• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How we have moved on from the past year is brilliant.
We are moaning at our top goal scorer with 11 goals?

I'd personally like to Harry given a go upfront from the start, he was unlucky with a shot that trickled passed the post yesterday, Harry and Blair upfront.

Or even start Sawyer in a real attacking role.

Its not so much moaning about Corr but about the fact he is the best we have to offer. Another transfer window drifted by and Sturrocks claims, live on radio, are a work of fiction. Corr having twelve goals is a testament to the number of opportunities created by the team as opposed to Corr as a finisher. He is our main striker and has missed an unacceptable number of chances. Coupled with the fact his goals have only won us points in six matches this season and it becomes clear the severity of the problem. We have a defender who had played park football up until this season and his goals return when played as striker makes a mockery of Corrs scoring prowess. If Bilel can make the most of opportunities created then maybe Paterson or Crawford might. Corr has not done enough to warrant instant inclusion or preference.

Its not so much moaning about Corr but about the fact he is the best we have to offer. Another transfer window drifted by and Sturrocks claims, live on radio, are a work of fiction. Corr having twelve goals is a testament to the number of opportunities created by the team as opposed to Corr as a finisher. He is our main striker and has missed an unacceptable number of chances. Coupled with the fact his goals have only won us points in six matches this season and it becomes clear the severity of the problem. We have a defender who had played park football up until this season and his goals return when played as striker makes a mockery of Corrs scoring prowess. If Bilel can make the most of opportunities created then maybe Paterson or Crawford might. Corr has not done enough to warrant instant inclusion or preference.

Wait a minute, I'm not having a go at anyone who is disapointed with Corr yesterday. What I am saying is, that I like the fact we are moaning that our top goal scorer with 12 isn't playing that well at the moment. It's nice after a year not moaning about players who are just not good enough.

Bilel is a necessity in the back four.
It's worked with Blair and Sturrock for a lot of our wins this season. We where just out done by two goals (shouldn't have counted) and the fact that nothing worked yesterday.

It's nicer having a moan that our 6 out of 9 wins has come to an end than about various other things.

Your last point re, he hasn't done enough. Do you mean in his general performance throughout the season or just the last couple?

Players have their off days at EVERY level. It happens.

Barry Barry Corrrrrrrrr!

Your last point re, he hasn't done enough. Do you mean in his general performance throughout the season or just the last couple?

I am saying he has not done enough all season. I still believe that a player with mobility, given the same run of games as Corr, would contribute more and score more. Corr is all height, but IMHO when we play to height we look poor and win little. Our best moves are when we keep the ball down, playing and passing through defences.

I was saying after about 5 games that we clearly need more mobile, speedy goalscorers. To be fair to Corr, he got no service, especially as we played with 1 winger. Having said that, he clearly looked unfit. Very selfish and annoying, demanding to start games when carrying injuries.
We were lucky the last few games that a defender has gone up front and done the job that our poor strikers can't. The defence and midfield is now strong, we just need Two good loan strikers, or a good Right winger and a speedy striker to partner Corr, as Corr will be better with Two wingers and no Blair.

I have to say that as the season has gone on I have been more and more impessed with Corr, he works hard for the team and has a good amount of goals. My problem is that PS has dedicated almost the whole of this season (apart from the odd injury period) to Corr and Blair - he has not given enough pitch time to Pato or Harry, therefore neither are seen as partners. By depending solely on Corr and Blair we have not scored enough goals imho and yesterdays game proved how poor we are up front when neither Corr or Blair are on their game.

At this moment in time Blair couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo and Barry looks unfit and not as motivated. We must swap it around more, bring Pato and Harry into the equation. We are not going to sign a 'brilliant' striker in the loan window - if we could have got one it would have been in the Jan transfer merry go round - but who wants to come to Southend who have been struggling until recently and still don't pay their players on time? Lets involve the resources we already have at the club.

I think Corr's lack of fitness/mobility is definetly hindering his recent performances and thats reflecting badly on him unfortunately. Its up to Sturrock to either put faith in Crawford/Pato on bringing in someone ahead of next Saturdays league match on loan. We have another series of Sat/Tues games coming up and we need a decent sized squad and IMO we need another attacking option!

