• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Internet passwords, Do you change them?

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
I've just been reminded by a couple of organisations that I belong to on-line to change my password regularly and have a different p/w for each site I log into. I currently have 2 passwords that I use and rotate, any more and I would just forget them. So, what do you do, change? same one always? and have you been compromised through not changing?

I use LastPass for everything apart from online banking, it allows me to have a different secure password for each site you use and it's free as well. I then make it more secure by using two-factor authentication (also referred to as 2FA) for stuff like social media, Google etc.

Most industry experts now take the stance that changing your password unless it's clear it's been stolen is largely pointless. All it does is make it more likely that you'll forget your password which encourages people to write it down somewhere or to go with something easy to remember (and hence more guessable).

Using a different password for each website is more important though since if a hacker steals the password from one website then he's going to use the email and password combination on every other major site to see if you've used the same login details elsewhere. It's especially important to have a different password for your email since most 'I forgot my password' links send a new password directly to your email, so if a hacker gets access to your email then he can just reset the password of all your accounts.

Yep Last Pass here. They're upwards of 16 characters, contain symbols, numbers and both upper and lower case letters. There is no way I could remember them.

I like how most modern websites don’t let you accidentally type your password. So on here for instance if you post your password it’s edited:

I like how most modern websites don’t let you accidentally type your password. So on here for instance if you post your password it’s edited:

ILuvScottForbes26

As said by Southendkid, it is fairly pointless changing them. On the coach website, all my access passwords are really long (above 30 characters), have loads of varied characters and stuff in them but that's my ocd doing overdrive.
Most company iT departments force a password change once monthly, but as long as you are smart, they can be quite hard to crack.

Software used to decode passwords don't actually decode. All they do is speed up the process of running random guesswork. They commonly look for a capital letter as first digit, numbers at the end and characters like underscores splitting the letters-numbers.

A typical password would be: Fred2019**
This would be easy for the software to work out

Doing this would make it a lot harder: fReD_20#19##54

Just so you know, password software searches hundreds of thousands of combinations. They don't take long to do it either so it's just pure luck if they hit your password. Making sure the websites you visit are secure (green padlock by address bar), use decent AV software on ALL devices and if in any doubt, contact the website/organisation to raise any concerns

As said by Southendkid, it is fairly pointless changing them. On the coach website, all my access passwords are really long (above 30 characters), have loads of varied characters and stuff in them but that's my ocd doing overdrive.
Most company iT departments force a password change once monthly, but as long as you are smart, they can be quite hard to crack.

Software used to decode passwords don't actually decode. All they do is speed up the process of running random guesswork. They commonly look for a capital letter as first digit, numbers at the end and characters like underscores splitting the letters-numbers.

A typical password would be: Fred2019**
This would be easy for the software to work out

Doing this would make it a lot harder: fReD_20#19##54

Just so you know, password software searches hundreds of thousands of combinations. They don't take long to do it either so it's just pure luck if they hit your password. Making sure the websites you visit are secure (green padlock by address bar), use decent AV software on ALL devices and if in any doubt, contact the website/organisation to raise any concerns

Thanks for the advice!?

Back