• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Brown The Right Man for the Job

• Total voters
I am totally unconvinced by Phil Brown, I always thought he was a bit of a **** before he came here and he's done nothing to change my mind since. He seems to contradict himself in interviews, first he was impressed with the quality in the squad then was saying we lacked quality in the final 3rd (errr Assombalonga, Tomlin & Corr all in double figures), then saying that at Wembley he had no regrets over team selection to one interview and that he may have got it wrong to another. On top of that the awful team selection at Wembley, how on earth did he think Mohsni would be a good choice, did he have his eyes closed at the Fleetwood match? I'm sorry but I don't buy this stuff about you can't expect him to turn things around without his own players. When a new manager comes in you expect a bit of a 'bounce', Southend have arguably got worse. Take a look at when Tilson joined, the players weren't his, yet he got 3 wins in his first 4 games. I am normally Mr Positivity, always willing to give players & managers a chance, believing that they can turn things around. I had that faith in Tilson, I had that faith in Sturrock, I believe there is enough talent in this squad to play considerably better than they are (evidence? the first half of the season) but I do not believe Brown has that ability, I just get a bad feeling in my gut.

Totally this. I couldn't have put it better

Ron went for high profile and an expensive manager and we all need to give PB a decent chance.

It's just laughable people on here at times. I've read numerous times that people don't like PB, he is a knob etc, unless you know the guy personally then how can you judge? His first two results were decent draws, albeit maybe not great performances, we were beaten by a superior side at Wembley, but despite the selection could have got something had the ref been a bit more on our side and then lose last night with probably the best side he has put out, lets face it Wembley Hang over etc, dud anyone see Crewe's result last night. I never expected us to win last night. Too many players appear to have given up and too many already on their holidays. BUT under PS we were no different, 17 points since Christmas is woeful and ' those three' home games we were awful. Under PS I have witnessed probably four of the five worst games I have ever seen at Roots Hall, Aldershot and Boston being the other. Unfortunately people's opinions on here are based on his on the field team talk at City a few years back, something that he admits that he probably shouldn't have done, but give the guy a chance. Another factor is GC, he was the coach under PS and were **** poor, now under PB the same, I wonder if he could be part of the problem.

People were not genuinely slating him only for being northern and having a ran. They are just easy jokes to make at his expense. What people were concerned about was his poor record in management save for one season and his lack of knowledge working on our kind of budget and in the lower leagues.

Actually the northern and tan thing are symptoms of two other genuine concerns - being based up north means a lot of his contacts are there. In lower leagues it can be difficult to pursuade people to relocate without paying them extra, and those players may find it harder to settle. He will also have little knowledge of the local non league scene.

The tan thing, whilst amusing also is part of what a lot of people fear about his character - self obsessed, likes the limelight himself - which doesn't bode well long term.

To suggest he is doomed to fail because people were against him at the start is nonsense. He will fail if he fails to win matches. The reason he is not winning matches at the moment is not due to some people's negativity on here.

He should obviously be given a chance and judged on his squad for next season.

Having said that - the wholly unjustified attitude of so many Shrimpers that were biased against PB from the very start? I fear he will not be given a decent crack at the whip.
Being northern and having a tan? I don't give a damn as long as he gives his best for Southend United. A few on here obviously care more about slagging a northen accent and heavy tan than wishing a newcomer well at Southend United!!

I am totally unconvinced by Phil Brown, I always thought he was a bit of a **** before he came here and he's done nothing to change my mind since. He seems to contradict himself in interviews, first he was impressed with the quality in the squad then was saying we lacked quality in the final 3rd (errr Assombalonga, Tomlin & Corr all in double figures), then saying that at Wembley he had no regrets over team selection to one interview and that he may have got it wrong to another. On top of that the awful team selection at Wembley, how on earth did he think Mohsni would be a good choice, did he have his eyes closed at the Fleetwood match? I'm sorry but I don't buy this stuff about you can't expect him to turn things around without his own players. When a new manager comes in you expect a bit of a 'bounce', Southend have arguably got worse. Take a look at when Tilson joined, the players weren't his, yet he got 3 wins in his first 4 games. I am normally Mr Positivity, always willing to give players & managers a chance, believing that they can turn things around. I had that faith in Tilson, I had that faith in Sturrock, I believe there is enough talent in this squad to play considerably better than they are (evidence? the first half of the season) but I do not believe Brown has that ability, I just get a bad feeling in my gut.
Totally agree with everything you say, i only had to look at the last two team sheets and i new we'd lose, like somebody on here said he'll be gone by Christmas, the mans a joke.:hilarious:

Ridiculous thread! He hasn't been able to bring one body into a team that was performing poorly when the beloved Sturrock was in charge. We have some poor players, that were not brought in by Brown and he is in the process of assessing them. We have finished mid table now so let him get on with seeing how poor some of our side is so he can replace them with footballers rather than a bunch of "hardworkers"

I am totally unconvinced by Phil Brown, I always thought he was a bit of a **** before he came here and he's done nothing to change my mind since. He seems to contradict himself in interviews, first he was impressed with the quality in the squad then was saying we lacked quality in the final 3rd (errr Assombalonga, Tomlin & Corr all in double figures), then saying that at Wembley he had no regrets over team selection to one interview and that he may have got it wrong to another. On top of that the awful team selection at Wembley, how on earth did he think Mohsni would be a good choice, did he have his eyes closed at the Fleetwood match? I'm sorry but I don't buy this stuff about you can't expect him to turn things around without his own players. When a new manager comes in you expect a bit of a 'bounce', Southend have arguably got worse. Take a look at when Tilson joined, the players weren't his, yet he got 3 wins in his first 4 games. I am normally Mr Positivity, always willing to give players & managers a chance, believing that they can turn things around. I had that faithtotall in Tilson, I had that faith in Sturrock, I believe there is enough talent in this squad to play considerably better than they are (evidence? the first half of the season) but I do not believe Brown has that ability, I just get a bad feeling in my gut.
Totally agree, and I. Really dont want to. I want to be positive, I want to believe, but it is very difficult at the moment

