• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Brown The Right Man for the Job

• Total voters
If Phil had won all of his 4 games we all would be blaming Luggy ,Yet both managers cannot get any sort of performance from the players so in my mind the players or some of them are simply not good enough.

I think that you must not underestimate the importance personality dynamics in this. For me there has been a radical change in management style. That may not suit some or many of the players, who could react negatively to the change.
I KNOW they're professionals, paid to do a job............but they're human as well.

No Confidence in Ron Martin or Phil Brown I predict bad times ahead I hope I am wrong.

Drastic™;1518299 said:
If new managers aren't chosen by their track records then how should they be chosen? Lucky Dip?

Well of course you PICK a manager based on track record, but that track record isn't a guarantee that the guy is going to get you promoted or win things and is therefore meaningless. Different managers produce different results at different clubs....No-one is a "sure thing".

Drastic™;1518299 said:
If the players are crap then why were we doing well until Christmas? Every team has a dip in form, ours was compounded by alot of injuries & embargos and the player's confidence & form has never recovered. Which is the one thing you would hope a new manager could affect this early.

Or you could say we had a 6 week "purple patch" between mid-November and end of December. The results outside of this period were mid-table form.

It seems a lot of people would like it if Sturrock were still in charge which to me is a bit strange. The guy had 3 seasons to take us up with what is rumoured to be a decent budget and backing to bring in loan players when we had injury problems. The Sturrock backers go on about what a hard job it is but there are few easy jobs at this level, you get the odd club that chuck money about, Crawley/Swindon, but other than that every job has its difficulties and financial constraints. In 3 seasons with a squad Sturrock assembled I think Ron was right to expect promotion. This wasn’t going to happen this season so I think Ron was right to make the change and give Brown the opportunity to assess the squad and identify who he wants to try and keep and what areas we need to strengthen. We played a direct style of football under Sturrock and if we are to change the new guy needs to know which players are versatile enough to play any new style that may be forthcoming before we go into a crucial transfer window this summer. I don’t remember one post calling for Sturrocks head until recently and our fans were willing to give him time to sort things out. Why are we not willing to give Brown time when he has inherited a team that were performing badly before he came and hasn’t had any time to make his mark? I am fully behind Brown, so what if he’s arrogant and has confidence in his own ability, perhaps he does see us as a stepping stone, but if he gets us up next season I don’t care and if that happens he has been a far more successful Southend Manager than Sturrock

People were not genuinely slating him only for being northern and having a ran. They are just easy jokes to make at his expense. What people were concerned about was his poor record in management save for one season and his lack of knowledge working on our kind of budget and in the lower leagues.

Actually the northern and tan thing are symptoms of two other genuine concerns - being based up north means a lot of his contacts are there. In lower leagues it can be difficult to pursuade people to relocate without paying them extra, and those players may find it harder to settle. He will also have little knowledge of the local non league scene.

The tan thing, whilst amusing also is part of what a lot of people fear about his character - self obsessed, likes the limelight himself - which doesn't bode well long term.

To suggest he is doomed to fail because people were against him at the start is nonsense. He will fail if he fails to win matches. The reason he is not winning matches at the moment is not due to some people's negativity on here.

Name a manager that was unpopular at the start - to succeed longterm!??

Although my gut says no, he deserves at least until January. If he signs some absolute gems pre-season, ties up some contracts with influential players and gets some very highly rated players off his mate Big Sam, then we could be stood in good stead for promotion next season. We just need to wait and see what unfolds.

Tilson came from the youth team and was a complete unknow quantity who turned out to be a great appointment. Luggy had a reputation as a fixer and rescued several teams in crisis (including us) in his time. As much as I loved Sturrock for what he did in picking this club up off the floor and rebuilding us from the ground up, maybe he just lacked that edge to get us the step further.

Brown is trying to turn around our dreadful form after a disappointing season with players no one is even sure he wants. It's not great circumstances to take over as manager in and it's no surprise we haven't started playing like a team yet, as this is the same squad who have struggled to play as a team for the best part of half a season.

I say let's get behind him for now until he genuinley gives us a reason not to. I, aswell as a few others on here don't particularly like him as a person, as I'm sure he would admit himself he's not the most likeable chap, but I'm sure that will change if he delivers the goods!

Back