• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is Laurent much cop?

Je voudrais?

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
When I first saw Laurent I thoughy he was immense. A goal almost everytime he touched it seemed like a reasonable return from our French chum.

However as the weeks have rolled on I am less and less impressed by him.

My main issues are.

* Big man who never wins any headers.
* Goes down to easily.
* Treads on the ball a lot
* Is French

Appreciate he cant do a lot about the last one but happy to over look that if other three issues are addressed. I kind of feel its an emperors new clothes theory as most people round me seem to like him. On saturday my Dad said he is "pretty decent" whilst Ldn Fatso said "Dat Mutha Funker is dope man-word".

Maybe its just me?

Last edited:
When I first saw Laurent I thoughy he was immense. A goal almost everytime he touched it seemed like a reasonable return from our French chum.

However as the weeks have rolled on I am less and less impressed by him.

My main issues are.

* Goes down to easily.
* Is French

I kind of feel its an emperors new clothes theory as most people round me seem to like him. On saturday my Dad said he is "pretty decent" whilst Ldn Fatso said "Dat Mutha Funker is dope man-word".

Maybe its just me?

Great header for Scannel's goal.

Was crap on saturday though, didn't link up at all with Robinson and you're right about him treading on the ball a lot. I think he'll be great in the future though

Personally i rate him and think he is our hidden gem (sorry trueblue)
I suppose it depends on how many times you've seen him and what games they were. For example if it was my first time i'd seen him play on saturday i'd be far far from impressed. But if you'd seen him play against; col u, leeds, stockport you would see a top notch talent. Another thing is it depends on what role he is played in and who he plays with. He played a target man on saturday, which is definately not his type of role. HE needs a target man, hence why (maybe just my own opinion) him and revs worked so so well. remember leeds at the hall? their defence was all over the place.
I'd like to think ATM it's just a confidence and maybe his fitness is in doubt (but then why play him if he wasn't fit?)
He will come good

I agree actually Dave. I said something similar to my mate on Saturday. He really seemed to set the world alight when he first burst on the scene at home to Swindon. He got a succession of injuries and hasnt really looked the same since.

Hopefully with a good pre-season under his belt he can get back to the early season form next year.

I really like Laurent, he's a handful and opposition teams don't know how to play him. He does go to ground a bit too easily, and he's not great at heading, but what he does with the ball at his feet is weirdly magical - those gangling legs seem to have some kind of strange power over it! He doesn't work with Theo though.

I really like Laurent, he's a handful and opposition teams don't know how to play him. He does go to ground a bit too easily, and he's not great at heading, but what he does with the ball at his feet is weirdly magical - those gangling legs seem to have some kind of strange power over it! He doesn't work with Theo though.

please watch the virgin media highlights!

he isn't a target man, but seems ok in the air. a pre-season and a decent partner alongside him (Robinson is too similar) and I reckon he'll be a decent player

he isn't a target man, but seems ok in the air. a pre-season and a decent partner alongside him (Robinson is too similar) and I reckon he'll be a decent player

revs is the perfect partner for him

Laurent isn't a target man, it has been said before, he played well with Revs. He is at his best running at players or with his back to them, has an amazing turn on him. Laurent and Robinson are too similar. I think he would also do well on the wing, he looked good playing in the right channel when he came on up at Stanford Bridge.

I know, I know! It was about the only header he got all afternoon - unless he got the one that hit the bench as well - we couldn't tell who it was!

* Goes down too easily.
* Is French

The thing is that his performance against Leeds was so amazing that we expected that in every game and when that doesn't happen some people criticise him.

Can't agree with any of them tbh. He has won alot of headers which have set up goals and his first goal was a brilliant header. He goes down too easily because he used to play in France (where it was literally the law to dive!) 'Treads' on the ball alot is a poor statement as you 'tread' of the ball to control it. He was born in France but he is not completely french because he can play for Ivory Coast.

Pre-season is going to do him the world of good. He missed it last season (with us!) and im sure that will improve his sharpness and all round game!

Back