• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
This week, Nick (SpanishShrimper), from Spain answers the questions. I haven't had the time to check his answers, so hope there is nothing too embarrassing etc. that shouldn't be here.... :unsure:

n22069695413_2408086_8529.jpg

1) How long have you been an exile?
A) Well technically, since I left the Southend area back in 1984. I moved away because of career and family, which meant I worked weekends, as well as the evenings being given to parental duties. I have lived in Spain for almost six years.

2) Why did you leave Essex?
A) I moved to Saffron Walden in Essex originally, because of work, I set up the family home there, it was coincidence that my brother also lived in the same area. I then ended up in Gravesend,Kent, also because of work, and also because of love..the love didn’t hang around, but the work did. In between times, I was all over the South of England for my work, including Gloucester and Northampton.

3) Most memorable trip?
A) most memorable trip? um, West Ham, league cup reply..not only was it my first away game, but we got 'hammered' on the pitch, and I was **** scared in the terraces...West Ham yobs hanging over the fences throwing stuff at us..I don’t remember too much of the game, just trying to avoid missiles. In addition, living near Cambridge, i used to go to watch them a well as saffron walden and a couple of times Ipswich, but I remember going to the Abbey stadium, standing among the home crowd on a Saturday afternoon with some work colleagues, we took an extended lunch break, and watching us play them. I remember Stanley getting booed every time he got near the ball, Ricey not being able to kick the ball and John Cornwalls thunderblast equaliser. I nearly got my head kicked in, as I was the only Southend supporter in the home end, but It was worthwhile.

4) Whilst SUFC fans prepare their usual Saturday home routines of pub, Fish House, match, what is your Saturday routine when the Blues are playing?
A) Take dog for a walk...have dinner with the Mrs, then while she's snoring on the sofa, I’m sitting by the PC watching bbc and into the chat room .then normally I'm late for work.

5) Living in Spain, do you follow La Liga? And if so, which club(s) would you keep an eye out for?
A) when I first moved here, I used to watch some games, and was appalled how boring the football is, we moan at the players falling over for the slightest thing..its worse than bullfighting here. I guess I always looked out for the local teams Real Murcia, Murcia FC, Elche, Hercules, Levante, but, I cant get the passion for any Spanish team. There was a big thing about Torrevieja FC in the past few years because of the large expat following, but I never got involved...and especially when it all came out how corrupt most of the owners are/were.

6) Favourite current and past player, and why?
A) I have not seen any current players first hand, so it would be wrong of me to say, but I like the sound of Laurent.
past..it can only be Stan Collymore...the excitement and power he had, everytime he got the ball on the halfway line and ran to the goal, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and I thought he would bust the net when he scored....brilliant. Andy Ansah, Ronnie Whelan, Richard Cadette, Colin Morris are all players I liked from the past

7) Should Barry Fry have beaten George W. Bush in the 1st round of the battle of the tools? And who is your tip for the ultimate tool in the competition?
A) Can’t answer...haven’t really read the thread as I don’t know who most people on there are. as much as i hated Barry Fry then, I still admire him and I guess its just the 'what if' factor...we could have had a season at least in the Premiership. In hindsight, he probably did us a favour in the long term, and I fear we could have gone the way of Wimbledon. I know he had 'issues' behind the scene with the board.

8) Favourite SUFC kit of all time?
A) United artists blue.

9) Have you converted many people where you are situated to the Blues' cause?
A) Only ex girlfriends, although that wasn’t converted, just they had to come!! and a Brazilian lad that lives in London..my new guitarist!

10) Hardest part of being exiled for you?
A) Apart from family, friends, music, food and SUFC...nothing.

11) Special and memorable characters / rogues from your travels that deserve a mention?
A) Roy Macdonagh. the reason for moving to Spain was to have my own business, it was a shop. One day I was wearing m SUFC polo shirt, and some bloke goes..'Southend..why you wearing that?'..after a chat, it turns out it was Roy Macdonagh himself, minus 80's perm and moustach..anyway, the 'rough' bit is something else I can’t print in this interview..

12) Least memorable trip as an exile?
A) I haven’t made the trip from Spain.....but any trip I made where we lost or we didn’t play well, always was a downer.

13) Where is the weirdest place you may have bumped into a fellow Shrimper abroad?
A) see 11...also, whilst I was in Alicante harbour, one cold Sunday morning, meeting a 'prospective' drummer, sitting on the table next to us was some guy wearing a SUFC shirt...it was at the start of last season around October time.. we chatted and parted....

14) You are well documented on SZ as being a musician. What do you play, for how long, and what are your influences?
A) I began playing bass when I was 17, the band was formed standing on the old southbank terrace one cold night at a particularly boring game, we were chatting about bands, and my friend andy could play guitar, I said I'd play bass, as it was only 4strings, therefore easier to play (in theory), that left the drums...and amazingly enough, the other lad said he would buy some(mug, we thought?)..Anyway, we originally called ourselves the SUFoCators (SUFC, gettit), but that got changed to Sandy and the Wheelchairs (crossrods fame) and then Allegiance To No-One.
Influences...musically..well, we play punk of all types...but lyrically, if I could emulate Joe Strummer, Jello Biafra and Adam Lee (China Drum), I'd be happy. Lyrically, I just write about what’s around me, love, life, politics...normal stuff really.
My brother was from the rock and roll era and my sister was from the late 60s early 70's, so influences are from everywhere.

