• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

iPad repair advice...

Dick Bate's Protege

Minister for Equality
Moron that I am, I just dropped and cracked the glass screen on my iPad 2. I've only had it 3 months, has anybody had any dealings with Apple regarding this sort of thing? Am I likely to have trouble with them attempting to charge me the Earth for repair/replacement? BTW I purchased it at Comet, who will obviously wash their hands of it.

Green for anyone that can help, cheers.

Have you not thought about buying a replacement screen and fitting it yourself. I only say this as I dropped my laptop earlier this year after 1 too many and cracked the screen. I looked on ebay and got a replacement which was easy to fit and have had no problems since. Have just looked on ebay and they have screens for ipad2 for less than £30.

Thanks for the replies. The Apple shop tried to charge me £200 for a replacement one, because it's company policy not to repair. Following various phone calls, complaints and reminders that I've spent thousands on Apple products in recent times they are sorting out a deal for me. Trying to avoid getting a new screen elsewhere in case the warranty ends up being void. Thanks again for the responses.

£200!

It's always amazed me that Apple can charge a massive premium for their goods and treat their customers like dog dirt.

£200!

It's always amazed me that Apple can charge a massive premium for their goods and treat their customers like dog dirt.

Anyone that buys anything Apple related is just a sheep that follows the crowd, has no thoughts of their own and gets fished in big time.

£200!

Hardly - I've had great service from them, outside of warranty but still replaced as if it was within. Far better than most companies!

Hardly - I've had great service from them, outside of warranty but still replaced as if it was within. Far better than most companies!

My ipod kept skipping every 3 songs or so, sent it back and they said they tested it and there was no issue. Put it on and within 3 songs it skipped.

They did eventually replace it for free after I put in a complaint but wasnt impressed.

With Ipads and iphones they have produced a great looking device that unfortunately breaks easily when dropped. You would have though they would account for this and provide a reasonably priced solution.

We have ipads we use for work and a colleague dropped his when he fell down the stairs and bent the screen and they did replace it for £130 which wasnt bad. But for smashed screens they should be replacing them for under £50 as the kits are half that.

Not great service that they have to replace the whole device, when there are kits you can buy to do it yourself.

Anyone that buys anything Apple related is just a sheep that follows the crowd, has no thoughts of their own and gets fished in big time.

There are certainly people who buy Macs just because they look nice, but iPads are quality and wouldnt say buying one of them makes me a sheep. I love my Ipad, used to love my Iphone but fed up with that and if I were to buy another phone Id opt for a Samsung so not an apple worshiper but can appreciate a good product. Baaa...

If you drive your car into a wall very fast and smash it into pieces, would you expect the car company to sell you a replacement for half price because they'd account for someone being clumsy?

If you drive your car into a wall very fast and smash it into pieces, would you expect the car company to sell you a replacement for half price because they'd account for someone being clumsy?

Funnily enough, that's not far off what I argued. I cracked the corner part of the iPad which could be covered with my little finger, I said to them that if I smashed my windscreen I wouldn't be expected to buy a new car at half price. I think their 'inability' to replace parts on their equipment is ridiculous, especially as they'll now take my one, recondition it, and sell it again.

Normally I'd have just paid the money and got on with it, but their take it or leave it attitude made it a point of principle. I should also point out that their Genius expert was Welsh; which in itself was totally intolerable.

Funnily enough, that's not far off what I argued. I cracked the corner part of the iPad which could be covered with my little finger, I said to them that if I smashed my windscreen I wouldn't be expected to buy a new car at half price. I think their 'inability' to replace parts on their equipment is ridiculous, especially as they'll now take my one, recondition it, and sell it again.

Normally I'd have just paid the money and got on with it, but their take it or leave it attitude made it a point of principle. I should also point out that their Genius expert was Welsh; which in itself was totally intolerable.

For every one like you, 10 more will blindly buy an ipad or some other apple product.

Try a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet with Wifi and 3G and flash player. Fab tablet

Apple phoned me today to say that in retrospect it was unreasonable to ask for £200 considering how much of their stuff I'd bought over the years. They're doing the swap for a new one for nothing. Thought that was pretty well done on their part considering I'd been willing to pay some contribution for a new screen.

That is just Apples way of saying your product will be obsolete in a few months when we wheel out a slightly shinier version.

Back