Paterson is more intelligent footballing wise that Corr and Sawyer is more intelligent on a footballing level than most of the team put together. Has Corr played for Sturrock before? If so, he won't be dropped unless badly injured.

Paterson - an intelligent footballer? You have got to be joking. He is one of the least positionally aware players I have seen at Southend. He is skillful but his reading of a game is woeful. I agree that Sawyer is an intelligent footballer but your comment about Sturrock not dropping players that he knows is lazy and inaccurate. I get fed up of reading how everyone on the bench is brilliant and everyone on the pitch is rubbish - we've lost ONE GAME after a sustained winning run!

Last edited:
I am more fed up with watching the Corr/Sturrock combination up front. They are both slow and don't press or put any pressure on defenders. They both play the same game which is holding the ball/flick ons, but this means that they need a quick speedy partner with an eye for goal to play with. With them both being PS favourites we will no doubt be subjected to more of the same for most of the season, unless injuries to one or both come to our rescue. Probably the most non threatening strike force we have put out for many a year.

I am more fed up with watching the Corr/Sturrock combination up front. They are both slow and don't press or put any pressure on defenders. They both play the same game which is holding the ball/flick ons, but this means that they need a quick speedy partner with an eye for goal to play with. With them both being PS favourites we will no doubt be subjected to more of the same for most of the season, unless injuries to one or both come to our rescue. Probably the most non threatening strike force we have put out for many a year.

Shrewsbury had a player that seemed to fit your ideal ..........but he has been slated on this board all day for doing just that!!

I am more fed up with watching the Corr/Sturrock combination up front.
Agreed, but one of the best games, or at least half I have seen this season was home to Torquay. The link play between Simpson, Grant and Sturrock was terrific. Played on the floor and incredibly potent. Blair was in his element.

. I get fed up of reading how everyone on the bench is brilliant and everyone on the pitch is rubbish - we've lost ONE GAME after a sustained winning run!

Its not about losing one game, its about how many points we have already lost because of the misses from Corr. I repeat, his goals have earned us points in six games. Thats six out of twenty-eight.

Nice thread! Questioning whether our top scorer is worth sticking with. Yes he quite clearly has back problems and is playing through the pain barrier. But isn't that Sturrocks fault for not resting him? We have Pato and Harry, both with plenty of energy and potential to score goals if given the chance, sitting on the bench or not even in the squad.
If anything, we should be asking the same question of Corr's striking partner. I've lost count the amount of bad games Blair has had, yet still get's picked time after time.

Shrewsbury had a player that seemed to fit your ideal ..........but he has been slated on this board all day for doing just that!!

You must be talking about someone really class?

The fact that corr is carrying an injury and hasnt played as many games but has scored probably double what mr harold has highlites how **** matt harold actually is.

He worked hard against us and scored probably his best goal ever. That didnt stop him persistantly fouling and using his arms. On another day he would have seen red , infact on most days he would have seen red.

Barry corr is no world beater but with an injury he will still score 15-20 goals this season.

Matt harold will not...

Another ridiculous post. Have you actually watched Corr and Sturrock this season?

It's ludicrous to complain that they don't press as they are two of the hardest working forwards we've had at the club in years.

Another ridiculous post. Have you actually watched Corr and Sturrock this season?

It's ludicrous to complain that they don't press as they are two of the hardest working forwards we've had at the club in years.

Agreed.
Strangely enough, Corr done 3x times the amount of work compared to Blair yesterday. Probably too knackered to be deadly in front of goal. Unlike Blair, who is just rubbish in front of goal.
Blair has to be sub. We need to find a gem. Paterson ain't the answer, Crawford hasn't got a lot to open up defences, after that i'm struggling. I'd really like to see Sawyer played behind Corr, looking for those knock-downs and having to beat just one defender to shoot.

Double agreed, how we can knock a striker who has scored 12 goals in 19 games (as per the OS) is beyond me.

Back