• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

blue79

Banned
I admire Luggy for the work he's done in a short space of time.

But is he correct to state to fans when they should vent their anger if they have to?

And by stating it on eve of a match does it frustrate fans even more that they'll do the opposite to what he says if the team isn't performing?

This may put fear in the back of the players minds.

He is absolutely
Durin nthe game support the team, be the twelf man.
At the end give your opinion.

Some of the input during the game is utterly shocking- and we (incuding me to my shame) sit there and listen to it. Last time our some utter ignoramus who was on Dickos back 2 mins into the game telling him he was useless (said person a good 20st and almost collapsed on his way to get his half time pie). Utterly shameless. Hopefully we in the fullness of time we will have the courage to tell these 'supporters' to do something they enyoy more (like shopping presumably) instead and bu**er off.

Until we are prepared to do that then complaining about it is pointless.

Yes he is 100% right, although I don't criticise others for criticising players, I don't like it and don't do it personally....ever....As he is representing my team and a team I love. even if the player is playing horribly, the manager is not thick and clearly (most of the time) sees everything. I just feel he is correct when it comes to us fans booing and what not at bits and bobs, fair enough as friday night against Rotherham was poor, but the fans need our support. We have to do our bit as fans, loud and proud every game home and away, that can only do GOOD to the players, hearing us cheer THEM on weather they are playing bad or not.

IMO Luggy is dead right.

I think the difference was there for all to see on Monday night; the look on Dicko's face when he was applauded off and the smile on his face when his name was sung out as he walked to the dressing room said it all.
I appreciate that on Monday he'd played his socks off and fully deserved it but it can't be easy to give your best if you're being abused before you've hardly had a chance to touch the ball.
If that is the difference in the reception the players get between home and away then it's hardly surprising that our away form is so much better than that at home.
The reality is that Dicko is our top scorer and we are top of the League; this is not the Premier League or La Liga, we are not Man City or Barcelona, this is League 2 and we are scrapping our way out of it. Our players are commensurate with this situation, we don't have pots of money and we haven't got the silkiest players but some half decent sow ears. We can either accept that and get behind what we have and support them to get out of this League or we can carp and criticise and demoralise them and look forward to another season in League 2; I think I know what I want.....

I fully appreciate where some people are coming from, for instance, I am not a fan of Gilbert but I can see that defensively he is a decent full back however he is poor when it comes to playing the ball forward to a blue shirt when he's won it and I don't like that and could easily get on his back but I also appreciate that he gives a 100% effort during the game and getting at him will not suddenly make him a better player during the game. I'll criticise like hell in the pub afterwards....

Yes he is absolutely correct. Our fans are so counterproductive at home, especially the old prawn sandwich brigade in the East Stand. Be the twelfth man at home, like Shrews fans are, because they way the fans are at the moment causes the players to hide.

He is 100% spot on we have alot of disgruntled fans at home and it certainly doesn't help when either

a) fans abuse individual players
b) fans start chanting martin out.

vent anger after the game!!! We have barely been out of the top 3 and although we have played more than anyone we find ourselves top with soem important fixtures coming up.
Over the course of this season some of our loyal support have stayed away in anger at the financial situation the club has been in during recent seasons. Do you really think staying away will help the clubs finances???
PS will not rest until we secure promotion this season and we need fans behind the players and also behind the club.

Season ticket Renewed already optimistic for what lies ahead, regardless of the clubs finances I'm just concentrating on our team staying top of the league!!!!

1 win in 8 games at home is simply not good enough though and I can fully see the reason behind the frustrations

IMO Luggy is dead right.

I think the difference was there for all to see on Monday night; the look on Dicko's face when he was applauded off and the smile on his face when his name was sung out as he walked to the dressing room said it all.
I appreciate that on Monday he'd played his socks off and fully deserved it but it can't be easy to give your best if you're being abused before you've hardly had a chance to touch the ball.
If that is the difference in the reception the players get between home and away then it's hardly surprising that our away form is so much better than that at home.
The reality is that Dicko is our top scorer and we are top of the League; this is not the Premier League or La Liga, we are not Man City or Barcelona, this is League 2 and we are scrapping our way out of it. Our players are commensurate with this situation, we don't have pots of money and we haven't got the silkiest players but some half decent sow ears. We can either accept that and get behind what we have and support them to get out of this League or we can carp and criticise and demoralise them and look forward to another season in League 2; I think I know what I want.....

I fully appreciate where some people are coming from, for instance, I am not a fan of Gilbert but I can see that defensively he is a decent full back however he is poor when it comes to playing the ball forward to a blue shirt when he's won it and I don't like that and could easily get on his back but I also appreciate that he gives a 100% effort during the game and getting at him will not suddenly make him a better player during the game. I'll criticise like hell in the pub afterwards....

Excellent post & 100% agree..:thumbsup:

I'll be in the East today & no doubt the hardcore whingers in there will find someone else to pick on if Gilberts on the bench again. My 11 y/o daughter has recently started going to matches (home & away) & doesn't understand why some fan's give some players a hard time, in her words 'doesn't the word supporter mean you get behind them?'

Anyway 3-1 us, early goal & good performance in both halfs, my cup is half full..:smile:

1 win in 8 games at home is simply not good enough though and I can fully see the reason behind the frustrations

It's not, but perhaps the abuse certain players get is a contributing factor to that stat. If there was a more positive attitude we may have won a couple which we lost and would be 6 points clear.

One thing that is important is that we maybe get an earlyish goal. This will get the support behind the players

It goes back a hell of a lot further than eight games. I always remember Mike Marsh telling the Echo how the players when he was here used to hate playing at home for this same reason.

I was once told how Mick Buxton (Ex-Huddersfield manager and former Southend coach in the 70's), told his team on a visit to Roots Hall "Keep Southend out for ten minutes and the crowd will do the rest for you" Even today, some of our crowd are slagging the team before we kick-off. Personally I ve seen better Southend teams than this one and I ve seen a hundred times worse. I don't know why these people bother going to football at all!

Yeah, he's right. And when an opposition manager comments on how surprised he is about the stick the crowd give our own players, I think that says a lot...especially when the league position is taken into account.

I think he's completely right, and well said Luggy. I can understand fans letting out an involuntary groan when a pass goes astray or an open goal is missed, but to actually shout abuse at our own players? I just don't understand the mindset - am I missing something, is top of the league a rubbish position to be in? I reckon there's a few of our 'supporters' who would be much happier supporting Moan U, at least they have players more deserving of a bit of stick ;-)

He's absolutely right. Unfortunately, this barracking of our own players goes back as long as I can remember (the 1960s). In the old days it was largely West Ham, Chelsea etc supporters who came down to Roots Hall on a Friday night to "watch the rubbish" as I often heard said, just for something to do. Sadly, a growing number of genuine Blues fans started to join in and so it has gone from there.

I wonder how many of the barrackers would enjoy turning up at their place of work every day if their workmates continually accused them of being rubbish at their job. Personally, I would find it demoralising and demotivating, as must at least some of our players.

Yeah he's correct. He said it in the right way, not telling fans what to do, but asking them to use their noggin, and if they really want to see us succeed, then to keep the negatives out of the players way until after the game when it won't affect their performance.

It's true in every other workplace, that the culture you're surrounded with (positive or negative) has a massive influence on your productivity. Yeah, some people will rise up well against the negatives, but more often than not a negative atmosphere produces a lesser performance than a positive one. I'd reckon 80-90% of good line managers people have had a more positive than negative.

Allow the brain to whir before opening your mouth during the 90. If you're still unhappy at 90, let 'em know what you think. For goodness sake let's not shoot ourselves in the foot.

Back