• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ipod volume

MK Shrimper

Striker
All, does anyone know of a simple program that will increase the volume of an Ipod. Apparantly due to stupid nanny state rule, thre EU have enforced a limit of -100db which is all very well in the office but on the train I can still hear people talking! I need volume to drown out the plebs!

And rather not go through the hassle of a volume boosting set of headphones.

TIA.

Apparently, if you are a computer whizz (im not), in the ipodsettings.xml, you can go in an edit the code. The parameter field you are looking for is <VolumeLimit>216</VolumeLimit> . Just change the number in the middle

Results appear to be mixed.

IIRC on Itunes, can you right click on a song and go to properties. There was a volume tab which you could use to increase the volume.

Done that. Worked on my old Ipod, but the newer ones are programmed with sound limiters thanks to our lovely mummies in the EU.

What iPod do you have? If you have a compatible model you can install Rockbox which will bypass the EU volume limit. If you don't have a compatible model then your best bet would be to buy a headphone amp and a decent pair of IEMs (In Ear Monitors) which will completely block out all exterior sound.

Try FiiO who make excellent headphone amps, I own the E7 (bought on Amazon) and it really is a nice bit of kit.

What iPod do you have? If you have a compatible model you can install Rockbox which will bypass the EU volume limit. If you don't have a compatible model then your best bet would be to buy a headphone amp and a decent pair of IEMs (In Ear Monitors) which will completely block out all exterior sound.

Try FiiO who make excellent headphone amps, I own the E7 (bought on Amazon) and it really is a nice bit of kit.

Thanks mate. It's a 7th gen Classic. I'll have look at Rockbox. :thumbsup:

Nope, can't get that to work either. From what I've read on websites it's not possible to remove this EU bollox....maybe the headphones idea is the only way to resolve it.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. It's a 7th gen Classic. I'll have look at Rockbox. :thumbsup:

Nope, can't get that to work either. From what I've read on websites it's not possible to remove this EU bollox....maybe the headphones idea is the only way to resolve it.

I've had a look at the Rockbox site and the latest Classic they support with a stable version is the 5th Gen and there's no version for the 7th gen yet.

Looks like you'll need to go down the route of getting a headphone amp, something like this would do the business -

FiiO-E06-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier

You're not still using the awful white headphones that come in the box I hope? If so then you'll hear a massive difference going for something like the Klipsch Image S4s or some Shure SE215s, obviously depends on how much you want to spend of course but for very little outlay you can dramatically increase sound quality and volume.

Sort of found a resolution - turn off the "sound check" and it increases the volume a tad. :thumbsup:

Back