• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hopefully this is just Anton and his agent exercising the leverage at their disposal in a negotiation which will end happily for all involved.

On the off-chance that it isn't, this season should have taught us that an experienced leader with top-level experience at the back is worth every bit as much as a difference maker up front. Hard to see who we might get in of similar stature or quality but in the event of Anton leaving our willingness to try and replace like-for-like will reveal a lot about the scope of our ambitions in the short term.

Hopefully this is just Anton and his agent exercising the leverage at their disposal in a negotiation which will end happily for all involved.

On the off-chance that it isn't, this season should have taught us that an experienced leader with top-level experience at the back is worth every bit as much as a difference maker up front. Hard to see who we might get in of similar stature or quality but in the event of Anton leaving our willingness to try and replace like-for-like will reveal a lot about the scope of our ambitions in the short term.

With the wonder vision of hindsight maybe this should have been tied up at Christmas with an 18 month contract?

PB mentioned at the AGM that Anton had bought a house in Billericay, so that might help him in deciding to stay.

Not sure of that. He's probably made enough money is his career to consider it an investment property should a better offer come along from somewhere else. He'll just move on and rent it out should he need to.

With the wonder vision of hindsight maybe this should have been tied up at Christmas with an 18 month contract?

I'd be surprised if this is the first mention from club to player about the possibility of extension. Anton will reasonably have wanted to use the leverage at his disposal, including a bit of brinkmanship, and the club may have wished to monitor how his fitness held up over the season before making big decisions. We are where we are.

I think he was fundamentally important in the improvement of Thompson, and our defence as a whole.
Personally I would move heaven and earth to sign him for at least 2 years, if he wants the security of a longer deal...why not, his presence at the club will only improve the youngsters as well.

Careful, he may sign for Millwall......:whistling:

Maybe he'll take Barrett's coaching position on merit, the manager will lose the dressing room and they'll enter a death spiral culminating in the ignominy of a seventh place finish. :winking:

Hope he signs for another year. I just hope he doesn't have too many games like MK Dons at home. To be fair that was a bit of a one off.

I can't see him signing a new contract. His been able to play regular football after a blackspot on his career, which I believe was his main objective and proved he can manage his injuries. I think at this stage of his career he'll go to the highest bidder.

I'll throw it out there and say I think Anton is the clubs highest earner. I don't think we could afford the luxury of him being backup just because he adds value to the team.

I said to my mate after the Bury game that Anton was very emotional, he was also waving to the crowd in which I thought was a goodbye manner.

I think he's been surprised at how much he's enjoyed his time at Southend. There's no doubt a number of factors to that. Never having been a huge fan, I've been pleasantly surprised at the difference he made to the side, particularly at how Thompson has come on along side him.

I hope he can be persuaded to sign a new contract, there is no doubt from Instagram how well he gets on with a number of the others, and, as already mentioned, he has bought a place in Billericay recently. I guess it all depends what you want at this stage of your career.

Just a thought, IF his Championship team days are over then he would probably want to play for a team that has a real prospect of going for promotion out of FL1 next season. There may well be ambitious Chairmen in FL2 who would be prepared to flash wads of cash at him, but even at this stage of his career he still has pride at the level of football he can play at. So....a team that have the nucleus of a very decent set of players, a crowd who would welcome him without much reservation, a physio team capable of keeping him mostly match fit and then bung in a potentially explosive forward who when fit could grace the Championship with ease and another who has rediscovered his form and appetite for the game this season. Those descriptions sound vaguely familiar............................

I think having Ferdinand at the club has sent out the message that we are serious and mean business. If Anton wishes to stay - great. If not? Lets continue to go for players of his experience, quality and standing in the game.

One of his biggest strengths he has bought to the side is the partnership that him and Thomson have got together. I've always liked Thommo but he has come on leaps and bounds this season. Thommo has outperformed him on numerous occasions but there styles compliment each other so well. I can't think of a better central defender partnership in the last 15 years!

I'd be happy for him to stay for another season; it's been clear to see that he made a difference the moment he took over the captaincy. He may not be quick and may be prone to injury, and did look tired toward the end of this campaign, but he pulls the strings. The guy may not be the 'sharpest of tools' but seeing him this past season it clear he has a good footballing brain...

If we can get him in the best possible shape during pre-season then he will continue to be a real asset to the side, right now I'd like to see continuity - meaning he remains captain, he continues to develop the likes of Thompson, and whichever players come into the side, and also the young fringe players that I would hope we can nurture and bring into the seniors next season.

Anton ! You're hired !!

One of his biggest strengths he has bought to the side is the partnership that him and Thomson have got together. I've always liked Thommo but he has come on leaps and bounds this season. Thommo has outperformed him on numerous occasions but there styles compliment each other so well. I can't think of a better central defender partnership in the last 15 years!

Assume you're not including SZFC1:winking:

Back