• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
This week, Rachel (Sufc_girl) from Canada answers the questions. Apologies for the 18's rating on the thread, this was put there merely to make her feel a little more nervous than she no doubt already is :D

Below is Rachel with her new fella...

n285403243_2959364_8530.jpg

1) How long have you been an exile?
A) Well I haven’t lived in Southend for about 16 years as I live in Suffolk. But I’ve been a proper exile for nearly 4 months and will be up until May next year.

2) Why did you leave Essex?
A) I didn’t want to grow up with a reputation... :unsure: I think it was just because my parents got sick of being burgled! (We did live in Basildon...)

3) Most memorable match during your time as a Southend supporter?
A) As my memory is crap I will go with last season Donny away in the play-offs. It was the night before I had a final exam for uni but there was no way I was going to miss it! So took revision with me to do in the car and went. Unforgettable atmosphere (kinda like Southampton away which was awesome as well) I saw Hannah from Hollyoaks too! And I didn’t do too badly on the exam either!

4) Whilst SUFC fans prepare their usual Saturday home routines of pub, Fish House, match, what is your Saturday routine when the Blues are playing?
A) I normally wake up around 10 to 10, rub the sleep from my eyes and turn my laptop on and keep myself updated on the internet whilst still in my pjs and in bed. I’d still rather be standing in the cold watching it though!

5) Where were you when Wayne Gray put the ball in the Bristol City net?
A) I was there going mental with everyone else at Roots Hall. I’ve never experienced anything like that when watching Southend so that was pretty special.

6) Favourite current and past player, and why?
A) Favourite current player... that’s a tough one... I’m gonna go with Macca. If anything just because of the entertainment he provided when he got in a fight with Bailey on the pitch last year! Favourite past player is an easy one though. Darryl Flahavan... oh how I want his babies... I have a feeling if he knew me properly he’d leave his hot blonde wife and kid and come to me (I can dream)

7) Bart or Flavs?
A) I’m not even going to dignify that with an answer.

8) Favourite SUFC kit of all time?
A)Uhhh, again my memory is crap and I can’t think further back than a few years! Do I’m gonna go with the navy blue one! Although can I just point out that I’m glad we don’t have Betterview as a sponsor anymore. Having Betterview plastered across your chest when you’re a girl is just asking for “hilarious” comments from “really funny” guys.

9) Have you converted many people where you are situated to the Blues' cause?
A) No. They call it soccer and so therefore I can’t even talk to them about football as part of my soul dies every time I hear them call it soccer. In terms of the other internationals here from England one is a diehard Derby fan and the other is a Man U fan so no chance there.

10) Hardest part of being exiled for you?
A) Not being able to see games obviously!? Well apart from missing family and friends like mad that is. Oh and proper chocolate and Indian restaurants, Canadians don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to those 2 things.

11) Living where you do at the moment, have you started following any sports such as Ice Hockey, Baseball, American Football etc. ? And if so, which teams do you look out for?
A) I watched my first Ice Hockey game the other week (shameful I know considering I’ve been here like 3 months now!) but it was just the University of Western Ontario team so they were pretty naff and their league doesn’t allow fighting!! They still did obviously but got sin-binned for 2 mins every time. So I follow the Western Mustangs, but plan on going to a London Knights (the local team) game next year as well.

12) Is Boston a place you would ever consider visiting? I hear their Burritos are well worth the trip alone?
A) Boston is a place I quite fancy going to, does anyone fancy joining me? I can’t have a burrito by myself, they’re too big for me. I’d need some help.

13) Being temporarily exiled whilst you continue your studies abroad, would you ever consider becoming permanently exiled away from the Essex region in the future?
A) Well I am exiled from the Essex region as I live in Suffolk (or Norfolk when at uni) I know it’s not that far away from Essex, but still! I don’t think I would move back to Essex though unless I married a Southend player!

14) Matt Harrold has started life in League 2 very well with Wycombe. Should we have kept him? And do you think he’ll ever play in the Premiership?
A) Bless him, he tried his hardest even up against all the abuse he was getting and that’s all I ever expect from a player. It’s just a shame that he couldn’t make it work with us. If he every plays in the Premiership though I will add to Southend Ladies offer!!

15) Season expectations?
A) Hopefully promotion (obviously) but I dunno if my nerves can take the play-offs again! So I will be super optimistic and say automatic promotion! (As I haven’t seen them play since the beginning of the season I can say that with blissful ignorance!)

16) If you were in Tilly's shoes for a day, is there anything you would do differently?
A) Bring back Che Wilson and Darryl Flahavan so I’d have my eye candy back! Or not... I think I would be pretty crap in Tilson’s shoes. 1) They wouldn’t fit, and 2) I would get distracted when trying to give speeches in the dressing room!!

17) Favourite club captain in your time supporting the club?
A) I’m gonna go with Barrett just because I think it’s pretty clear to everyone he is Blue through and through.

18) Away kit: Reds or Yellows?
A) Yellows for sure! Even I remember the days of chanting “Yeeellllloooooowwwwsss!” at matches.

19) You have met one Mr Darryl Flahavan before. What was he like? And of all the players you have met, who took your fancy the most?
A) He was the most perfect man I’ve ever met. He smelled lovely as well. Both him and Che Wilson (my other fancy man although I do like Francis) put up with my Dad’s ineptness with my phone when I was having my photo taken with them. Darryl laughed and said something like “No it’s fine honestly” and Che said pretty much the same thing/ It’s all a bit blurry though unfortunately as I had been drinking at the time... I do remember Che holding me up a bit though. And Darryl just held me... Lovely stuff.

