• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ipod, Zen or Archos

I can get a brand new Zen 20gb for £130, an Ipod second hand nearly new for that price and an Archos for same.

I want a player compatible with windows ME ( and no I don't need XP or need it recomended thanks) and the mp3 player needs menus and categories capability etc.

What shall I get? I'm not concerned about what looks good and quality/price will sway it, it looks like the zen but I don't know anyone who's got one?

Thanks in advance

I recommend you upgrade to Windows XP.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 17 2005,09:56)]I recommend you upgrade to Windows XP.

tounge.gif
...I might as well get a new computer old chap, I run a whopping 666Mhz Devil Celeron
tounge.gif
! , and its done me proud and still does everything I need bar run the new Cubase and Ipod's it looks like, for which I need Xp
sad.gif

I refuse.
...and I can't be bothered to find all the drivers i'd need for my bolt on hardware.

Vote 1 for iPod. Everything is a breeze to use, great sound (i think), loads of accessories.

Guy I work with has the Zen and its not a patch looks wise to the iPod (moote point I know), but the access around menus etc looks very clunky compared to iPod.

Having experienced an IPod (my brother has one) and owning a Zen Touch, I have to say that the sound quality and battery life on the Zen are superior to the IPod, the software is much more user friendly (and runs perfectly on ME, while I had trouble with iTunes) and the menus are pretty easy to use. They don't look as nice, granted, but overall are much better value IMO

I've been thinking about getting an MP3 as well but I'm having the same difficulty choosing as AS is. What about IRiver and the new Sony 20GB MP3? I've also seen quite a smart Samsung 20GB for the same price as a a 4GB Ipod. What should I go for aesthetically pleasing or bigger memory?  
rock.gif

If i get one for me rounds it'll be nicked by the local chav's no doubt. I probably should have asked for one for my b'day but if i want it that much, i'll buy one ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ June 17 2005,12:17)]What should I go for aesthetically pleasing or bigger memory?  
rock.gif
Sound quality! Many MP3s sound absolute poo.

Have just purchased a Rio Carbon 5GB. Was a close call between the Rio and a new version iPod Mini (What Hi-Fi's two current best buys for players with approx 5GB memory - I didn't need 20GB as 5GB stores a good 75+ albums).

Little to choose between in sound quality so went for the Rio in the end because:
- after shopping around was £30 cheaper;
- comes with an AC adaptor (essential for charging when on holiday. Adaptor was a £20+ extra for the iPod)
- is much smaller; and
- everyone has an iPod and I didn't want to be a sheep
biggrin.gif

Whatever you buy, upgrade the headphones as they only ever chuck in a very cheap poor sounding pair. Have just bought some Sennheiser PX100s on line for £27 and they've made a huge difference.

I have a zen, and think it's the mutts.  Sound quality is excellent, and the menu system is easy to use.  Also, it supports wma, which are slightly more compact than MP3s...

If you really don't give a monkeys about the way it looks, it's a better choice than the ipod.

I got an Ipod for my birthday but haven't opened it yet so can't help!

How useful I am.....

I got the Creative mini one for £109, it has one Gig on it and does me fine. I have 160 tracks on it and still have 700K left it uses 1 AAA and a pack of 4 has lasted 6 weeks so far with 2 still to go.

Back