• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Time for action?

• Total voters
Shrimperzone has been very interesting this week. Some people are getting more delusional by the day. How exactly do you propose to oust someone from a business he owns and you have absolutely no claim to what so ever.

See what happens when Sainsburys come for their cash, I don't know the amount, but I'm told they have not just written it off.

This is a pointless poll. What difference does it actually make? Look at our past owners history !!! They're all the same!... Same ******** since the 80's.

My point being, Ron ain't going anywhere soon (or ever)!.. The only small chance of change is Phil.

Which one of you who voted yes is coming up with the necessary cash that will be required. Until you get that, nothing can be done.
I'll vote yes when you have the cash ready.

I'd vote no. We're having a bad run on the field so everyone starts turning on the chairman? Don't see him picking the team or playing at centre half.
We're 15 million quid in the red and have been for a while. Last thing we need is getting rid of the Chairman - or the debt will have to be paid up. Unless a sugar daddy appears - who would need to be a fan otherwise it's commercial suicide - we're better off with old Ron than without him as he knows where the bodies are buried. If we get taken over by someone who THINKS they know what they are doing, in 3 months time it will be case of "oh crap - I thought this was sortable, but actually we're going bust".
You want "answers" but you don't know the questions.

This will need planning
A disorganised rabble hurling time honoured cliches will just make us look like any other group of football fans who start moaning when results go against them so, Lets ha e a list of atangible things that need to be done and as the list grows anyone who can assist in a heiving that goal can add their name and the assistance they can provide.
Can someone who is drving the idea start with a few of the objectives they have in mind .

Any action not backed by a considerable amount of money is utterly pointless. I recall standing in the car park shouting during the Jobson years. All that happened was that I missed an hour's drinking time, Webby left anyway and we wasted a once in a lifetime chance to get into the Premier League.

If I was forced to vote this very second, I would vote 'no' because there is no definition of what "action" is to be taken.

I will not be party to protesting, sit-ins, match boycotting or any physical activity (legal or otherwise) against the club/players/staff/board/etc, whether on or off the pitch, on or not on match days.

For me, "action" has to be dialog between the club hierarchy and "the fans", or representatives of the fans (the Trust). But for that dialog to be meaningful, two-way discussion, we (the fans) need to have something meaningful to bring to the table. I'm afraid I don't see what that something is.

Shrimperzone has been very interesting this week. Some people are getting more delusional by the day. How exactly do you propose to oust someone from a business he owns and you have absolutely no claim to what so ever.

I'd vote no. We're having a bad run on the field so everyone starts turning on the chairman? Don't see him picking the team or playing at centre half.
We're 15 million quid in the red and have been for a while. Last thing we need is getting rid of the Chairman - or the debt will have to be paid up. Unless a sugar daddy appears - who would need to be a fan otherwise it's commercial suicide - we're better off with old Ron than without him as he knows where the bodies are buried. If we get taken over by someone who THINKS they know what they are doing, in 3 months time it will be case of "oh crap - I thought this was sortable, but actually we're going bust".
You want "answers" but you don't know the questions.

When issues such as this thread covers arise it is because sufficient Southend supporters feel very strongly about the future of the club. Of course if any action is taken running costs will need to be covered and that is where those that really want to see some changes will have to put their money where their mouths are. How many will do that, I don't know. All of that said,

Is it unreasonable that genuine supporters want to know what progress there has been made on building a new ground?
Is it unreasonable that supporters want to know what the financial viability of the club is if FF doesn't happen?
Is it unreasonable to know whether there is anything they can help with to achieve progress?
Is it unreasonable to know if there are other approaches that could be taken?
Is it unreasonable to want to know some information rather than nothing at all?

I think all of these things are very reasonable, and that is why threads like these begin life. We may be completely rubbish at organising anything, but doesn't mean that all those concerns arn't genuine.

Last edited:
When issues such as this thread covers arise it is because sufficient Southend supporters feel very strongly about the future of the club. Of course if any action is taken running costs will need to be covered and that is where those that really want to see some changes will have to put their money where their mouths are. How many will do that, I don't know. All of that said,

Is it unreasonable that genuine supporters want to know what progress there has been made on building a new ground?
Is it unreasonable that supporters want to know what the financial viability of the club is if FF doesn't happen?
Is it unreasonable to know whether there is anything they can help with to achieve progress?
Is it unreasonable to know if there are other approaches that could be taken?
Is it unreasonable to want to know some information rather than nothing at all?

I think all of these things are very reasonable, and that is why threads like these begin life. We may be completely rubbish at organising anything, but doesn't mean that all those concerns are genuine.