15) Season expectations?
A) at the start of the season, I thought lower mid table, mainly because of size and quality of the squad after we lost a few key players. loanees have helped, and a lot depends if we can sign some permanently or get equivalent replacements. I still think mid table, but maybe 8th or 9th.

16) If you were in Tilly's shoes for a day, is there anything you would do differently?
A) Well, you know, as I said. No, I'm not trained in football management. Maybe send all 91 other clubs a fax of my arse...I dont know...A day is difficult, give me a month, then I'll think about it.

17) Favourite club captain in your time supporting the club?
A) Barrett has to be up there&Alan Moody. Captains should be seen and not heard, but maybe we had a few who didnt do enough in the past to push the team.

18) Away kit: Reds or Yellows?
A) I dont like any of the current kits, but if I had to chose from those options, yellow.

19) When you do happen to get back to Essex from time to time, besides football, what do you look forward to the most?
A) My pilgrimage used to be...Fives in Leigh Broadway, Go see my old schools, Wst Leigh and Belfairs, just to see if they are still standing. go to Old Leigh to the Cockle sheds, drive along the seafront, stop for a ROSSI's Ice Cream, then onto Southchurch road to look in Monkey business music shop, then after a Wimpey, off to the match. Is any of that still there?

20) If we could sign any player in January (Within reason!) who would you open Uncle Ron’s cheque book for?
A) I dont know any names, but more defensive coverage, one more midfielder and a good winger.

21) South, East or West stand?
A) North.....but then it was south (open)..west for a while, now back to south seated. never been in the East. never appealed to me. would like to see the North bank terrace back for home crowds....stick away crowds on north west corner.

22) Would you prefer Peter Clarke to sign a new contract, or see him replaced by a new defender by Tilly?
A) both..get some competition...especially if we have ambitions for promotion.

23) Where were you when Freddy put the ball in the Man U net?
A) Working on some new music material in front of the TV whilst listening to some influences. The 1996 hit album ‘Spice’ by my favourite Spice Girls I remember had me writing lyrics for the entire first half. During half time, I moved on to listen to failed Irish pop act ‘B*witched’, and was humming their rather catchy ‘C’est la Vie’ right up until the famous final whistle. Thankfully, this inspirational music and result pretty much meant I had my new album written in just one night: Fantastic. I hear Leona Lewis’ stuff may be equally as motivating in the lyrics department, and I very much hope her debut album is under the tree this Christmas.

B00000I15E.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

24) You’re soon going to be making the move back to Essex – is there anything you will miss from being an exile?
A) only the sunshine and warmth....there are as many bad things here as there are anywhere, as well as good things....like Richie Foran. Player of the year IMO.

25) Totty cup 2008 prediction?
A) My mrs.....not interested as these girls aren’t 'real'..it’s about personality boys, not the tits. Except in Jo Brand's case...but that's a given.

Big thanks to Nick for taking the time to answer the above.

Next week, Tom (A Century United) goes under the spotlight.

Last edited:
Good effort Ant, keep up the good work :)

Chaps - i'm looking at trying to take this thread idea forward. Any ideas? Usually each week the thread only gets between 100 and 150 views...I thought my creative editing would save the day but alas to no avail :(

Chaps - i'm looking at trying to take this thread idea forward. Any ideas? Usually each week the thread only gets between 100 and 150 views...I thought my creative editing would save the day but alas to no avail :(

Need to think of a way of including all posters, maybe do an Exile one week and a non-exile the following week, who ever you interview has to nominate the following weeks candidate??

Just a thought

Think also that with this thread is not a discussion - its more of a look and see so people will only come on here, read what it said, maybe make a comment and then not come back to it coz they do not need to. Unlike other threads which increase debate this one does not.

The idea was, I would ask the person 20 odd questions, and then others would read and perhaps ask some questions of their own. Hasn't really worked out that way so far. I like the idea of the interviewed person choosing the next one...perhaps say for example next week Tom picks Cricko for the following week, then i choose an exile the following week - and they choose a regular SZ member, and so on?

Steve still gets his Christmas Special though :D

The idea was, I would ask the person 20 odd questions, and then others would read and perhaps ask some questions of their own. Hasn't really worked out that way so far. I like the idea of the interviewed person choosing the next one...perhaps say for example next week Tom picks Cricko for the following week, then i choose an exile the following week - and they choose a regular SZ member, and so on?

Steve still gets his Christmas Special though :D

Maybe try it that way for a while then. See what happens!

And yeah for me!! I feel like Kermit in a Muppet Christmas Carol!

KermitMCC.JPG

Ant, might be an idea to do all the owners perhaps? Intermingle them with the exiles.

Back