• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

onceknownasrab

President
I have to question whether he is a help or a hindrance. He looks short of fitness, immobile and unless the ball its dropped right to him he would not spare a bead of sweat to get to it. Yes he has scored a few but he has missed more sitters than a blind assassin. In fact his goals have only got us points in six matches this season, five wins and a draw and thats if you credit him the winner at Barnet when we were already leading. I expect Paterson, given the same run of matches, could have equalled that tally and maybe have bettered it. Sturrock jr, who is not a goal scorer has earned us the points in four matches, three wins and a draw and he certainly does more for the team. I am not spouting just because we lost today. I am quite frustrated at the mo with the way we are going. What happened to the signings PS assured us of before the end of January. These promises were a part of the old regime that I hoped were over. Tilly had his favourites that were always on the team sheet no matter what and I think PS is the same. I know we enjoyed a little run of success lately but even then we looked less than convincing often. If we stick with Corr we can kiss any outside hopes for the play-offs goodbye. This has gone from a question to a rant.

Corr has been struggling with a back injury for some time, but he's far more of a presence than Paterson who, although skilful, does not seem to want it enough. I had hoped that we'd get another striker in during the window as I fear Bazza won't last the season. Here's hoping for a loanee from somewhere, but one with a bit more bite than German.

Yes, absolutely. We don't have anyone else with the physical aerial capability of Corr. Problem is, as it has been from the beginning, that we also don't have anyone to play off him, and when Sturrock is playing a more forward role they just don't seem to work together. Obviously yesterday was also not helped by the giants in Shrewsbury's defence and the high wind....we should have adapted our play to try and play through them or round them which we didn't seem to do until Sawyer and Crawford came on. There is just no point pumping high balls forward under the conditions we had yesterday, not Corr's fault at all, although as Rob says, he's been carrying an injury for some time and certainly in the last two matches I've been surprised not to see him subbed.

i think with Paterson and Sawyer in the starting 11 we would be scoring more goals. Paterson is more intelligent footballing wise that Corr and Sawyer is more intelligent on a footballing level than most of the team put together. Has Corr played for Sturrock before? If so, he won't be dropped unless badly injured.

i think with Paterson and Sawyer in the starting 11 we would be scoring more goals. Paterson is more intelligent footballing wise that Corr and Sawyer is more intelligent on a footballing level than most of the team put together. Has Corr played for Sturrock before? If so, he won't be dropped unless badly injured.

Not having a pop a sturrock are you!!!

I haven't been to many matches this season as I'm an exile but when I went to the Barnet game the other week I said within 5 mins to one of my friends that we need a true no.10. A quick pacey striker who can play off the big man, get the flick ons and weigh in with 15-20 goals.

Sturrock & Corr as a partnership does not work, both play too deep.

I think Corr is more than useful at this level, think people are shooting off a bit too much on him at the moment he is lacking a bit of fitness due to injuries picked up. He will get 15 goals a season at this level.

Sturrock I actually feel would be better utilized as a right sided midfielder. He's a hard worker who links up play well, I seem to recall we had Lee Bradbury play a role like that when we got promotion to Championship.

Based on his performance yesterday, then no, he must have been wearing boots made from cement as he didn't seem capable of jumping. But he's our top scorer and worth persisting with. People say that Sturrock (and Tilly) has favourites, but all managers have players who'll be first on their teamsheets.

It is fair enough to say that Corr is lacking fitness, however that has been Corr's entire career. We can all say when he is fit he will score 15+ but he will never be fit!! He assured us when he signed the fitness problems were behind him, evidently this is not true.
I am not slating him or PS but surely if he is not fit, you play those that are until Corr is ready all guns blazing, I learnt this at Sunday League level and these guys are professionals.
I hope this is only a niggle and can be cleared up, but what about the next injury and the one after that. It's like having Barnard all over again except not the guarentee to work his socks off when he is on the pitch!!

[But he's our top scorer and worth persisting with.