Is it unreasonable, is it unreasonable, is it unreasonable..........
It's unrealistic. This is a business and we're £15m in debt. No business does it's dirty laundry in public and on any business deal everyone keeps their cards very close to their chest until the last minute - whether it's negotiations on a new ground, on paying off debt, or on ensuring our survival for another 12 months. No one is going to give you the ins and outs of the exact situation because if people knew what exactly was going on at this company (or most other companies for that matter) you lose your competitive edge. The realities of the situation are probably that we're financially ruined unless we can achieve a, b, and c which means we need d, e and f to do certain things. If someone like Sainsbury's are E and know we NEED them and have no other option, negotiating with them will be much harder. You don't show everyone your hand at a game of poker and expect to win.
The unusual situation here is that this business is a football club so fans want / expect to know exactly what brand of toilet paper is being bought for the director's lounge. But this can't happen - fans need to realise this - and if it did happen that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing long term.

Is it unreasonable, is it unreasonable, is it unreasonable..........
It's unrealistic. This is a business and we're £15m in debt. No business does it's dirty laundry in public and on any business deal everyone keeps their cards very close to their chest until the last minute - whether it's negotiations on a new ground, on paying off debt, or on ensuring our survival for another 12 months. No one is going to give you the ins and outs of the exact situation because if people knew what exactly was going on at this company (or most other companies for that matter) you lose your competitive edge. The realities of the situation are probably that we're financially ruined unless we can achieve a, b, and c which means we need d, e and f to do certain things. If someone like Sainsbury's are E and know we NEED them and have no other option, negotiating with them will be much harder. You don't show everyone your hand at a game of poker and expect to win.
The unusual situation here is that this business is a football club so fans want / expect to know exactly what brand of toilet paper is being bought for the director's lounge. But this can't happen - fans need to realise this - and if it did happen that wouldn't necessarily be a good thing long term.

Well at least we now know that we don't agree on anything at the moment, apart from the bog paper bit, I have no interest in that at all coming from the West Stand.

It'd be nice to know what the aim of this protest is. If it's to get Ron out I'm voting no, Ron isn't a good chairman but I'd take him over Orient or Blackpool's owners anyday and those types are the only ones that will be interested in taking over a club £15m in debt. Unless there's evidence of a credible buyer waiting for a sign that the club is for sale I don't think there's much point in protesting, it's not like Ron is intentionally making us lose money so he's not going to suddenly do a better job because it. All it will do is unsettle the squad more than they already are.

If you really want to force Ron's hand then send back your season tickets and stop going to the matches. Southend United is a business and like all business it requires money. Stop giving him your money if you feel that strongly, nothing else will matter to him.

If you really want to force Ron's hand then send back your season tickets and stop going to the matches. Southend United is a business and like all business it requires money. Stop giving him your money if you feel that strongly, nothing else will matter to him.

The only thing that will achieve, is to bring our imminent collapse that little bit sooner.

This will need planning
A disorganised rabble hurling time honoured cliches will just make us look like any other group of football fans who start moaning when results go against them so, Lets ha e a list of atangible things that need to be done and as the list grows anyone who can assist in a heiving that goal can add their name and the assistance they can provide.
Can someone who is drving the idea start with a few of the objectives they have in mind .

And where is the TRUST in all his to help plan??? NOWHERE

And where is the TRUST in all his to help plan??? NOWHERE
To be fair it wasn't their idea and it has only been suggested today, so I wouldn't expect much from the Trust yet.
Where are any ideas, this needs to be a plan which the Trust can embrace , plan it right and the Trust will get onboard. As yet I have no idea what is actually wanted , I would hazard a guess that the Trust are probably thinking similarly.
Let's start by putting something constructive down so this can be started , then if the Trust don't take it then the complaining can start.
Let's be honest, the Trust can't be criticised for not having done anything when we don't know what is wanted anyway.

Hate to say it but I doubt Ron would be that bothered until he's missing out on your renewal money next summer.

To be fair it wasn't their idea and it has only been suggested today, so I wouldn't expect much from the Trust yet.
Where are any ideas, this needs to be a plan which the Trust can embrace , plan it right and the Trust will get onboard. As yet I have no idea what is actually wanted , I would hazard a guess that the Trust are probably thinking similarly.
Let's start by putting something constructive down so this can be started , then if the Trust don't take it then the complaining can start.
Let's be honest, the Trust can't be criticised for not having done anything when we don't know what is wanted anyway.

Should this not have been looked at by them long before?

Back