• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Interview with an Opposition Fan

razza699

Hello All,

I am a member of the official Oldham message board - www.owtb.co.uk. As part of a collaboration with ourselves and the official website, we do a regular feature entitled "Interview with an Opposition Fan". Would any of you be willing to take the time and answer the following questions below?

1. Steve Tilson is in his 7th season as manager of Southend. What are your opinions of him and what is his general style of play?
2. Have you made any signings to your squad this season so far? If so, how have they been so far?
3. Last season, you finished 8th in League One. How do you think you will do in League One this season?
4. Are there any teams in particular you are looking forward to playing?
5. What tactics are you likely to employ and have played with this season?
6. Southend currently have 11 points and go into Saturday’s fixture in 8th place. What are Southend’s strengths and weakness both on and off the pitch?
7. Who is Southend’s key player who we should look out for ahead of Saturday’s fixture and for the rest of the season?
8. Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?
9. How do you think Oldham will do this season?
10 And finally, what score do you think the game will be on Saturday?

Thanks in antipication!

Regards
Ryan
OWTB

Im sure someone will, I will have a go but you have to post up your answers to the same questions but focused on Oldham and not Southend first.

1. Steve Tilson is in his 7th season as manager of Southend. What are your opinions of him and what is his general style of play?
I think he is actually a really good manager, especially considering the resources that he has and the money he has been given to work with. The players seem to like him and respect him which I think is very important.

2. Have you made any signings to your squad this season so far? If so, how have they been so far?
A couple of Loans last week. Roy and Friend.

3. Last season, you finished 8th in League One. How do you think you will do in League One this season?
I honestly believe that we will be fighting in the playoffs this year

We have already played Leeds which I was really looking forward to and god a good draw, but should won the game. I am also looking forward to our home match against COL.U on boxing day and away at Southampton on the last game of the season.

Mildy passes to Moussa who passes to Barney who scores.

6. Southend currently have 11 points and go into Saturday’s fixture in 8th place. What are Southend’s strengths and weakness both on and off the pitch?
The tightness of the team is a strength and the manager helps to this. I think a weakness we have is that we struggle to finish games off, we draw a lot but hopefully that is changing.

7. Who is Southend’s key player who we should look out for ahead of Saturday’s fixture and for the rest of the season?
Barney as he is getting the goals but I think Barratt is Key for a good Southend performance.

8. Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises? Charlton.

Mid table, havent really payed much intrest into you guys yet.

2-1 Southend

Hi Ryan, welcome to Southend United's largest, busiest fans' web-site. On behalf of the bosses of the Zone I think you should get a good response to your questions and if you had posted a day or so later you might be our one millionth poster -- the prize is you get to sleep with my tea-boy Cricko.

Hi Ryan, welcome to Southend United's largest, busiest fans' web-site. On behalf of the bosses of the Zone I think you should get a good response to your questions and if you had posted a day or so later you might be our one millionth poster -- the prize is you get to sleep with my tea-boy Cricko.

What's the second prize?.............don't know whether I'm too keen on the first one.

Yet another opposition manager, asking loads of questions, as he couldn't be bothered to drive down to the Hall for one of our Friday night matches

Tilly is a Southend legend. He was essentially a "one-club" man as a player, having been plucked out of non-league obscurity by Dave Webb and becoming one of our most solid and consistent performers on the left of midfield during his career. He is 18th in the club's all-time appearances list, with over 220 appearances for the Blues.

Scandalously let go too early in one of the final acts of Ronnie Whelan's disastrous tenure, Tilly spent the rest of his playing career at Canvey Island, when he could easily have played in the league. Having given his all for SUFC as a player, Tilly then came back to the club - first as youth team coach and then as manager in 2004.

Since then, Tilson has overseen one of the most enduring periods of success at the club - back-to-back promotions, the League One title, two LDV Cup finals, knocking out Man U from the League Cup, taking Spurs to extra-time at WHL in the League Cup, drawing with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup. All this has been done on a shoestring budget, while the club has continued to grapple with debts accrued during the disastrous years under Whelan and Alvin Martin. Tilly is now the 5th-longest serving manager in the football league.

