• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is it just me?? - England!!

Kevin Hogg

President
I have listened to all the experts in the media say that Roy Hodgson should experiment for the Chile and Germany games as they are opportunities to have a look at different players etc..before Brazil in the Summer. I disagree and last night I feel was proof. Roy has been manager for over a year. He knows the players. With three games to go..why would you not play as near to your starting eleven as possible? In all three games? A consistent team. If you blood youngsters it should be within the first team. What is the point of saying to Llallana "well done son, you are an England player" and then select the reserves? He then gets his cap but looks around..and the England team is not in the tunnel..but the wannabee's! So he has not played for England. Select your strongest team..always. That means any young player is not an experiment..but worthy of his international cap!!

Geoff Hurst played his first England game a few months before the 1966 World Cup and that turned out fine.

I don't get your point. You say that Hodgson has been there over a year so he should know the players that are already there, yet you say in the same sentence that he needs to play his strongest team - the one he already knows.

If he just plays the same 11 for every game and then someone gets injured before the tournament, what will he do if he hasn't seen any of these players in action.

You said last night was proof, of what? So we lost to a full strength Chile side (minus Vidal) therefore we shouldn't see what options he has.

Those players got there on merit, Lallana and Rodriguez have been superb for Southampton so far this season. Jones and Smalling are going to be our future defenders too. Apart from that it was a strong line-up, with Wilshere and Lampard both having poor games IMO.

These two friendlies are about seeing who else should be on the plane to Rio. We can't just take 11 players to the tournament. We need good squad rotation and backup for injuries and suspension.

Problem is, we have so many good young players coming through who deserve a chance in an England shirt, that if we don't play an experimental young/fringe team like last night, they won't get a chance to show what they can do. You say that we should blood players within the first team, but surely to blood every single youngster who deserves a chance we'd need to play about 12 friendlies between now and Rio with a maximum of 2 young players in each starting 11. It just isn't feasible.

Remember it's not just the games that matter. Once a player is in the squad, Roy gets to work closely with them, see what they're like as a character and put them through their paces in training. That should give him a better idea as to whether he sees that player in his future plans.

Geoff Hurst played his first England game a few months before the 1966 World Cup and that turned out fine.

I don't get your point. You say that Hodgson has been there over a year so he should know the players that are already there, yet you say in the same sentence that he needs to play his strongest team - the one he already knows.

If he just plays the same 11 for every game and then someone gets injured before the tournament, what will he do if he hasn't seen any of these players in action.

You said last night was proof, of what? So we lost to a full strength Chile side (minus Vidal) therefore we shouldn't see what options he has.

Those players got there on merit, Lallana and Rodriguez have been superb for Southampton so far this season. Jones and Smalling are going to be our future defenders too. Apart from that it was a strong line-up, with Wilshere and Lampard both having poor games IMO.

Story of his 100 caps for England. Really hope he doesn't go to Brazil.

You would expect a club manager to be bringing in a couple of new players every year, just because Roy's been there a year doesn't mean he should stick with his favorite XI, we lost, we were always going to lose, but the result doesn't matter in a friendly. If even one player can prove himself to be worthy of playing in the world cup then the friendly is worth it because it strengthens the team. Blooding new players in a friendly is essentially no different to Phil Brown fielding trialists in friendlies. If Lallana was thrown in at the deep end Hodgson would have no idea how he would do and so wouldn't play him. By doing this we can see which of the new boys are worth flying to the world cup and which should stay at home.
You say it's 'only three games off' but that's actually 7 months away, there is no way you can keep your form for 7 months whilst playing only three games so I'd prefer that Roy experiments so he has a plan B for the world cup rather than get a meaningless win to keep the media happy.

:net: Surely?! :omg:

No not a wind up. He is not even half the player Gerrard is. He wouldn't have as many goals if he wasn't the penalty taker at Chelsea or if was at Chelsea as they get penalties for tackles on the half way line. And now on SSN they are talking about John Terry going to Brazil! If that happens I will lose all respect I have for Hodgson and I highly rate him as a manager.

No not a wind up. He is not even half the player Gerrard is. He wouldn't have as many goals if he wasn't the penalty taker at Chelsea or if was at Chelsea as they get penalties for tackles on the half way line. And now on SSN they are talking about John Terry going to Brazil! If that happens I will lose all respect I have for Hodgson and I highly rate him as a manager.

Agree that he's not as good as Stevie G but still think he's a great player. Despite being so highly rated, I still think Gerrard is massively underrated. The role he's taken up with Liverpool this season as a deep-lying playmaker is perfect. He can put a ball on a postage stamp from 35 yards!

I'm not a great fan of JT's (more for his off field activities than anything else) but there's no doubt we could have used him last night and he'd be invaluable in Brazil.

Would also agree that Gerrard is a much better player than Lampard though still think we'll need both in the World Cup.

Bit harsh on Lampard there. He might be Chelsea's penalty taker, but hasn't Gerrard also been Liverpool's?

I think Lampard is a top professional who has shown over the years he has the ability to play at the highest level. Sadly I think he is one of those from the so-called "Golden Generation" that failed to live up to expectations and his performances lately haven't been great for England. I think he will be on the plane to Brazil and that will be his final international tournament along with Gerrard and Cole.

Fair points. I still think that too many changes mean the new lads do not get a feel for being in the actual England team. If Roy played nine of his first eleven in each friendly, six new players plus maybe a sub or two get to show what they can do. But what they can do, surrounded by regular first choice players. Not what they can do in a never before tried team, with an experimental feel. How can you judge players under those circumstances? As admitted by ..Roy Hodgson! You can't!

You've also got to remember that a lot of players get 'injuries' before friendlies and then miraculously recover for their clubs game the next couple of days. And people like Wenger and Ferguson (obviously not anymore) dictating the length they will allow their players to play.

Maybe start the first 45 with the team he wants to play in Brazil and experiment in the second half?

You've also got to remember that a lot of players get 'injuries' before friendlies and then miraculously recover for their clubs game the next couple of days. And people like Wenger and Ferguson (obviously not anymore) dictating the length they will allow their players to play.

Maybe start the first 45 with the team he wants to play in Brazil and experiment in the second half?
like you did many years ago ,when you played Australia in a friendly ,experimental team 1st half , your normal team second half, the day Harry Kewell tore you apart in Australias 3-1 win,and your press tore the manager to shreds, Good way of losing your job i s/pose

Chile looked a very decent team,They retained the ball beautifully and made our defence resemble statues.

Roy IMO must never select Lampard,Smalling and Milner EVER again,Frank has had his time and age has caught up with him whilst the other two are not good enough.

Chile looked a very decent team,They retained the ball beautifully and made our defence resemble statues.

Roy IMO must never select Lampard,Smalling and Milner EVER again,Frank has had his time and age has caught up with him whilst the other two are not good enough.

I agree on Lampard and Milner but bit harsh on Smalling he is only young and a huge prospect for the future.

I agree on Lampard and Milner but bit harsh on Smalling he is only young and a huge prospect for the future.

If Smalling played for one of the lesser prem clubs would he be selected then?

Like who? He isn't playing for a 'lesser' premiership club because Manchester United have seen his talent and signed him.

Just being at Man Utd isnt justification to be in the England set up.

They sign players for the future, that doesnt mean they are ready now.

He played for Fulham when he was 18 and was fantastic. IMO he hasn't made more international caps because he has been unlucky with injuries, but he did nothing wrong in the game.

Back