passport, doesn't that make him a Japanese national?

One in ten of the British Army are born overseas. Pretty ridiculous that you could go to war for a country but not be qualified to play sport for them.

A piece of paper doesnt change your nationality. If you are not born in the country or have parents from that country you arent that nationality, passport or not. Like I said, if my son moves abroad tomorrow and never comes back nothing will change the fact he is English. (or that Im a bad parent for allowing an 8 year old to emigrate)

Being in the British Army and serving this country should give them plenty of benefits and entitlements, more than they get now Im sure, but on a sporting level they are still Nepalese or whatever nationality they are so should represent their country at sport.

National sports should be for people born to that country, and at the very least with parents of that Nationality.

Even old Farage wouldn't agree with those rules. Say you moved to Australia when you were 2, are you really try to say you have to come back to England for youth tem trials, matches etc........Ridiculous

If you want to play international sports, yes.

But if he's never known anything else, and by law is allowed a French passport, how can you deny a person that right?

Because he still isn't French. Serves him right for moving to France and turning his back on Blighty :smile:

A piece of paper doesnt change your nationality. If you are not born in the country or have parents from that country you arent that nationality, passport or not. Like I said, if my son moves abroad tomorrow and never comes back nothing will change the fact he is English. (or that Im a bad parent for allowing an 8 year old to emigrate)

Being in the British Army and serving this country should give them plenty of benefits and entitlements, more than they get now Im sure, but on a sporting level they are still Nepalese or whatever nationality they are so should represent their country at sport.

National sports should be for people born to that country, and at the very least with parents of that Nationality.

If you want to play international sports, yes.

Because he still isn't French. Serves him right for moving to France and turning his back on Blighty :smile:

Stop being silly....It doesn't suite you

Look at how many non-Germans!! play or played for Germany?? they also produce lots of young talent here,but also have players like Cacau(think that was his name),Brazilian,played in Germany ,i think 3 years,then played for Germany..also now the same is with the Bayern defender,forgot his name,Brazil wants him to play for them,he is Brazilian,but turned them down,waitng a while longer so he can play for Germany.

Stop being silly....It doesn't suite you

A system where an Englishman can play for another country because they lived there is what is 'silly'. You dont change nationality by moving somewhere else, whatever passport or piece of paper you get.

National sport is for people to play for their national side. The only exception should be parentage.

Whilst I think adults suddenly becoming a different nationality for sport is a bit silly I don't think it's fair to just restrict it to the country you were born in. If I'd moved to France when I was 5 why would I feel English if it isn't even my first language? If a kid has been raised in another countryand essentially raised by it then he is going to have far more in common culturally with his adopted country rather than his birth one and so he should be eligable to represent that country.

A system where an Englishman can play for another country because they lived there is what is 'silly'. You dont change nationality by moving somewhere else, whatever passport or piece of paper you get.

National sport is for people to play for their national side. The only exception should be parentage.

So how do you deal with people that have kids whilst on holiday?

Back