Although our club chairman and deputy-chairman talked a good game in the pre-season, we didn't actually make any permanent signings. Instead, we lost our player of the season - centre-half, Peter Clarke; we lost two key long-term loan players from the previous campaign, whom we'd hoped to sign - Theo Robinson and Dorian Dervitte; and appeared to be stuttering into the new campaign with a paper-thin squad and little optimism.

As usual, Tilly has conjured some silk purses not so much out of sows' ears, but frankly out of thin air. We have re-signed Lee Sawyer on a six-month loan from Chelsea, having had him on loan last season. Big things are expected of him. We have signed Jean-Yves Mvoto from Sunderland on a six-month loan - he's a beast of a defender, and early signs look encouraging. Another loanee from Wearside is Roy O'Donovan - an Irish striker Tilson has long coveted, and who has joined us for a month, initially. Roy scored one and set one up on his debut, and is a player whetting our appetites for more exploits to come. We've also signed left-back George Friend from Wolves.

My gut instinct is that we'll just miss out on the playoffs again. We'll finish 7th, this time round.

Colchester United - it's always a joy to get one over our bumpkin cousins from the north of the county, especially on their patch.

4-4-2, pass and move. We can be a bit narrow sometimes, but we like to play on the deck and are invariably pleasing on the eye.

Off the pitch, our main weakness is our debt, and a large VAT bill hanging over the club's head. Clear that, and we can start thinking of maybe developing a new stadium. We'll see. Our main strength is the personnel we have at the club - especially Tilly & Brush (his assistant), and Ricky Duncan, one of the finest youth-team coaches in football today. We're already beginning to see the fruits of his labours - three former youth teamers in or around the first team (Moussa, Herd, O'Keefe), one may break through this season or next (Calver), two have made big money moves to Liverpool (Ngoo) and Everton (Orengua) and one to Derby (Abalimba).

On the pitch, our chief strength is our midfield - Tilly has a constant selection headache trying to fit in Moussa, McCormack, Grant, JFC, Sawyer, Laurent and Scannell into the midfield. Our chief weakness is our defence - we have six players competing for four berths, and two of those are loanees.

Lee Barnard, my lord. He has started the campaign in brilliant form - having scored six in the league and 8 in all comps this season. Not only is he a really good forward, he works bloomin' hard as well. He's superb - and I hope the club are already discussing a contract extension with him.

The other key man is Franck Moussa. A former youth-team product and a Belgian U19 international, Franck is already becoming our key playmaker in midfield. He spots passes and runs that most other players at this level simply don't see. Absolute class.

8. Who do you think will win League One this season? Any outsiders or surprises?

Leeds United. Not a very original pick, but they look fantastic this year - and in "Larry" Grayson, have a manager who has got a side out of this division before. If they hang onto Beckford, they'll be out of sight by early March.

I don't think there will be any major surprises in the top 6 this season - although if there's one unsung club who may make an impact this year, it might be Bristol Rovers. Their demolition of Brentford at Griffin Park was a real statement of intent.

I think the top six will be Leeds, Charlton, Huddersfield, MK Dons, Noriwch City and one of Bristol Rovers, Colchester United or Southend United.

Mid-table. You look a bit thin at the back at the moment - although if you can get a front pairing of Pawel Abbot and Keigan Parker firing on all cylinders, you'll have plenty of goals in you. I reckon the Latics should target the cups this season - especially the LDV - and look to get in some more defenders for next year.

The head-to-head history between the clubs is somewhat unexpected, with away wins (at both Roots Hall and Boundary Park) far more common than you might expect. That said, you didn't look that impressive against Carlisle, while we're buoyed by two wins in our last three - with the last one being an extremely gratifying win away at Brighton.

So, for this Saturday, I'm going to 2-1 to Southend - with Barnard and O'Donovan getting the Southend goals.

Cheers,

Matt
www.shrimperzone.com

The man is synonomous with Southend Utd and there is no one I would rather have in charge. He took us from a struggling league two club to the championship with 3 trips to cardiffs millenium stadium on the way and a league one title. We may have been relegated straight away but the club is in a much better position than it was when he took over. Our gates have doubled and we play attractive, ball on the ground, football.

