• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is it just me  that finds this stupid?

lee_sufc

Coach
Leeds United have issued a statement of apology after fans failed to respect the minute's silence for George Best prior to their clash with Millwall.

A minute's silence was held at every football ground at the weekend in memory of Manchester United legend Best who passed away on Friday.

However, some sections of Leeds fans failed to observe the silence and now the club are hoping to liaise with Millwall in identifying the perpetrators.

"Leeds United are disappointed at the reaction of a minority of fans who failed to observe the period of silence at Millwall," read a club statement.

"We certainly do not condone this kind of response and feel those responsible have let the club down.

"We apologise to all who were offended by such a response and we have already been in touch with Millwall to see if there is anything they can do to identify those responsible."

Is it just me, or is this completely rediculous? Whats the point in "identifying those responsible?" It is a free world and out of the thousands of people attending that match, there will be people who don't like him / don't want to stand in silence.

I think all this George Best attention is well over the top - as CC Siders said in a previous post, there are people like the Rally driver Burns who died of a brain tumour - he was only in his 30's and didn't plan for that but I haven't seen 1 sports channel show ANYTHING about it!!

there was a small bit in the times about Burns, could have been one of the great rally drivers, my condolences are with his family

Best was a great footballer, but he was also a p%&sed up wife beater who did not deserve the liver he was given. Someone probably died because of him. The press, like always, have gone over the top and everyone seems to be jumping on the band wagon.

A 1 minute silence should be a one minute silence, not none of this clapping rubbish. If people want to boo, sing songs or not pay respects or keep silent while there is one then fine, that is their choice.

sad news about Richard Burns, i see no minutes silence for him, oh yeah i forgot he doesn't play football

I would imagine thats because Burns wasn't argueably one of the best ever competitors in one of the biggest sports in the world.
I'm not into rallying so don't really know much about it but I would not think it strange to have a minutes silence for Burns at the next rally.
Yes Best did waste another liver but alcoholism isn't a choice its an addiction, the reason its called an addiction is that the person in question is physically and/or mentally dependent on it.
I would imagine in Argentina there would be a minutes silence for Maradona when he dies and he disgraced the country while he was actually still playing.
The silence wasn't in respect of how he conducted his life after he retired from football, it was a minutes silence in respect of the immense talent and skill he bought to the game in the 60's.
If people don't give a damm and dont respect him why can't they accept that other people might want to pay their respects rather then ruining it for them.

Its a free country in my eyes and if you dont like the bloke then you shouldnt have to observe a mintues silence.

Personally I didn't like him. Great player for sure but anyone that keep drinking after being told they will die if they do loses all my respect and I dont see why I should have to mourn a drunk.

Harsh but thats they way I feel.
ghostface.gif

Back