• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was Barrett a Ron Signing to boost ticket sales or Browns?

• He was signed by Ron to boost ticket sales

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • He was signed by Brown

Votes: 49 70.0%

• Total voters

IloveShrimp

Director⭐
As Barrett has spent more time in the stands and warming the bench since he signed a la Barnard and of course Freddy and has since decided to retire, I am begining to wonder whether maybe he was a Ron signing rather than Browns, what do you think?

Seeing as Phil Brown was the one meeting him in hotels Id say it was Browns choice. May well have been pointed in the right direction by Ron though.

We did need someone with experience at the time, injuries unfortunately kept him out.

To be fair to Brown, lots of his signings don't end up playing.

Nobody is suggesting that Bolger or Ibenfeldt were Ron signings.

Got to be Browns. Was never going to be first choice anyway, but it only takes an injury or two and he will be playing. I think he is above Bolger in the pecking order now, and probably JBW as well.

Is a defender much of a draw? I know AB banged them in, but strikers are always far more exciting in the case of FE or LB.

He was needed at the time of signing, and looked like he would make the defence more solid. First he was out injured, and then he got his chance but the Stevenage game did him no favours as the defence was all over the shop second half. After that he is just a back up centre back, but before it, he was a possible starter for the rest of the season.

His signing always seemed like an emergency addition due to our injury list, but then he got injured himself and now that everyone is fit again he is well down in the pecking order without a chance to prove himself, why gamble on Barrett when we know Prosser and Thompson are solid?

Does it matter?

We needed a defender and it also made sense to bring in someone with experience and bring in a defender who'd be a positive influence in the dressing room and get the crowd going a bit.

Brown said he wanted to speak to AB after his performances on telly in the cup. It was a shame it took a typical AB performance to get Brown's interest because he could have just asked anyone at the club about him. In fact, he's probably one of the most well known CB's in the lower leagues and I'd expect a few people would have told Brown to take a look at the start of the season.

Also, didn't Ron and AB have a bit of a bust up?

Also, didn't Ron and AB have a bit of a bust up?

Dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left because he wasn't being paid. If that was the case, i'd like to know what the relationship is like between AB and Uncle Ron now.

Back