• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Irish_Shrimper

Ant from across the Pond
This week, recently exiled Andy (Libertine), out in Australia, answers the questions. Below is a picture of Andy and his kids at Surfers Paradise.

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

1) How long have you been an exile?
A) Since August this year. My last game was Millwall away and I flew out the following Monday.

2) Why did you leave Essex?
A) The opportunity to start a new life in Australia. my wife is a New Zealander but all her immediate family now live in Brisbane. My basic view is if we go and it doesn't work out we just move back. What I don't want is to look back in thirty years time and ask 'What if....?'

3) Most memorable match during your time as a Southend supporter?
A) Winning the League One title by beating Bristol City. My first ever game was in the season after we won the 4th Division title so I'd never seen us win a trophy. To finally see a Southend United captain hold aloft a bona fide piece of silverware will live with me forever.

4) Whilst SUFC fans prepare their usual Saturday home routines of pub, Fish House, match, what is your Saturday routine when the Blues are playing?
A) This is really sad - but I'm usually asleep! 3 o'clock in the afternoon your time is 1 in the morning here and I'm very rarely motivated to get up to follow a game in the chat room or on Blues World at that time. I usually wake up early on the Sunday though and jump straight onto the net to find the score. The day of the Chelsea game will be different though. I'm at a barbeque round a Chelsea fan's house which will go on till the early hours I'm sure so will be watching the game (hopefully) on a dodgy internet feed hoping for an upset so I can wind him up.

5) Where were you when Juppy put the ball in the Lincoln net?
A) In the Spread Eagle watching on TV. My eldest had just been born and so I was at home helping my wife and getting used to the idea of being a Dad. I did slip down the road for the match though to join a number of other fans leaping around the pub in joy.

6) Favourite current and past player, and why?
A) Current - Sir Adam Barrett. He's one of us, a local boy who plays with his heart firmly on his sleeve and never gives less than his all for the Southend United cause. All time - Stanley Collymore. Quite frankly one of the most talented players I've ever seen, let alone in a Southend shirt. Should have been one of the best England strikers ever if his head had been right.

7) Without the benefit of hindsight, when Mildy got injured a while back, would you have put Joyce in goal and given him a chance, or gone looking at Mr Federici and co in the loan market?
A) Trouble is I do have the benefit of hindsight and results with Federici in goal justifies signing him. I'm sure Tilly and Brush had done their homework and knew how good Fed was. We don't often have the chance to sign an international to play for Southend so they were right to take the opportunity when it was there. Speaking to Socceroo fans over here they really rate him highly and expect him to take over as their number one and play for them for a very long time.

8) Favourite SUFC kit of all time?
A) The blue Hi-Tec sponsored kit made by Spall from the Webby promotion days. The definitive kit in my opinion.

9) Have you converted many people where you are situated to the Blues' cause?
A) Not had the opportunity yet. To be honest nearly all football fans over here have their 'English' team already so instead there's a lot of banter between fans of all levels over the results. If the opportunity arises though I will do my best to extend the SUFC Asutralian supporters club.

10) Hardest part of being exiled for you?
A) Missing the people. I still get to watch football live and on TV and via the net (with the magnificent SZ) I'm kept up to date with all the latest at Roots Hall. However you can't beat those pre and post match pints with your mates having a chat about Southend United.

11) You are only recently exiled, are you still glad you made the move away?
A) At the moment it's 10-30 on a Sunday morning and the sky is a deep blue with bright sunshine. It's getting up to the mid thirties in temperature and will be that all day. I have the option of driving an hour to the north to take the kids to the Sunshine Coast or an hour south to the Gold Coast. Either way the beaches will be sandy and the surf inviting. So at the moment I'm quite happy with my lot - life is pretty good so I can't complain.

12) Yorkshire Blue has established the SZ Hall of Fame. Who in your opinion deserves a spot and why?
A) David Webb. Took us from the 4th to the 2nd Division and briefly gave us a belief we could go all the way into the top flight. They were formative years for me supporting Southend and were truly halcyon days. Along with Tilly he's the best manager I've seen in my years supporting the club.

13) Sign Dan Harding, or time to give Herd a chance at LB?
A) Haven't really sign either play so hard to comment. I like the idea of giving youth it's chance but believe you have to pick the strongest team for the present. Tilly will make the right decision I'm sure.

14) What is the standard of Aussie football like, and what are the things you like about your newly adopted team out there?
A) The standard of the A-League is about on a par with League One. There are some excellent players here (we have Craig Moore - ex Newcastle and Rangers defender) and some blooming ordinary donkeys. The pace is a bit slower and the game a bit more technical as a result and that's probably the result of playing through the Aussie summer. I think a game between the Roar and the Shrimpers would be a closely matched one. Maybe we can persuade Uncle Ron Martin to send the boys over for a friendly next July? As for things I like? The stadium - it is really magnificent and would grace any league in the world. I love Roots Hall with all my heart but it has made a change to be going to a modern state of the art ground with fantastic facilities. Oh, and you get to sit in shorts and t-shirt drinking cold beer whilst watching the match - what's not to like about that?

15) Season expectations?
A) Would love to sneak into the playoffs but realistically mid table is more likely.

16) If you were in Tilly's shoes for a day, is there anything you would do differently?
A) Nothing really. With the budget and restrictions he has I think Tilly does a magnificent job and I certainly couldn't improve things. Maybe take some media training to improve the after match interviews.

17) Favourite club captain in your time supporting the club?
A) Paul Clarke from my very early days watching us. He looked like a viking, struck fear into the hearts of the opposition and was my hero, I even pretended to be him when playing football on the school playground.

18) Away kit: Reds or Yellows?
A) YEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Does that answer your question.

