• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Investments

Over 90 per cent of non market punters who try to play the markets end up losing what they had. Or worse. What they didn’t have by leveraging . You might as well bet on the footy

Only if said punters have need to sell at below their break-even. Never lost out on any of my share investments to date and have no problem in waiting for a couple of holdings which slightly flagging to come good whilst still picking up the divis.

Over 90 per cent of non market punters who try to play the markets end up losing what they had. Or worse. What they didn’t have by leveraging . You might as well bet on the footy

I'm losing a little on most of my portfolio (nothing anymore than 20% down and I still see long term gain in most of them) but I have 2 that have performed wonderfully and have eaten up those losses and put my portfolio 26% up as at COB friday. Some will perform, some won't. I invested small amounts in trends by just reading about companies and not digging down into the finances a few years back and lost a little. I think now I have picked up some key pointers on how to do proper due diligence. I use the SCHEDULES matrix that Justin Waite uses and don't invest unless it ticks 7/8 out of 9.

SSizeyesMarket cap is under £30m
CChartNo/yesIs RSI under above 30 rising to 50
HHotYesIs it a growth area or hot commodity
EEarnings forecastyesare they or will they be profitable soon? what is the growth forecast over 5 years
DDirectorsYesdo they hold good share stakes
UUniqueYes
LLiquid assetsYesDo they have funds to take the company forward? Is there a chance of a dilution of shares
EEasy to understandyes
SScalableyesCan they generate potential uplift value to 10 times -
Time will tell but I don't do very well with my small stakes on the footy so I'll carry on with this for now.

Good policy, Ricky, in-depth research is key when investing. I try to maintain a holding in a mix of niche, mainstream and mega companies for a bit of variation. Had a lot of fun (and good profit) with mining outfits a few years back, the divis were a bonus.

Good policy, Ricky, in-depth research is key when investing. I try to maintain a holding in a mix of niche, mainstream and mega companies for a bit of variation. Had a lot of fun (and good profit) with mining outfits a few years back, the divis were a bonus.
I'd love to pick a good mining stock. My friend paid off his mortgage with EUA , if you pick the right one you are laughing (easier said than done). I've got 2 mining stocks in my portfolio ATM, KAT and SAV

I'm not one for picking individual stocks. I tend to go for passive tracker funds. The advantages are that it's cheaper (no trading fees, lower management fees) and it provides diversification.

I'm not one for picking individual stocks. I tend to go for passive tracker funds. The advantages are that it's cheaper (no trading fees, lower management fees) and it provides diversification.

Not nearly as much fun though!

As it happens I studied portfolio theory at university (or Poly as it was). I found it fascinating, especially the mathematical side of it. That said, what it boils down to is having a pyramid of investments. The lower (bigger) end of the pyramid will be your low risk, low return investments. As you go up the pyramid the risk increases along with the return, and the amount invested decreases. The top (smallest) bit will be the high risk, high return investments. Obviously, when you get to the top of the pyramid you only invest what you can afford to lose, which is why you only put a small amount in. It's the low risk low return investments that give you the freedom to be a bit more risky in other areas because they "guarantee" you a positive return.

It sounds like you've got the bottom of your pyramid covered, but not the rest!

Not nearly as much fun though!

As it happens I studied portfolio theory at university (or Poly as it was). I found it fascinating, especially the mathematical side of it. That said, what it boils down to is having a pyramid of investments. The lower (bigger) end of the pyramid will be your low risk, low return investments. As you go up the pyramid the risk increases along with the return, and the amount invested decreases. The top (smallest) bit will be the high risk, high return investments. Obviously, when you get to the top of the pyramid you only invest what you can afford to lose, which is why you only put a small amount in. It's the low risk low return investments that give you the freedom to be a bit more risky in other areas because they "guarantee" you a positive return.

It sounds like you've got the bottom of your pyramid covered, but not the rest!

I've got some small cap and emerging fund trackers as well for higher risk/growth but ultimately when it comes to individual investments I feel there's an information dissymmetry in which I'm always going to be at a disadvantage.

And for my big rewards, I'm still waiting for my premium bonds to win big!

I've got some small cap and emerging fund trackers as well for higher risk/growth but ultimately when it comes to individual investments I feel there's an information dissymmetry in which I'm always going to be at a disadvantage.

And for my big rewards, I'm still waiting for my premium bonds to win big!

Ive changed from my original approach of stock picking to an actively managed fund at medium risk. Youre always going to be at a disadvantage trying to play the market and I dont want my fingers burned!

I'd love to pick a good mining stock. My friend paid off his mortgage with EUA , if you pick the right one you are laughing (easier said than done). I've got 2 mining stocks in my portfolio ATM, KAT and SAV

Had Xstrata for a few years, continually buying low / re-investing / selling high to good effect, then moved into Glencore for a couple of years after they took full ownership of Xstrata. I view investments as all potentially long term. Unlike betting on dogs / horses etc which is instant win or loss, there's no loss unless a desperate need to sell or a company goes belly-up... shares are always in play.

Ive changed from my original approach of stock picking to an actively managed fund at medium risk. Youre always going to be at a disadvantage trying to play the market and I dont want my fingers burned!
Ah, but playing the market can be great fun!

You two should do the devil and angel on the shoulders thing you see in cartoons haha

Had Xstrata for a few years, continually buying low / re-investing / selling high to good effect, then moved into Glencore for a couple of years after they took full ownership of Xstrata. I view investments as all potentially long term. Unlike betting on dogs / horses etc which is instant win or loss, there's no loss unless a desperate need to sell or a company goes belly-up... shares are always in play.