Money is tight due to a new stadium being on the horizon, so our only signings have been loanee's. We have a couple of lads from Sunderland, M'voto and O'Donovan and a guy from Wolves, Friend. These three guys really haven't played enough football to judge them on but from what we have seen all of them look like good additions to the squad. Our other Loanee is Lee Sawyer from Chelsea. This lad really impressed when he was here on loan last season and is quality! He hasn't featured much this season as his fitness is supposedly not up to scratch and our midfield has performed well over all, but he's the kind of player who can come off the bench and turn a game!

Realistically i'd say much the same play offs at a push, our 1st 11 is a match for anyone in this division but with a few injuries we will drop points.

Personally its Col U on boxing day, a win would really make my Xmas!

Tilly rarely springs a tactical surprise so i'd imagine we'd line up much the same as against Brighton, possible exception being Friend coming in at left back for Herd.

We should have more! all the games we have drawn, we could have won. We are a well organised side that anyone is going to find hard to beat. Personally I always get a bit worried when we concede corners and freekicks around the box as a lot of the goals we concede seem to be from set pieces.

Franck Moussa- A young midfielder who came through the youth teams. We always heard whispers of this guy for yrs as one who could "make it" and he finally broke into the 1st team last season. His early appearances weren't too impressive and he was sent on loan to Wycombe. He came back with a few games under his belt and featured towards the end of last season at left midfield. Franck has looked very good this season and has cemented his place in the team, he will play at a higher level I have no doubt.

Can't see a surprise, we have some real big clubs in league one and I think Charlton and Leeds will leave anyone else to fight it out in the play offs.

Only really going on the last couple of seasons, I have no idea who you may have signed or lost, I'd say mid table play offs at a push.

I'm quite confident so i'll say 3-1 to us, Barnard 2 and Moussa with Kev Maher scoring a consolation.

The man is synonomous with Southend Utd and there is no one I would rather have in charge. He took us from a struggling league two club to the championship with 3 trips to cardiffs millenium stadium on the way and a league one title. We may have been relegated straight away but the club is in a much better position than it was when he took over. Our gates have doubled and we play attractive, ball on the ground, football.

Money is tight due to a new stadium being on the horizon, so our only signings have been loanee's. We have a couple of lads from Sunderland, M'voto and O'Donovan and a guy from Wolves, Friend. These three guys really haven't played enough football to judge them on but from what we have seen all of them look like good additions to the squad. Our other Loanee is Lee Sawyer from Chelsea. This lad really impressed when he was here on loan last season and is quality! He hasn't featured much this season as his fitness is supposedly not up to scratch and our midfield has performed well over all, but he's the kind of player who can come off the bench and turn a game!

Realistically i'd say much the same play offs at a push, our 1st 11 is a match for anyone in this division but with a few injuries we will drop points.

Tilly rarely springs a tactical surprise so i'd imagine we'd line up much the same as against Brighton, possible exception being Friend coming in at left back for Herd.

We should have more! all the games we have drawn, we could have won. We are a well organised side that anyone is going to find hard to beat. Personally I always get a bit worried when we concede corners and freekicks around the box as a lot of the goals we concede seem to be from set pieces.

Franck Moussa- A young midfielder who came through the youth teams. We always heard whispers of this guy for yrs as one who could "make it" and he finally broke into the 1st team last season. His early appearances weren't too impressive and he was sent on loan to Wycombe. He came back with a few games under his belt and featured towards the end of last season at left midfield. Franck has looked very good this season and has cemented his place in the team, he will play at a higher level I have no doubt.

Can't see a surprise, we have some real big clubs in league one and I think Charlton and Leeds will leave anyone else to fight it out in the play offs.

Only really going on the last couple of seasons, I have no idea who you may have signed or lost, I'd say mid table play offs at a push.

I'm quite confident so i'll say 3-1 to us, Barnard 2 and Moussa with Kev Maher scoring a consolation.

first prize - a night with cricko
second prize - two nights with cricko???

i'm not sure the work 'prize' is appropriate ...... I think that posting will stop at 999,999 and then some poor person who doesn't know about this will post ....

All these replies and not one "**** off you northern ****" or similar. The Zone's gone soft, I tell ya.

I feel sorry for you when you have to join the col ewe forum ....

Wondered when you'd pop up on this forum too! I apologise for missing Sawyer off my list of loanees elsewhere. :whistling:

Spot kingSHRIMPER's deliberate mistake.

Back