20) If we could sign any player in January (Within reason!) who would you open Uncle Ron’s cheque book for?
A) Uh I’m not really clued up on other players so I will just say a defender as competition and cover for Barrett and Clarke would be ideal. And also my friend Scouse who is a goalkeeper. Not because we need one, but because he could then get me in with the team!

21) South, East or West stand?
A) I had my season ticket in the East for the past few years, but before that we were in the West and now Dad’s in the South so I’ll be sitting with him. I like the South for obvious reasons when Darryl was here though...

22) If all of our current strike force were fit, and Richie Foran returned from his stupid loan at Darlington, what two would you start a match with and why?
A) I’m just going by what I’ve heard about him but I’ll go with Dougie and Barney (sounds like a children’s TV presenting duo!) Foran can come keep me company with his Irish accent ;)

23) If you had to choose a date for Aberdeen Dave back in his yoof before he got married to Senga, and he HAD to go on this date, who would you choose for the young nipper? Vannessa Feltz, Kerry Katona, or the sturdy and reliable Jo Brand? And what kind of a date would you send them on?
A) Hmmm tough one. I’m feeling pretty mean so I will say Kerry Katona and the date would be that he has to accompany her to the filming of one of her Iceland adds, then they go to pick up her medication, then they would go for dinner and KFC then bungee jumping.

24) I am quite reliably informed you once visited Elland Road. How much did you enjoy your trip to the home end of Elland Road back in the day? And did the words “We won” escape your lips?
A) I did and it was the match against Crystal Palace and so I got to see Darryl! And we were in the end where I got the perfect view of him bending over. That was the highlight. I may have said it but I was probably delirious with tiredness as I had to drive because somebody was too scared to drive up there and back.

25) How much medication were you on in relation to the day of reference in question 24?
A) No you mention it I’m sure I did suffer the effects of rohypnol... Or it could have just been a couple of aspirins from having to listen to someone banging on about Leeds the entire journey.

26) Do you think Tilly and Brush will shed a tear when I inform them on my next visit about question 24?
A) I think if they did hear about it they would understand and then come up with a plan to introduce me to all the team (and a couple of old players they’re still close with...) in order to reaffirm my love for the team just in case (for the record though that’s not needed. I am Blue through and through and nothing and no one will change that (interspecies dating does not work...)

And now for the special guest questions from Mr Backpacking Shrimper!

1. Essex girls’ reputations are renowned worldwide. Do you uphold the Essex girl reputation in Canada: especially in the area you live and play?

Well Mr Backpacking Shrimper, I’m sorry to say I don’t uphold the reputation and that it’s not renowned here. In fact I’m probably the opposite of the reputation. For example, on a recent night out I had the whole “Oh my god you have an accent!” conversation with a young man which I get pretty much every time I go out, and then he said “I would totally shag [he said something else but the swear filter won’t allow it] a girl with an English accent just so I could hear her say ‘I think I am about to arrive’” So I laughed in his face and said “Trust me, that’ll never happen” and walked away!

2. Rumour has it that after a drunken night out, you tied down a cardboard cut out of Flavs to your bed and dressed as a pot of gold. Then gave it a Boston steamer. Is this true?

Hmmm I don’t know how that rumour got out....?? The first part is true but the Boston Steamer bit isn’t. I don’t have the required “equipment”

3. It is well documented on SZ that Ricey fancies a friend of yours, and keeps on about her. Is this a cover up for the fact he secretly has a shrine dedicated to you in his humble Alfa Romeo? And on a totally unrelated topic, do you like men in fireman uniforms?

The first part is true, although I don’t know what’s going on with them anymore... I kinda hope the second part isn’t true. Not because it’s Ricey (although that is a factor ;)) but because it’s an Alfa! I’d prefer my shrine to be placed somewhere a bit more classy and upmarket than that! In answer to the totally unrelated topic, my Uncle is a fireman. So if I found it hot it’d be a bit weird in my opinion! Having said that some guys can work the fireman uniform (Ricey included :))

A big thanks to Rachel for taking the time to answer the above questions. She will be the one sipping tequilas and sambuccas at the Spread on Saturday for Huddersfield, so make sure and say hello.

Next week, Libertine out in Australia will be answering the questions.

Very well done both of you and what a lovely photo of Darryl with you Rachel - you lucky, lucky thing!

I didn't understand what half of those questions were on about!

I got lost after q 2.... A little self indulgant this time, maybe?...watch out..or the anti clique brigade will get ya

23) If you had to choose a date for Aberdeen Dave back in his yoof before he got married to Senga, and he HAD to go on this date, who would you choose for the young nipper? Vannessa Feltz, Kerry Katona, or the sturdy and reliable Jo Brand? And what kind of a date would you send them on?

That is a genius question! :D

nope my reading skills are ok, they just seemed to be in reference to cliquey 'in' jokes that I didn't understand

Yet you post in the Live Thread quite alot recently might I add? What is it with you and your digs towards the so called 'clique'?

Excellent interview and I understood all the questions and I sometimes miss out on your late night filth sessions.

Oh and Rachel I will wear my uniform for you if you want ;)

What the hell is going on with Rachel's thread?

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

OFF-TOPIC COMMENTS DELETED

For what it is worth Ant, i thought this was one of the Best Exile interviews so far.

Great work by both of you.

Just Glad Rach did not pick VF for my date.....:puke

Back