• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is it just me?? - England!!

Daniel Sturridge's woeful performance got me thinking, who was the last Liverpool player who was any good for England?

I thought Rob Jones, but he only got 8 caps.

Barnes and Gerrard have been tremendous disappointments at the international level.

Carragher was way out of his depth.

Stanley appeared all too fleetingly. Fowler, McManaman never really did it.

Beardsley, who'd been a success whilst at Newcastle got dropped whilst at Liverpool.

Glenn Johnson wasn't a success. Neil Ruddock **shudders**

I thought Henderson did ok last night btw. Played one lovely ball to Sturridge.

Ray Clemence was a fine keeper for Liverpool and England imo.

Michael Owen had his moments ... 38 of them, I think.

Knew there had to be someone!

Scored 24 goals for England whilst at Liverpool, but this was probably his peak rather than at Real Madrid or afterwards.

Anyone else I'm missing?

One player in 30 years seems to be an incredibly poor return.

Was Phil Neal any good for England? Although he was also 30 years ago.

Scored 24 goals for England whilst at Liverpool, but this was probably his peak rather than at Real Madrid or afterwards.

Anyone else I'm missing?

Roger Hunt if you want to go back even further, I doubt any english Liverpool player will achieve what he did anytime soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Hunt

Anyone else I'm missing?

I didn't particularly rate Neal but he could certainly take a penalty.

In the 22 man squad for the 66 wc Liverpool had both wingers too . Callaghan and Thompson as well as Hunt. But Sir Alfs side were known as the wingless wonders so the didn't play much.
Since then Clemence , Hughes and Keegan did quite a bit for England...

In the 22 man squad for the 66 wc Liverpool had both wingers too . Callaghan and Thompson as well as Hunt. But Sir Alfs side were known as the wingless wonders so the didn't play much.
And let's not forget Sammy Lee and his goal against Cyprus in '82.

And let's not forget Sammy Lee and his goal against Cyprus in '82.

Yes, but what in the last 30 years?

I think we're missing a bit of what Terry used to give us (aerial presence, bit of strength in the middle, casual racism) but I can't imagine he'll be getting a recall.

If he did come back I wonder what kind of reception he'd get.

Obviously over 30 years ago but Kevin Keegan is deserving of a mention.

I always felt that Danny Murphy did well in his 10 or so caps. Much better in thoise few caps than Gerrard has been in his 108.

Bit harsh on Gerrard, if you said Lampard I would agree.

Yes, but what in the last 30 years?

I've never quite been able to put my finger on it, but there's something not quite right with England and Liverpool. Martin Samuel nails it pretty well in the Mail today though.

"Daniel Sturridge (below) says he has no regrets about playing for England against Germany, even though it cost him a starting place in the Merseyside derby.
Big mistake. One of the reasons many Liverpool fans never took to Michael Owen was the belief that he put his international career first.
Star turn: Daniel Sturridge says he has no regrets over playing for England, despite his fitness worries
They treat their football team like a republic up there. Any player who expresses a desire to represent England is suspected of disloyalty.
Meanwhile, Luis Suarez is free to return to Uruguay and slag off the club. Strange.
"

I certainly knew Liverpool fans in the 90s who preferred England to fail when the team was so stacked with Man Utd players (Beckham, Scholes, the Nevilles, Sheringham, etc).

I've never quite been able to put my finger on it, but there's something not quite right with England and Liverpool. Martin Samuel nails it pretty well in the Mail today though.

"Daniel Sturridge (below) says he has no regrets about playing for England against Germany, even though it cost him a starting place in the Merseyside derby.
Big mistake. One of the reasons many Liverpool fans never took to Michael Owen was the belief that he put his international career first.
Star turn: Daniel Sturridge says he has no regrets over playing for England, despite his fitness worries
They treat their football team like a republic up there. Any player who expresses a desire to represent England is suspected of disloyalty.
Meanwhile, Luis Suarez is free to return to Uruguay and slag off the club. Strange.
"

I certainly knew Liverpool fans in the 90s who preferred England to fail when the team was so stacked with Man Utd players (Beckham, Scholes, the Nevilles, Sheringham, etc).

It might well be that Scousers see themselves as more Irish in heritage than English?

Back