19) Are you a teeny tiny bit gutted to be missing out on Chelsea? How do you think this match will affect the rest of our season?
A) No - I'm very gutted! My first bout of homesickness came when I'd heard the draw and I was like a bear with a sore head for a few days after. I think and hope it will have a positive effect on our season - ever the optimist that I am.

20) If we could sign any player in January (Within reason!) who would you open Uncle Ron’s cheque book for?
A) Charlie Miller from Queensland Roar. Ex Rangers player who was once young player of the year in Scotland. When Beckham scored his wonder goal from the halfway line against Wimbledon he did it wearing boots with Charlie Miller'
s name sown in, that's how big a prospect he was back then. His career didn't quite live up to early expectations but he's made a fresh start over here in the A-League and has been magnificent. He is a creative midfielder who also scores goals, he dictates the whole play from midfield and is so comfortable on the ball and passes simply but effectively. The Roar fans sing 'We all dream of a team of Charlie Millers' and I think Southend fans would take him equally to their hearts. If you want a scouting report Tilly, let me know.....

21) South, East or West stand?
A) South Upper every time. best view of the pitch in the whole ground and when the game's rubbish we can just past the time taking the **** out of Skoda Man!

22) If, back in the day pre-Mrs Libertine, Jennifer Aniston AND Angelina Jolie asked you upstairs for a bit of you know what, but the only condition was that their good attractive thong wearing friend Jo Brand had to join in the frolics, would it be a deal buster?
A) Back in the day pre-Mrs Libertine I probably would have been so ****ed by that point in the evening the beer goggles would have been sufficient not to even have to give it a moment's thought.

23) If SZ fielded an over 30's 5 a side team against those naughty boys over at SoL, who would you field and why? Would you be confident Cricko could find his scoring touch from 1921 that made him so famous in the local press?
A) Big Chris (Beer Monster), Ken (Mcnasty), Graham (Skoda Man), Pete (Hooly) and to give a bit of (comparitive) youthful energy, GNH. The South Upper crew would do the business I'm sure! Cricko could come off the bench to try and rediscover his scoring touch and relive former glories.

24) If you had to pick a travel companion for Aberdeen Dave's next 200 hour bus journey down from Scotland to Essex, who would you choose? Vanessa Feltz, Rab C. Nesbitt, or Paul O' Grady?
A) I'm sure he has plenty of Rab C lookalikes on a bus from Aberdeen down south anyway. Vanessa would take up too much space if you were squashed in beside her on a long journey so I'd go for Paul O'Grady as the lesser of the evils.

Big thanks to Andy for taking the time out to answer the above. Next week, Pubey up Sheffield way will be talking to us.

Last edited:
Great read guys.....good work yet again Ant.

I thank you for picking Paul O'Grady, would be more interesting that Fat B Nesbitt and Devil's spawn, fat, self deluded, self centred nauseating Feltz

Very good indeed. I can just feel that sun beating down from here... :(

What's the cost of living like over there compared to here, and are you going to be as affected by the recession?

Very good indeed. I can just feel that sun beating down from here... :(

What's the cost of living like over there compared to here, and are you going to be as affected by the recession?

Cost of living seems to be lower here. We are surviving fairly comfortably on just one salary which with a mortgage and two kids is pretty impossible in England. Now that may be because you don't feel the need to spend money to enjoy yourself - with the weather you can just drive to the beach or go to the local park and have a great time. That certainly makes a difference. At home the pressure of the daily grind and rubbish weather means you crave a holiday (and the expense that goes with it) on a regular basis to cope with the stress. Here I just enjoy beautiful sunny weekends and am refreshed to face the working week.

The recession is certainly having an affect here but the Oz economy was in quite good shape before hand so hopefully it won't hit as hard as it is back home. They had a budget surplus as opposed to a budget defecit in the UK so are starting 'in the black' so to speak. As a result they have money to spend to stimulate the economy without plunging the country deeper into debt - they may dip slightly into the red as a result but not to the levels of the UK and US economies.

If the price of flying from Oz dropped to those crazy Ryan Air and EasyJet prices would you fly back to watch the mighty blues? remember the travellin gtime and the no frills.

Cost of living seems to be lower here. We are surviving fairly comfortably on just one salary which with a mortgage and two kids is pretty impossible in England. Now that may be because you don't feel the need to spend money to enjoy yourself - with the weather you can just drive to the beach or go to the local park and have a great time. That certainly makes a difference. At home the pressure of the daily grind and rubbish weather means you crave a holiday (and the expense that goes with it) on a regular basis to cope with the stress. Here I just enjoy beautiful sunny weekends and am refreshed to face the working week.

The recession is certainly having an affect here but the Oz economy was in quite good shape before hand so hopefully it won't hit as hard as it is back home. They had a budget surplus as opposed to a budget defecit in the UK so are starting 'in the black' so to speak. As a result they have money to spend to stimulate the economy without plunging the country deeper into debt - they may dip slightly into the red as a result but not to the levels of the UK and US economies.

I love Scotland, but if I was given the opportunity to emigrate, I would be on the next plane...

Australia5.gif

Please note the SZ shirt I'm wearing in the picture above - available from the SZ shop (link above).

Many of you may have missed it as I'm sure the beautiful surf behind me and cool, nonchalant pose by my little girl beside me means you don't notice my ugly mug in the picture at all. However I know that Cricko, Mcnasty and co would appreciate a plug!

Good work again guys and look what has just landed in my inbox!! the xmas special. well i will have to spend a few hours goign through this!!

Dont forget to pay special attenion to the exile questions relating to aberdeen dave now will you,im so excited will it be who would you pick to wash supers daves back in the bath or could ant go with if super big dave had a tandem who would fill the other seat.
Good work as always Anthony,great name by the way,not many of us anthonys go the ant route so fair play to you.

Last edited:
Back