• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Brown The Right Man for the Job

• Total voters
How long was Brown's contract? You think we can afford to fire him? He's here for the duration.

Don't necessarily agree with that... we have some good players playing poorly.

Then you have to ask the question of the manager as to why he isn't doing his job in motivating them?

From day one, I've thought Brown has come across as an arrogant ****hole, maybe he is to the players as well. Is he ****ing them off in the changing room so much that quite frankly they don't want to go out and perform for him?

Then you have to ask the question of the manager as to why he isn't doing his job in motivating them?

From day one, I've thought Brown has come across as an arrogant ****hole, maybe he is to the players as well. Is he ****ing them off in the changing room so much that quite frankly they don't want to go out and perform for him?

Then surely you have to ask the same question of Sturrock as post Christmas form was abysmal.

The players were hardly doing it for Sturrock. I think it's less a question of motivation, more one of confidence, injury issues (last night was the first time really we've had a full squad to choose from since December - Timlin excepted) and an unwillingness to put bodies on the line ahead of Wembley.

Then surely you have to ask the same question of Sturrock as post Christmas form was abysmal.

I never disagreed with Sturrock leaving. I felt he was going to anyway and his reign was rather petering out.

This was a last ditch effort from Ron to get us into the play off's under the 'new manager' effect and it has dramatically failed so questions have to be asked already.

Jesus Christ, is this thread for real?!?!?!?

Whether or not you agree with it, Sturrock has gone, probably forever. Get over it.

As for Brown, he is working with none of his own players and facing an impossible expectation that some of our fans feel he will steer us into the play-offs! Why are so many of our fans lauding Sturrock who achieved League Two survival and a forgettable play-off campaign in just under three seasons with a squad he built from preferred personnel, yet three league games into his tenure Brown is already feeling the heat! It's mental!

How about you all be realistic and understand that the remaining games are no more than a chance for each player to prove his worth to PB, forget about this season and wait until Christmas before coming all angry mob.

PB did not ruin this season - The Tinpot Trophy, Barnet, Plymouth, Torquay and Wimbledon did.....None of these things happened under PB's tenure.

Give the guy a chance to start afresh next season at least!

How do people know what his list of contacts are. He has spent a lot of time watching football over the past few months and one if his best friends in football is manager at west ham, so he may have many contacts all over the country, we just don't know. What worries me is rather than support the guy people already want him to fail. We must get behind him and the team.

Yes he has, and why is that? He has applied for plenty of jobs and got none of them. What does that tell you?

Yes he has, and why is that? He has applied for plenty of jobs and got none of them. What does that tell you?

This
25gqz9c.gif

How long was Brown's contract? You think we can afford to fire him? He's here for the duration.

I believe we can cut ties with no "pay-off's" within the first 6 months...

Not 100% on that though, so could be bollocks. Just something I heard.

The rather curious thing about Brown's appointment is that he has not managed at this level and must be quite expensive compared with some of the viable alternatives. Moreover, his success came at a club where he had generous financial backing.

I believe we should have moved heaven and earth to tempt Justin Edinburgh here. He has consistently demonstrated is a very capable manager at the non-league level and clearly has a big future in the game.

By the way, some of the best young managers in Divisions 1 and 2 emerge via the non-league route.

Well we'll just have to suck it and see!

You can't make your mind up after 4 games, even though there are those that have already.

The first half of next season will tell a lot.

The rather curious thing about Brown's appointment is that he has not managed at this level and must be quite expensive compared with some of the viable alternatives. Moreover, his success came at a club where he had generous financial backing.

I believe we should have moved heaven and earth to tempt Justin Edinburgh here. He has consistently demonstrated is a very capable manager at the non-league level and clearly has a big future in the game.

By the way, some of the best young managers in Divisions 1 and 2 emerge via the non-league route.

Good shout and Devo at Braintree who has worked miracles there.

Good shout and Devo at Braintree who has worked miracles there.
Either of these would have gone done well with supporters, let's hope Smiffy is right about this 6 month thing!

