• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Westcliff Shrimper

Director of Footballs⭐
Can any of our stattos help me with this?

Jason Demetriou has once again been called up by Cyprus, and if he plays in both games that will be 4 caps since he joined us in the summer.

Does anyone know the record of caps won at international level by any player whilst also playing for us? For instance Ronnie Whelan won 53 caps for the Republic of Ireland but only 1 or 2 whilst with us. Would imagine it would be Sammy McCrory, but could someone confirm?

How many caps for Derek Spence @ Northern Ireland while with us?

McCrory definitely played for Northern Ireland against England at Wembley .I believe that was his only cap.

How many caps for Derek Spence @ Northern Ireland while with us?

Three.

25-03-1981 Scotland.... A D 1-1 WCQ sub
03-06-1981 Sweden...... A L 0-1 WCQ sub
24-03-1982 France...... A L 0-4 FR. sub
I went to the 1-1 draw between Scotland & Northern Ireland at Hampden Park with my good friend Russ Ralph who sadly is no longer with us. I believe it was the first time in 24 years since Sam McCrory scored for Northern Ireland against England that a then current Southend United player had played International Football in the U.K. Derek came on as a substitute for the last 15 minutes replacing the Irish goalscorer Billy Hamilton. Later in that week Derek gave me his match worn No.16 shirt, something I still treasure to this day. Apart from the three matches listed above while he was at Southend Derek also played against Israel in Tel Aviv and he went on the Irish tour of Australia in the summer of 1980, he was in fact in the squad right up to the 1982 World Cup in Spain but was then left out of the final squad being replaced by some unknown 16 year old called Norman Whiteside(whatever happened to him)by the then manager Billy Bingham. Derek was heartbroken, a chance to play in the World Cup a once in a lifetime chance taken away. :sad: Derek Spence was not only a great character but also a "Top Top Guy." :Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

Back