• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'd be happy for him to stay for another season; it's been clear to see that he made a difference the moment he took over the captaincy. He may not be quick and may be prone to injury, and did look tired toward the end of this campaign, but he pulls the strings. The guy may not be the 'sharpest of tools' but seeing him this past season it clear he has a good footballing brain...

If we can get him in the best possible shape during pre-season then he will continue to be a real asset to the side, right now I'd like to see continuity - meaning he remains captain, he continues to develop the likes of Thompson, and whichever players come into the side, and also the young fringe players that I would hope we can nurture and bring into the seniors next season.

Anton ! You're hired !!

Reference "sharpest of tools", Anton seems just a normal bloke when I've spoken with him.
If you talk with Frank Bruno you quickly realise he IS smart as he takes his time and thinks things over before answering, Anton is similar in that he is mature and careful in his discourse.
Defo HIRED!

Blues boss Brown to meet twice with Ferdinand in next three days

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown will meet Anton Ferdinand twice in three days in a bid to keep the defender at the club.

More...

No one player is bigger than the team, however influential they happen to be. For that reason IMO he isn't key to our success next season.

What's to say that should he leave that PB couldn't get someone of the same calibre as a replacement? That said, it makes life a whole lot easier if he stays because we don't have to try and get someone else in.

I'd like to see Anton stay. Loss of pace maybe, but I never thought he was one of the quickest. Like to see him paired up with someone younger to help bring on. Footballing brain is there at this level. Like to think he's helped with the hole left by Barrett in his pomp. Other teams will be looking I think, but we had a good push for the play offs and I hope he would think about staying with the right signings, which we could bring in if he stays. Might be in a minority here too but would like Ranger here as long as he can stay away from HMP!

Absolutely keep him and I think he'll stay. He's been inspirational since he joined us. He's got such a good footballing brain which makes up for the loss of his speed. I personally think he still has a couple of years left in him at this level and Championship. Full credit to our back room team for keeping him fit bearing in mind he had no pre season. I good pre season will no doubt do him wonders. His family also live up the road in London (I'm guessing), he's just had a child, if the money is right, why move your family away from where they're settled knowing you only have a couple of years left in professional football.

I would like to know if Anton had other offers last year - before PB gave him a fresh start?
If he did then that changes my emotion; if he didn't, then he, (Anton) ought to factor in some thanks and recognition that PB maybe is "owed" some debt.
Unless BIG money differences are made to Anton he OUGHT to be signing for at least a year and options.

I've always been a pessimist, and in January I told my son we'd miss the play-offs by a point. So, I think Ferdinand will leave.

I would like to know if Anton had other offers last year - before PB gave him a fresh start?
If he did then that changes my emotion; if he didn't, then he, (Anton) ought to factor in some thanks and recognition that PB maybe is "owed" some debt.
Unless BIG money differences are made to Anton he OUGHT to be signing for at least a year and options.

I doubt he was offered anything to be honest. He was a crock at Reading and judging by his performance this year, you have to question Reading's back room staff. I also seem to remember that PB was contacted by his agent, so again, I doubt any serious offers were fourth coming. The problem now of course, he's just captained a Lg 1 side who have just missed out on the play offs and he's had a blinder and played most games. Other clubs will look at that but I still can't see him going.

Absolutely keep him and I think he'll stay. He's been inspirational since he joined us. He's got such a good footballing brain which makes up for the loss of his speed. I personally think he still has a couple of years left in him at this level and Championship. Full credit to our back room team for keeping him fit bearing in mind he had no pre season. I good pre season will no doubt do him wonders. His family also live up the road in London (I'm guessing), he's just had a child, if the money is right, why move your family away from where they're settled knowing you only have a couple of years left in professional football.

anton has bought a house in Billericay..........?. cox bought one in Benfleet..........?.

anton has bought a house in Billericay..........?. cox bought one in Benfleet..........?.

I didn't know that. Sounds like they're both settled in the area. Nice locations as well. On that bit of information, why would either want to move if they like playing for the club and enjoy it. It's funny you mention Cox, he's another that other clubs will be looking at after scoring 16 goals this season.

He lives in Billericay, moved here a few months ago.

Only offered a one-year contract - suspect he may leave........

I imagine Anton has got several houses and rents them out. He's hardly short of a few quid.

I doubt he was offered anything to be honest. He was a crock at Reading and judging by his performance this year, you have to question Reading's back room staff. I also seem to remember that PB was contacted by his agent, so again, I doubt any serious offers were fourth coming. The problem now of course, he's just captained a Lg 1 side who have just missed out on the play offs and he's had a blinder and played most games. Other clubs will look at that but I still can't see him going.

I have no insider knowledge, but I wonder how much Ben Clarkson had to do with this? I know its his job to keep the players fit , but I just get the idea that he does a much better than average job of it

Yes, I noticed that, and all the other players being offered new deals were for two years. I could imagine Anton being a bit annoyed at that, could well be that he joins another club.

Any other details of the offer? I would hope there would be a play 25 games and activate a further year clause etc; plus renegotiate if we change division or a Chump team puts in an offer etc.

Back