• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
Since our kamikaze run of three defeats against Millwall, Doncaster and Swindon we have now picked up three wins, and a draw giving us a return of ten points, eight goals for and only one conceded. We also sit in 7[SUP]th[/SUP] place in the FL1 table equal on points with Millwall and one behind Coventry and therefore one place off the play-offs,

All in all that looks pretty healthy to me and it says a lot for the manager and players that we have recovered so well from that mad spell. In fact it’s all starting to look just a bit real now to me that we have a chance in the play-offs. Now that I have had a bit of a better look at the January intake of players on loan the squad looks to me to be in good shape. We had some squeaky bum moments in the transfer window when I thought that Thompson and Worrall maybe Bentley may get sold, but it all came to nothing, so we now have depth of cover in just about every position and Wordsworth’s return is even more of a boost.

The new boys gave me a feeling yesterday that we have more craft and guile than we have had for some while and if it continues to come together I feel that we could be realistically in with a shout.

So what do you think, are we moving towards the Championship this season, or am I premature in my assessment?

I'd say a little premature, I genuinely hope we do go up but it's a long way off yet. Maybe come April if we are in or there abouts I will get excited. Sounds like these new loanees have given us the boost we needed. We have a squad good enough to push for it!

Nothing like jinxing yourself.

For me I'm just enjoying the ride, after spending so long down in the basement that is League Two, it's just nice to be applying ourselves in a higher level with great aplomb. Credit to Phil and the lads, they've brought a lot of joy back to us fans this last 12 months or so.

A pleasing thing for me just in the last 2 games is 5 separate goal scorers. We've never scored a great deal under Brown, it's been built on a solid defence. But it's nice to not be relying solely on the centre forward getting the goals.

Port Vale have got ten minutes left to equalise against Coventry in order to leave us only two points behind the Sky Blues. Currently 1-0 to Coventry.

Well, blow me down. Port Vale have indeed just equalised. Five minutes left.......

1-1 Would be a perfect result for us, Port Vale have played very well recenty and if they won, would only be a point behind us. Also a draw would mean Coventry dont widen the gap between us and Millwall.

Nice to win 3 on the bounce, but two of them against relegation battlers, and lets face it beating 10 man Colchester who haven't won in 15 games isn't anything to shout about other than the local derby factor.

Not impossible to finish in play offs though, its a pretty tight division and with a decent run who knows, I'm not confident we will do it, but to just be competing is a great achievement.

one more win to stay in this division after that anything is possible lets enjoy the ride

And Port Vale have held on, taking two points off Coventry. So the Sky Blues are now two points ahead of us in fifth position, but we have a game in hand. So a play-off spot is now within our grasp....

For me its all about the Fleetwood V Shrewsbury game, The out come matters not, either which way.

At 2.59pm yesterday afternoon, Col Utd had some hope of beating us, and they were at that time, 7 points from escaping the safety of the relegation zone.

As it turns out, we spanked them 3-0 & bought their total to 68 goals conceeded so far this season (80 in all competions) :smile: Will they make it a centuary from the 17 remaning games? it is very possible.

And now they are a further 8 points away from safety with Oldham and Fleetwood having games in hand over them!

All round..... happy days for us, & the worst weekend possible for the :COL U:

Talking of which, C&P & NEWS have been a bit sheepish (no pun intended) have been a bit silent of late?.. cant think why? :smile:

Talking of which, C&P & NEWS have been a bit sheepish (no pun intended) have been a bit silent of late?.. cant think why? :smile:

Hardly surprising. I don't think I would go near the Col Ewe board for a few days if we had lost three nil. Not that I've ever been there.

I agree with you RHB, the new boys do look good, more movement and purpose. Plus Ty is, so far, a revelation when playing the lone striker[ he holds the ball, wins headers and knock downs, makes feints (see WW's goal) and knows the offside law.
Before the transfer window I thought we would do well to keep top half of the table AND now I think we could keep averaging 2 points a game to be challenging for 6th or 7th.
The BIG problem is that of our 9 remaining away fixtures the nearest are Wallsall and Port Vale -hardly local - and all horrible Northern Cess Pits.

I think we might have a look at what we do without Ryan Leonard for however long he is out. His absence might affect us more than we think.

I know some (most?) on here say he is un-droppable, and can't see why his name is on the teamsheet nailed on for each game, well they obviously don't see the work he puts in and the ground he covers every game.

Whilst the loanees look good on the ball, and from my view technically good, sometimes it's when you don't have the ball that matters most. Look at some games stats, and we haven't had it more than we have. This is where leonard comes into his own. I hope we cope without him.

Another note I thought Will Atkinson had a great game before being subbed. Those two in the midfield are the envy of many in this division.

I agree with you RHB, the new boys do look good, more movement and purpose. Plus Ty is, so far, a revelation when playing the lone striker[ he holds the ball, wins headers and knock downs, makes feints (see WW's goal) and knows the offside law.
Before the transfer window I thought we would do well to keep top half of the table AND now I think we could keep averaging 2 points a game to be challenging for 6th or 7th.
The BIG problem is that of our 9 remaining away fixtures the nearest are Wallsall and Port Vale -hardly local - and all horrible Northern Cess Pits.

Why the hell did Shrewsbury let him go? Mind boggling.

I think we might have a look at what we do without Ryan Leonard for however long he is out. His absence might affect us more than we think.

I know some (most?) on here say he is un-droppable, and can't see why his name is on the teamsheet nailed on for each game, well they obviously don't see the work he puts in and the ground he covers every game.

Another note I thought Will Atkinson had a great game before being subbed. Those two in the midfield are the envy of many in this division.
Good post PP.
Early on in the season I thought Lenny and WW might be our Gerrard & Lampard, in that the two might not be compatible in the same midfield. It is a shame that Lenny is going to be out from an oaf'ish foul BUT it might be that it allows PB to experiment with WW, Kamara, Wozza, Westy etc AND we have the hard working duo of Atko, Tims and the "new" trimmed beard Deegs to use for the bite and hastle stuff.

Back