I dont buy this 'let him get his own men etc'. Surely a good manager should be able to work with different players? Its not as if we have a bad squad! 3 strikers into double figures, the likes of Hurst, Cresswell, Clohessy, Smith, Phillips, Tamika. Most clubs in this division would covet these players. Fact is he has no experience of the lower leagues and has applied for umpteen jobs with no luck. Bar a good couple of seasons with Hull (with a lot of money thrown his way) his managerial record is poor. Probably why he hasnt got a job since Preston! But Ron goes cap in hand to the only guy who perhaps has an ego to match his. The job shouldve been properly advertised, there are some good managers out there, or at least ones with better knowledge of this division. Look at last nights opponents, got rid of their manager and appointed Keith Hill a good lower league manager who is now reviving the club's promotion chances. There has been no sign of a positive effect from the manager. Yes we were doing poorly under Sturrock but up until recently Tomlin has been missing, a key key player. Browns first home game and we have one shot on target, plays 2 centre backs in 2 centre mid, does the same on Sunday. Last night changed things but Leonard for Reeves wouldve been better. Doesnt look like he has a clue how to set up a team differently home and away or make effective tinkering like Luggy could.

On the Sturrock out threads , before he went, some used the phrase "be careful what you wish for" .
I think, RM got in a manager who he thought would raise the profile of the club and show the fans , that by getting in a manager who has been in the Prem very recently, that he meant business. Unfortunately the lack of knowledge of lower leagues or working in a poor financial enviroment as well as his limited knowledge of the south of England does not appear to have been factored in.

I would not be surprised if he goes before Christmas leaving a legacy of poor signings and few points, but thats no where near a certainty

How do people know what his list of contacts are. He has spent a lot of time watching football over the past few months and one if his best friends in football is manager at west ham, so he may have many contacts all over the country, we just don't know. What worries me is rather than support the guy people already want him to fail. We must get behind him and the team.

He can only really be judged once he begins to get his own players in. I imagine the summer will see a large turnover of personnel. Some players need to have a long, hard look at themselves. They season didn't end last night, it ended against Wimbledon when it was clear some of them didn't want to make a tackle to risk them being out for Wembley. They have got a very good manager, and one they supposedly wanted to work for, the sack. Some of them are going to be shipped out and for all their promise, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I have concerns about Brown on what I've witnessed so far but these aren't his players, he doesn't know them yet. I believe he is trying to change our mentality to a more attacking one, it will take time to get this right but it's what the fans have called for. Last night, for example, we got steamrollered because Brown tried to take the game to Rochdale rather than counter attack as we would have done under Sturrock, but that's not necessarily going to happen once Brown has had time to get it right.

Like it or not, we are in a period of transition again, as we were three years ago (although not quite as drastic). Ergo it's only fair to give the new manager time. He will bring in his own men over the summer and it's not fair or sensible to judge him now.

May not agree with the appointment, may not like the bloke, but you have to give him the opportunity to show his mettle, and that won't happen until next season once there's been a clear out of players and fresh faces brought in.

Ridiculous thread! He hasn't been able to bring one body into a team that was performing poorly when the beloved Sturrock was in charge. We have some poor players, that were not brought in by Brown and he is in the process of assessing them. We have finished mid table now so let him get on with seeing how poor some of our side is so he can replace them with footballers rather than a bunch of "hardworkers"

Don't necessarily agree with that... we have some good players playing poorly.

I've not seen anyone want brown to fail, just many express their doubts whether he is capable of succeeding. People expressing those doubts on here is not going to affect whether he ultimately does or doesn't succeed. That will be down to him and his results

How do people know what his list of contacts are. He has spent a lot of time watching football over the past few months and one if his best friends in football is manager at west ham, so he may have many contacts all over the country, we just don't know. What worries me is rather than support the guy people already want him to fail. We must get behind him and the team.

May not agree with the appointment, may not like the bloke, but you have to give him the opportunity to show his mettle, and that won't happen until next season once there's been a clear out of players and fresh faces brought in.

Agree with this. I am genuinely at a loss to explain why we've ditched a manager such has Sturrock - I think this is very short sighted. My gut instinct is also that PB is a terrible appointment. However he has to be given the time to stamp his mark on the team, and that isn't 4 games. I don't subscribe to the view that the current team is bad - we have weaknesses in places, but we've also got a lot of decent players for this level. I suspect that by Christmas PB will go, having left us with a load of crap players and someone will have to perform a rescue job next season. However the chance of moving forward then will also be limited as fans will want Tilson to make a return, and the board will probably be in such a weak position that they'll appoint him to appease the fans.

I don't buy this argument of getting your own players in. Firstly, who would he bring in? He's been out of the game for a while. Secondly, the players are good enough - we have been in the upper echelons for most of the season. Sturrock had to rely on his reputation within the game to get players and call in loanees.

I think Ron gambled with the myth that new managers inspire a run of good results, and that would take us into the play-offs and potentially more revenue.

But it's fair to say it's failed. If he can't motivate the players, then I fear he will be a dead man walking before the new season starts.

He needs time to get his own team together then I will judge him,its not like we were doing well when he was appointed I thought his team selection last night was better we just played bad. All the blame can't lay at Browns door, as others have said lets see what it is like at Christmas.

Back