• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Investments

I've been thinking about investments the last few months but none of my friends know anything about it so I literally have no idea where to start. Is it all through app's etc, how do you get started?

I echo what flangejackrabbit says in exercising caution. I would recommend listening to the VOX markets podcast and watching youtube videos by Justin Waite https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUpBSO3c4D1H0D35eg4oRwpQ

I invest using Hargreaves Lansdown who charge a flat fee of £11.99 a deal. I have a stocks and shares ISA which means if one of my stocks does rocket ( I should be so lucky) I will not get charged capital gains tax. HL are very good and can talk you through how to do everything on the phone if you are interested. My advice would be to not rush in, follow a few companies you see recommended, do your own due diligence (Justin Waite has a good video on what to look for). If you see you are picking a few good companies that are going up then start playing with real money and never get led by FOMO. You will learn lessons along the way.

I echo what flangejackrabbit says in exercising caution. I would recommend listening to the VOX markets podcast and watching youtube videos by Justin Waite https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUpBSO3c4D1H0D35eg4oRwpQ

I invest using Hargreaves Lansdown who charge a flat fee of £11.99 a deal. I have a stocks and shares ISA which means if one of my stocks does rocket ( I should be so lucky) I will not get charged capital gains tax. HL are very good and can talk you through how to do everything on the phone if you are interested. My advice would be to not rush in, follow a few companies you see recommended, do your own due diligence (Justin Waite has a good video on what to look for). If you see you are picking a few good companies that are going up then start playing with real money and never get led by FOMO. You will learn lessons along the way.

Great, good advice. Thank you

I do agree that Hargreaves Lansdown are very helpful once you work out how you plan to approach things.

Think I am going to sit out on the Air BnB IPO, the price looks too inflated at $68 a share. Will keep on the watch list and buy if it dips in the next few weeks

Edit, auction is still happening rumour is $150 per share. Blown up massively! Will dip massively as well at that price

Second edit, opened at $165!!!!

Last edited:
I use Hargreaves Lansdown as well - but they are relatively expensive - especially overseas shares where they rip you off on fx charges both when you buy and sell

I use Hargreaves Lansdown as well - but they are relatively expensive - especially overseas shares where they rip you off on fx charges both when you buy and sell

Yes I thought £11.99 per trade was a bit rich but I can't find a better platform for a small investor like myself who wants to buy on the AIM market. If anyone has any suggestions I would welcome them

Interesting story about some Essex based traders in the oil market. Not sure if they will end up in prison or not....

It is interesting and a demonstration in how the markets are weighted against small traders, those in the know or those with financial clout have a distinct advantage. It is not a level playing field which is why people like us need to exercise caution and do our due diligence before investing.

Yesterdays IPO for Air BnB was a prime example of the unlevel playing field, certain investors could trade pre IPO and during the auction period where they picked up shares as low as $58, the 1st opportunity for someone like me to buy a share was at $165 (I didn't).

Think I am going to sit out on the Air BnB IPO, the price looks too inflated at $68 a share. Will keep on the watch list and buy if it dips in the next few weeks

Edit, auction is still happening rumour is $150 per share. Blown up massively! Will dip massively as well at that price

Second edit, opened at $165!!!!
Some of these tech IPOs open at absolutely senseless prices. I can't see the valuation implied by that even being close to reality.

There’s little to justify / support a price of $68 let alone the inflated levels it’s now reached. Much prefer to invest in organisations with assets even if potential returns are lower.

Yes I thought £11.99 per trade was a bit rich but I can't find a better platform for a small investor like myself who wants to buy on the AIM market. If anyone has any suggestions I would welcome them

Just signed up to IG. £8 a trade and looks like they trade on the AIM market

Last edited:
Just signed up to IG. £8 a trade and loos like they trade on the AIM market
Thanks, I will look deeper next week. From an initial glance I cant see a stocks and shares ISA option with them. It is significantly cheaper per trade though so I am certainly going to investigate further

It is interesting and a demonstration in how the markets are weighted against small traders, those in the know or those with financial clout have a distinct advantage. It is not a level playing field which is why people like us need to exercise caution and do our due diligence before investing.

Yesterdays IPO for Air BnB was a prime example of the unlevel playing field, certain investors could trade pre IPO and during the auction period where they picked up shares as low as $58, the 1st opportunity for someone like me to buy a share was at $165 (I didn't).
I don’t see why it’s an example of the mkt being weighted against small traders- in the oil futures mkt they were “small traders”.?
The article is fairly well written, it was well known on the day that the mkt on front month WTI was going to drop like a stone.-just not to that level.
What most people consider to be “small traders” really shouldn’t be touching futures.

Doesn't look good news for anyone's UK investments if today's Guardian is right:-

"Analysts warned that ending the talks on Sunday without a deal would trigger a fresh sell-off, which could sink the currency close to parity with the dollar, and a rout in UK company share prices when the London stock market reopens on Monday morning."

Doesn't look good news for anyone's UK investments if today's Guardian is right:-

"Analysts warned that ending the talks on Sunday without a deal would trigger a fresh sell-off, which could sink the currency close to parity with the dollar, and a rout in UK company share prices when the London stock market reopens on Monday morning."
Of course anyone would have seen that coming for years

I don’t see why it’s an example of the mkt being weighted against small traders- in the oil futures mkt they were “small traders”.?
The article is fairly well written, it was well known on the day that the mkt on front month WTI was going to drop like a stone.-just not to that level.
What most people consider to be “small traders” really shouldn’t be touching futures.
OK yes you are right in the sense that they were small as in a 9 man team of professional traders. I was talking individual investers, but totally agree on futures, I wouldn't touch it

There was a mini sell off Friday. Think they have hit the nail on the head, there are some non UK based companies listed on UK markets that I'll have my eye on to buy if they drop. I did sell a bit on Friday, I'll lose out a little if we get a deal but it is small fry compared to how much we will lose collectively if we don't get a deal.

OK yes you are right in the sense that they were small as in a 9 man team of professional traders. I was talking individual investers, but totally agree on futures, I wouldn't touch it
Yes, I have worked in energy commodities for the last 17 years ( 17 years equites before)

Back