I believe we can cut ties with no "pay-off's" within the first 6 months...

Not 100% on that though, so could be bollocks. Just something I heard.

Seems a bit unlikely. 6 months takes us to the start of October where approx 11 league games will have been played. Given that this season is (in the eyes of Ron) a write off, his actual tenure should be judged from August, no?

I don't know Steve Tilson and neither really Paul Sturrock but I felt a sort of comfort with them, rather like wearing a really good pair of shoes. Steve had the added advantage of being 'one of ours' and his period of success at the club remain years that all of us still cherish. It wasn't just the success it was also the way he handled the job of being manager. He appeared calm and there was almost an air of diffidence about him. Who can forget those awkward interviews, his catch phrases and his limitations with the English language that endeared himself to us all. He went about his job with a great deal of humility and you can imagine that he was liked and respected by the players.
Steve was a hard act to follow, yet it is to Ron Martin's credit, that he found, in Paul Sturrock, a man who appeared to have many of his qualities, whilst adding a little more guile and strength of character. Added to this, his ability to extract the best from his players and his knowledge and experience of having success with lower league clubs being run on a shoestring. It was quite an inspired appointment and he had an incredibly tough job winning over supporters following the bitterness felt by Tilson's departure. He again went quietly and professionally about his task and even though his style of football may not have pleased everyone he won many over with his honesty and integrity. I don't think there has ever been a time when fans have felt closer to a manager, particularly through contact with his intermediary, cluniemore. This era has drawn to a close, sadly without the hoped for success and I wonder whether Paul's only regret will be that he didn't stick more firmly to the principles that had brought success in the past........plaudits for promotion would have surely silenced the critics of style. Anyway, we shall never know.
So, in brief, we have had ten years of a managerial style that has appeared to be reflective, thoughtful, sensitive, conciliatory............. ...........softly softly. Now many of us find ourselves in a state of shock as the new man in charge appears to show qualities diametrically opposite to those we are used to. Confrontational, brash, aloof, haughty with a bit of arrogance thrown in are some of the impressions that are coming across...........no wonder some of us are left unsure. You just don't see Phil Brown putting a paternal arm around Bilel's shoulders when the latter is having a crisis! We certainly all need a period of adjustment.
Why did Ron Martin make such a dramatic change to his type of manager? Perhaps he looked over the Thames and saw the success that Martin Allen has brought to Gillingham...........that's the kind of person we need! Perhaps, but there again Allen has had wide experince with lower league clubs, something that Phil Brown hasn't had. His not my style of manager but I suppose I shall happily put aside my predjudicies if he brings us success as would, no doubt, those individuals who'd criticised Luggy's direct style of football.

Last edited:
Either of these would have gone done well with supporters, let's hope Smiffy is right about this 6 month thing!

This 6 month thing is rather peculiar,Why would Ron offer it and even worse Brown accepts it.TBH nothing at the club surprises me anymore.

There is one yardstick that I would be prepared to measure Phil Brown against at this stage......Can he do something Sturrock never succeeded in doing.........To beat bloody Aldershot Town??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No don't believe Phil Brown is the right man, employed by somebody who doesn't really understand football in my opinion and just looking for a big name to raise profile and revenue. Having said that i will give him a fair chance as we were pretty awful under Sturrock for 3 months previous so i think a lot of blame has got to sit with the players, after all the managers can do a lot but they can't cross the white line onto the pitch and our team as a whole looks woefully school-boy in their play and appear to be struggling even with the basics. But what can you expect from a team full of loanees and others with contracts expiring they're gonna play for themselves not for the team. The whole philosophy at the football club needs to change, we need to start building from the ground up, take a leaf out of Crewe's book and build teams that's core play together consistently for years. I know its tough in the lower leagues but that way you get a unity and togetherness which shows in the way that a team performs as they play for each other and for the club then to an extent it doesn't really matter who the guy on the touchline is. Wouldn't it be great to cheer on some local lads in the first team a bit more?? Not convinced that's going to happen under Brown though but if not him then who?

Back