• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unless your name is Neil Harris and you get 3 years
I'd imagine that the idea with that one was always to do a Coughlan and gradually integrate himself into the coaching system. When Millwall's interest in giving him a similar/better role there became clear that was good for both parties.

I think a one-year deal is fair. It's hardly been plain sailing for him this season.

As said before, hopefully the club have considered an extension clause for appearances made.

To answer the original question, no he isn't.
From what I've seen, we are at our best when Anthony Wordsworth is on top form.
Getting him on top form consistently is this issue.

Current preferred outfield players and ages at start of next season assuming we keep everyone we want.
Demetriou 29, Thomson 24, Ferdinand 32 Coker 28: Atkinson 28, Leonard 25, Wordsworth28, McLaughlin 27; Cox 30, Ranger 26.
Subs: Fortune 36, Timlin 32, White 31, McGlashan 29, Robinson 28. ( 15 players average age 28.9 in August)

Probably the oldest ( most experienced?) squad in the division. The older you get the slower you get and injuries take longer to heal.

I am sure that there is a more than adequate centre half available if Ferdinand doesn't sign. The Ranger, Wordsworth, Coker injury scenarios are a lot more critical to any success.

We need some fresh young legs from somewhere.

Current preferred outfield players and ages at start of next season assuming we keep everyone we want.
Demetriou 29, Thomson 24, Ferdinand 32 Coker 28: Atkinson 28, Leonard 25, Wordsworth28, McLaughlin 27; Cox 30, Ranger 26.
Subs: Fortune 36, Timlin 32, White 31, McGlashan 29, Robinson 28. ( 15 players average age 28.9 in August)

Probably the oldest ( most experienced?) squad in the division. The older you get the slower you get and injuries take longer to heal.

I am sure that there is a more than adequate centre half available if Ferdinand doesn't sign. The Ranger, Wordsworth, Coker injury scenarios are a lot more critical to any success.

we were the 4th oldest squad. notice "Experience does seem to have paid off more often than not this season: four of the final top eight are in the “oldest” row and three of the four relegated sides are in the “youngest”."

https://experimental361.com/2017/04/30/squad-age-profiles-league-1-201617/

Has had a positive influence on and off the pitch, so for that reason he's been important to us. So, should be signed up again if possible. I'm sure at his stage of a career, not looking for more than a year at a time. Knows he can't play every game, I'm sure he's willing to play his part, what ever that may be. A must to have around next season. It's about making sure we keep our quality (Anton is in that group) and only adding quality if available. Goalkeeper, Center Mid and Center back.

Come on that's not that old. A lot of those players would be classed as being at their prime age (mid-late twenties).

Come on that's not that old. A lot of those players would be classed as being at their prime age (mid-late twenties).

The peak age for a male is 28, its when your at your strongest. Sounds like our squad is perfect then.

The peak age for a male is 28, its when your at your strongest. Sounds like our squad is perfect then.
So no one will get injured next season then! The key to doing well is having a core of 5 or 6 players who play over 40 games.

So no one will get injured next season then! The key to doing well is having a core of 5 or 6 players who play over 40 games.

What is your point ? You conveniently forgot Ted Smith in your pointless stats. He landed awkwardly and injured himself age 21. Someone landed on Rangers ankle and injured him age 26 . Wordsworth tore his hamstring age 28. Fortune got through he season age 36.

Players get injured whatever age they are and It often has nothing to do with fitness levels. It happens to every team every year no matter what average age their squad is. Some seasons you can be lucky and have very few injuries and you end up winning at Wembley on a penalty shoot out after your 3 subs combined to get 121st minute equaliser whilst the opposition struggled because they had lost some key players towards the end of the season. Other times you lose 7 players in a week and lose the last 4 out of 5 games and miss out on the play-offs. You just have to accept its part of the game and enjoy the moments when it goes your way and not look to blame someone when it doesn't.

Back