That's partly true, but you're ignoring the opportunity cost. Your loss isn't whether or not you've made or lost money. It's what the return could have been over the same period had it been invested somewhere else.

There's always the chance a higher gain could be made elsewhere, the 'what might have been' scenario which is reality is a hypothetical, but in real terms the only consideration is the here and now holding(s) and the profit that they may provide.

I'm losing a little on most of my portfolio (nothing anymore than 20% down and I still see long term gain in most of them) but I have 2 that have performed wonderfully and have eaten up those losses and put my portfolio 26% up as at COB friday. Some will perform, some won't. I invested small amounts in trends by just reading about companies and not digging down into the finances a few years back and lost a little. I think now I have picked up some key pointers on how to do proper due diligence. I use the SCHEDULES matrix that Justin Waite uses and don't invest unless it ticks 7/8 out of 9.

SSizeyesMarket cap is under £30m
CChartNo/yesIs RSI under above 30 rising to 50
HHotYesIs it a growth area or hot commodity
EEarnings forecastyesare they or will they be profitable soon? what is the growth forecast over 5 years
DDirectorsYesdo they hold good share stakes
UUniqueYes
LLiquid assetsYesDo they have funds to take the company forward? Is there a chance of a dilution of shares
EEasy to understandyes
SScalableyesCan they generate potential uplift value to 10 times -
Time will tell but I don't do very well with my small stakes on the footy so I'll carry on with this for now.
We won’t fall into your criteria of small
You might want to consider “ice” shares. You won’t “get rich quick” but very steady double digit performance.
I am biased as it’s my employer and I receive stock bonuses,but it also means I will nderstand rhe business a little and it hard to ignore the consistent year on year performance is

the market still doesn’t understand our business (see the share price fell when it was leaked we were speaking to eBay as investors didn’t understand the similarities).
We will transform Ellie Mae and the upside there is enormous.
More and more Regulation forces firms to use CCP’s and therefore in turn to use exchanges
Practically every year we outdo analysts forecasts (usd $7 when launched 20 years ago, now $112)
Ps- I’ve also owns BAKKT , and I know you are interested in cypto-

Last edited:
We won’t fall into your criteria of small
You might want to consider “ice” shares. You won’t “get rich quick” but very steady double digit performance.
I am biased as it’s my employer and I receive stock bonuses,but it also means I will nderstand rhe business a little and it hard to ignore the consistent year on year performance is

the market still doesn’t understand our business (see the share price fell when it was leaked we were speaking to eBay as investors didn’t understand the similarities).
We will transform Ellie Mae and the upside there is enormous.
More and more Regulation forces firms to use CCP’s and therefore in turn to use exchanges
Practically every year we outdo analysts forecasts (usd $7 when launched 20 years ago, now $112)
Ps- I’ve also owns BAKKT , and I know you are interested in cypto-
Thank you, I have just done a quick search on ICE and BAKKT and it is taking me down a rabbit hole so need to look at it all further and understand it. I am very interested in crypto but will take something special to get me involved further as my exposure there is already quite large!

Thank you, I have just done a quick search on ICE and BAKKT and it is taking me down a rabbit hole so need to look at it all further and understand it. I am very interested in crypto but will take something special to get me involved further as my exposure there is already quite large!
Bakkt is a small part of “ice” and i wouldn’t invest/not invest because of Bakkt , I only mentioned it because of your interest in crypto. It’s for trading futures, it’s target audience is investment banks and large institutional investors who are weary of crypto/ can not trade it as it is unregulated where as BAKKT is “properly regulated “.
Ps a side shoot of bakkt is to make a consumer market in reward points where you can for instance buy/sell air miles loyalty points etc. In the US that could be huge as apparently household have far far more loyalty cards than in the uk ( I can’t recall the number).
Two examples of forward looking ideas where we are years ahead of the competition

Last edited:
Bakkt is a small part of “ice” and i wouldn’t invest/not invest because of Bakkt , I only mentioned it because of your interest in crypto. It’s for trading futures, it’s target audience is investment banks and large institutional investors who are weary of crypto/ can not trade it as it is unregulated where as BAKKT is “properly regulated “.
Ps a side shoot of bakkt is to make a consumer market in reward points where you can for instance buy/sell air miles loyalty points etc. In the US that could be huge as apparently household have far far more loyalty cards than in the uk ( I can’t recall the number).
Two examples of forward looking ideas where we are years ahead of the competition
Very interesting, I have a week off between Xmas and New year so I have got some harcore research to be doing! I've added this too a list I already have with some left field EV plays, a couple of green energy plays and a diamond miner as I've been advised by someone in the industry that diamonds have hit a bottom

Very interesting, I have a week off between Xmas and New year so I have got some harcore research to be doing! I've added this too a list I already have with some left field EV plays, a couple of green energy plays and a diamond miner as I've been advised by someone in the industry that diamonds have hit a bottom

Yeah, it was mine. The wife threw her engagement ring at me.

Had a very good morning and now have a stock that is clearly performing better than anything else in my portfolio. Given that I am new to this I only invested £400 in this one to test the water with my investment strategy but the returns have been Brilliant, I only purchased it in September

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201229_101211.jpg
    Screenshot_20201229_101211.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 26
Back