Really? I defy anyone on here to say that he is not lazy and wasteful. Yes 9 league goals but that is a very poor return for the positions he has been found in and opportunities he has spurned. Think back. Does the phrase 'Corr and shoots wide' not come to mind more readily than 'Corr and goal'? If he is the best we have got then I am appalled. One thing is for sure I would rather have Harrold here and the fans that rounded on him should be ashamed of themselves and realise things could have been worse, we could have had Corr.

I am happy with the defence in general, although we could do with a bit of cover as Phillips seems to have dissapeared, and with Mohsni injured again. Midfield is pretty good, and when on form, Grant, Easton, Sawyer, Hall, Ferdinand are probably one of the best in the division, however up front we are woefully short.

Corr, Crawford, Sturrock and Patterson are not a front 4 that would strike terror into many defences. This area of the pitch should of had a major overhaul in the January window and with Spencer going it was an ideal opportunity to do so.

I hope that Sturrock has a couple of loan signings up his sleeve, otherwise we are going to be hovering mid-lower table for the rest of the season.

I have to question whether he is a help or a hindrance. He looks short of fitness, immobile and unless the ball its dropped right to him he would not spare a bead of sweat to get to it. Yes he has scored a few but he has missed more sitters than a blind assassin.
I'd prefer to look at it from the point of view that if he is missing sitters, at least it means he's getting into the right positions. I'd much rather that than a striker who is shy to get into goalscoring areas in the first place.

To be honest I'm astonished there's a thread vilifying our top scorer. Corr has 11 goals so far and at the start of the season several on here predicted none of our strikers would reach double figures.

Having said all that, it's clear that Corr does need a rest as he's almost certainly playing through the pain barrier, whether it's his knee or back (or both). In most games this season he's won a large percentage of headers and held the ball up really well but he won virtually none yesterday or in the Oxford game, where he also seemed laboured.

The only problem is, there's not really anyone to replace him at the moment. Sturrock and Paterson are both link men, Mohsni could be a long-term injury and Crawford doesn't look up to it yet. We could do with a loanee in the Corr mould asap, though a striker with pace would be a bonus as well.

Hmmm... I see your point, but the fact Corr has scored 11 I would put down to our striong midfield (and against Barnet poor defending). Imagine if we had a player with a bit more fitness and passion would we not have won far more?

I for one feel that even though he is our top scorer, and I appreciate what has done, he has cost us points many times for the horrendous misses he has made. 11 could easily be 20 already.

Corr should start with another up front. Blairs finishing is woeful. Someone with a bit of pace, a fox in the box would complement Corr well.

Ridiculous thread IMO.

He didn't have a good game by any stretch of the imagination, but has more than shown his value to the team this season. Are those slagging him off the same as those who drove Harrold out of the club and were then surprised when the player they'd called rubbish continually got the better of Mohsni and Barker?

As a keen follower of the '15 goals this season' bet, I feel compelled to point out that Bazza has bagged a dozen thus far (not eleven, as stated by posters earlier). :YB:

If he is fully fit he is well worth sticking with. I wonder just how fit he is, or if he convinces the boss he is fit when he isn't 100%.

During some matches when he has played from the start he seems to wilt --- never trying to closes defenders down when they have the ball and , as Harry says, appears to be playing with concrete boots on and never jumps to win headers.

I understand players wanting to play but they must realise if they play when un-fit it lets everyone down. ( Not accusing Corr of doing this ).

Hmmm... I see your point, but the fact Corr has scored 11 I would put down to our striong midfield (and against Barnet poor defending). Imagine if we had a player with a bit more fitness and passion would we not have won far more?

I for one feel that even though he is our top scorer, and I appreciate what has done, he has cost us points many times for the horrendous misses he has made. 11 could easily be 20 already.

show me a striker who never misses a chance and who wants to play for southend, and i'd be more convnced by this. Corr's an odd player who can often drift out of games, but he's done enough this season to more than justify his place when fit. I'd trust him over any of our other options there to put a chance away.

Back