• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Investments

Markets were always going to bounce back up. If you have missed the boat and not moved out before the markets start to drop you might as well hold on, enjoy the ride and wait for the recovery.

Take a look at the Japanese stock market - the Nikkei is still about 40% down from it's peak in 1989!

The taxation might force you to sell but i'd imagine your properties have grown in value and your return would be substantial. Certainly a lot better than leaving it in the bank!

Yes property has been far better for me than the 11/12% I had to pay for a public sector pension. It was compulsory when I joined but i could have done far more with that £400 per month.

That said I did buy the right ones at the right time and I have lived in them all at some stage. With property you can have rent as well as the capital and in my case some nice homes to live in....Which should always be your first aim with a property.

That said it is still a pyramid scheme. Which means you need new people at the bottom and a bigger mug than you to buy your property.....That can't last for ever.

I don't know who else is a believer in Bitcoin? If you are you may want to consider Argo Blockchain, a crypto mining company on the AIM market, ticker ARB. I bought these at 5.58p a share in September and they have now doubled (11.2p). If they maintain their mining levels then their profits will skyrocket with any increase in the price of Bitcoin. $50k Bitcoin would see an estimated share price of £2.50-£3.25.

Air BnB IPO on thursday.
Think this one is a no-brainer personally. Completed my W-8BEN form so I can trade US stocks in preparation and it is ridiculously simple!

Careful a bit with EVs - they already have pretty inflated share prices.

The Global X Funds Lithium and Battery Tech ETF may be worth a look for a broader view on that industry.

I've got some shares in Melody VR. They are supposed to be buying out Napster. The deal is classed as a reverse takeover so MelodyVR shares have been suspended. Shares are shown to about 4p a share, down on what I paid but once the takeover is complete, they share price should rocket.

I have also been given shares in my company at $52 a share. About half are vested and the rest get vested monthly. Currently at $72 a share and rising. When I cash in I get the difference between price at gifted ($52) and price at sell. If it doubles by the time they are all vested, it stands me $16k profit.

Air BnB IPO on thursday.
Think this one is a no-brainer personally. Completed my W-8BEN form so I can trade US stocks in preparation and it is ridiculously simple!

Has to fill in a W-8BEN form for my company shares but I've filled another one with my current trading company just in case I want to trade in the US market.

Air BnB sounds interesting but its looking like $55 - 60 a share share so can't invest much into that

I've got some shares in Melody VR. They are supposed to be buying out Napster. The deal is classed as a reverse takeover so MelodyVR shares have been suspended. Shares are shown to about 4p a share, down on what I paid but once the takeover is complete, they share price should rocket.

I have also been given shares in my company at $52 a share. About half are vested and the rest get vested monthly. Currently at $72 a share and rising. When I cash in I get the difference between price at gifted ($52) and price at sell. If it doubles by the time they are all vested, it stands me $16k profit.

So is he going to have to change is name? @Napster, tell us more.

I did very well from gifted shares and sharesave with my company. I think most of my shares were gifted and bought between £3 and £4 in Amlin and when Mitsui Sumitomo acquired us they paid £6.70. Pretty much gave me the deposit my house, I was very lucky.

Has to fill in a W-8BEN form for my company shares but I've filled another one with my current trading company just in case I want to trade in the US market.

Air BnB sounds interesting but its looking like $55 - 60 a share share so can't invest much into that

They aren't cheap but I think they could be the travel sectors version of Amazon. I think the Air BnB experiences market can grow massively as well. If you have a look at London today you have 17 experiences you can do, jack the ripper walks, DJ lessons, investment banking and how to get into it, Tango lessons etc and this will rise massively when covid restrictions are over. If they market these experiences when people are booking their city breaks etc as optional extras I think they will really take off.

They aren't cheap but I think they could be the travel sectors version of Amazon. I think the Air BnB experiences market can grow massively as well. If you have a look at London today you have 17 experiences you can do, jack the ripper walks, DJ lessons, investment banking and how to get into it, Tango lessons etc and this will rise massively when covid restrictions are over. If they market these experiences when people are booking their city breaks etc as optional extras I think they will really take off.
So easy to copy their model though.

So easy to copy their model though.
Yep 100% it would have been easy to copy Amazons model as well, or facebooks. They already have the market share, the known name and will have a massive bank of capital after this IPO though. Like any investment it has its risks, my opinion is they are already big enough to thwart competitors.
There are landlords who let on air bnb who ask repeat business to book on other platforms though for repeat business, so it is something that should be considered. I did look at it when doing my due diligence. Undercutting air bnb with such a small market share doesn't look like being a long term profitable business in my eyes, I can't see it being sustainable.

Yep 100%, it would have been easy to copy Amazons model as well, or facebooks. They already have the market share, the known name and will have a massive bank of capital after this IPO though. Like any investment it has its risks, my opinion is they are already big enough to thwart competitors.
There are landlords who let on air bnb who ask repeat business to book on other platforms though for repeat business, so it is something that should be considered. I did look at it when doing my due diligence. Undercutting air bnb with such a small market share doesn't look like being a long term profitable business in my eyes, I can't see it being sustainable.

Not really, as the investment needed back then would have been different.

Either way, this could either fly or not. I wouldnt bet on it myself but thats me.

I did very well from gifted shares and sharesave with my company. I think most of my shares were gifted and bought between £3 and £4 in Amlin and when Mitsui Sumitomo acquired us they paid £6.70. Pretty much gave me the deposit my house, I was very lucky.

Here's a good one.

An accountant I know told me about a client of his who is a mobile app developer. Most of his clients are start ups and can't afford to pay him so he often takes shares in the companies instead.

He has a whole portfolio of shares that are worthless. But, one of the start ups he took shares in was bought out by Facebook. From the sale he made £84m.

I've been thinking about investments the last few months but none of my friends know anything about it so I literally have no idea where to start. Is it all through app's etc, how do you get started?

I've been thinking about investments the last few months but none of my friends know anything about it so I literally have no idea where to start. Is it all through app's etc, how do you get started?
Proceed with caution - there are so many apps nowadays that offer investing-related features that it is very easy to sign up for something you don't fully understand and lose a lot of money.

There is quite a wealth of information for beginners here: https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/investing-beginners-guide

Back